Nydus worms: Cloaked?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and thought I'd throw it out here. While the worm is "building", it would be cloaked. Once completed, it would be visible as normal.

It would fit in with the more-drop-play-is-better direction that the game is moving.

Would this be crazy op? I suppose the bursting animation could be lengthened, giving the opponent a small window of time before units start popping out.

Whaddya think?
Reply Quote
I would argue that the pop up animation -should- be shorter, it's already wicked easy to kill the nydus while it is building, or 'tunneling', rather... That is the main reason I never use it for drops, and the most offensive I will ever go is to rally my hatcheries into one, and pop the wyrm right outside the battle, or enemy base, or behind a choke point...

Perhaps making the separate wyrms able to burrow and unburrow?
Reply Quote
I agree when you say it is too easy to kill the worm while it is building. That's why I think it should be cloaked while building. Lengthening the burst animation would just be one possible way to offset the buff if it turned out to be too powerful.

I love the -idea- of nydus worms, but I've never found a use for them offensively outside of what you mentioned. They're currently just not viable as a drop behind enemy lines because they are so easily spotted and killed by even a small group of workers.
Reply Quote
naa that would be stupid, make like 5 canals and make them in somones base all at once, they dont see it, then 10 seconds later the entire army just appears.
Reply Quote
I have never had to counter a nydus pop in my base, so I am not sure... But wouldn't a person who sees sudden, building sized red dots on their minimap INSIDE their base stop to look at it?
Reply Quote
I like the idea of it being burrowed, maybe have it only show for the second half of the build time - but allow detection to view it the full time?

I would love if Nydus had a shorter build time.
Edited by LingWraith on 6/13/2013 6:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey ling, see my latest blurb on the pod/levi thread?

Also, I would suggest it be considered burrowed/cloaked for the entire worm creation process, but then it can not burrow to hide afterwords.
Reply Quote

naa that would be stupid, make like 5 canals and make them in somones base all at once, they dont see it, then 10 seconds later the entire army just appears.

I really doubt you can make 5 canals and have your opponent just "not see it." It would require a pretty oblivious opponent. If they do spot it, you just spent a crap-ton of resources on those worms and they will die before any of them pop. Even if one pops, you'll get out what, like 2-3 units before the worm and those units die?

I think the nydus worm gives way too much warning right now.
Reply Quote
i don't use them often, but when i do i kinda use it as a two way proxy pylon. reinforce through it, and in a big ohh crap moment retreat through it. would love to make these better but it'ld be op i think
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 11:24 AMPosted by Gerrent
would love to make these better but it'ld be op i think

OP like speedvacs?

Also, for an interesting discussion/debate, have a look here ^~
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/9244645550
Reply Quote
I would think an upgrade at the main nydus worm to allow all units pop out all at once would be extremely useful.

or something like decrease the amount of time nydus needs to deploy.
Reply Quote
double the health and make them build instantly and they won't be OP. They'll be as annoying as Wp/medivacs though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]