StarCraft® II

Gauging interest in..

Tutorial videos on improving your gameplay as Zerg in HotS.

I've had easily more than 100+ people messaging me nonstop for coaching and I've been too busy to really get around to it with everybody.

I haven't even watched Day9's videos but from the sounds of it, he talks about all the races rather than Zerg specifically.

So I'm wondering how many people would appreciate the potential hundreds of hours that would go into recording, rendering, uploading, and producing these videos.

These would obviously be tailored specifically for Zerg's mechanics and units.

Obviously I plan to start at the very bottom of the totem pole with essentials like resource income and eventually creep my way up to things like timing attacks, etc.

All for free, too.

Thoughts?

Anybody in high diamond or masters with a suave voice who wants to help me produce?

Disregard the platinum tag, I've been too lazy to bother laddering back into diamond/masters.
Edited by Skyling on 6/14/2013 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 01:28 PMPosted by tEhbAtZ
I've had easily more than 100+ people messaging me nonstop for coaching

Ah huh. I guess they are just less enthusiastic on bnet? :)

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. I've made a thread before about personal coaching and my Skype/Battle tag list was packed to full in a few weeks. I eventually just had to remove everybody because I couldn't get any time to myself. This way I can give more generalized lessons to everybody via Youtube.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 01:50 PMPosted by Skyling
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Lets put our thinking caps on and brainstorm on what it could mean! :)
Reply Quote
Judging by your passive aggressive attempts to antagonize me I'd wager you're accusing me of lying.

Why you would cherry pick one statement in a whole post dedicated to the possibility of helping others just to attack me is beyond understanding.
Reply Quote
On a scale of 1-10 I am very interested.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 01:56 PMPosted by Skyling
Judging by your passive aggressive attempts to antagonize me I'd wager you're accusing me of lying.

Passive aggressive? Its called 'satire' my friend.

06/14/2013 01:56 PMPosted by Skyling
Why you would cherry pick one statement in a whole post dedicated to the possibility of helping others just to attack me is beyond understanding.

Lets put our thinking caps on!
Reply Quote
Satire is humorous.

What you're doing is merely aggravating and a waste of time.

Don't use words you don't understand.
Edited by Skyling on 6/14/2013 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Skyling
humorous

Humor is largely based on opinion.

06/14/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Skyling
Don't use words you don't understand

Hahahha... Oh, the irony.
Reply Quote
I have to admit, I am not seeing the satire :\

Anyhow, I will say that if you are going to be "another" video series, you should work pretty hard to make yourself stand out. I have been saturated with videos and most of them offer tidbits of useful information, but most involve someone playing Starcraft a ton better than me, a ton of keyboard clicking sounds and an assumption that I have any idea what I am looking at.

Do you know, to this point, I have not yet heard why creep is a good thing? I figure fast queens are good... but one guy covered 80% of the map with creep - I have no idea why.

Tips that would make a major impact on your videos is

1) Until you have explained and demonstrated a keyboard technique, don't use it. It will force your game to slow down and demonstrate why the keyboard technique is worth using.

2) Use scenarios that your viewers can recreate and playthrough from their own SC2. Not just similar, but give all the specifics (map, opponent, settings) and have them recreate what they have just seen

So on and so forth.

also. scripts are amazing things - that comes from a professional in the video media world.
Reply Quote
In a thread dedicated to helping people, regardless of what you think is joking or satire, it still makes you look like an a-hole.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 02:22 PMPosted by FunkySwerve
a-hole.

Yup. Probably.

06/14/2013 02:22 PMPosted by FunkySwerve
In a thread dedicated to helping people

Lol. Its not. Its about a kid feeding his ego, thinking he is like Day9. Sure, he wears the facade of helping people, but that's not what its about. Its hilarious how people don't have the brain power to infer that on their own.

There are people out there who help others out (me included), but the vast majority of them don't go laying out their accomplishments on the forum. That is what I am poking fun at.
Edited by tEhbAtZ on 6/14/2013 2:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Anyhow, I will say that if you are going to be "another" video series, you should work pretty hard to make yourself stand out. I have been saturated with videos and most of them offer tidbits of useful information, but most involve someone playing Starcraft a ton better than me, a ton of keyboard clicking sounds and an assumption that I have any idea what I am looking at.

That was one of the most major things I noticed in lower level players - They'll try to use terms they don't understand and don't have the most basic elements down like keybindings or larva injecting..

I was thinking of starting with basic show-and-tells of things like saturation, creep spread, and map control. Not just blabbering on about what it is but showing actual examples of it in game as a visual learning guide.

Do you know, to this point, I have not yet heard why creep is a good thing? I figure fast queens are good... but one guy covered 80% of the map with creep - I have no idea why.

I actually just writing the script for a video on creep spread.

Creep spread will -
1. Give you vision of the area creep is on
2. Make your units run faster on it
3. Deny Terran/Protoss building production on it
4. Allow your buildings to be produced there

1) Until you have explained and demonstrated a keyboard technique, don't use it. It will force your game to slow down and demonstrate why the keyboard technique is worth using.

I'm not sure what this means. Do you mean choice of preference for keybindings and methods of larva injecting? Because things like that really boils down to personal preference and can't be taught.

2) Use scenarios that your viewers can recreate and playthrough from their own SC2. Not just similar, but give all the specifics (map, opponent, settings) and have them recreate what they have just seen

That was going to be later on in the series after the basics were down. Things like unit compositions for counters against specific matchups and maps, etc.

also. scripts are amazing things - that comes from a professional in the video media world.

So far everything is just in my head. I don't want to go through the effort if people just don't care.
Reply Quote
No, it's you pulling assumptions from thin air. There was never anything conclusive said by him that would suggest he is trying to be anyone but himself. The over arching factor here is that he's willing to help people. Emulating Day 9 is NEVER EVER a bad thing either.

Since you're a self admitted a-hole, there really isn't much for me to say. Carry on lol.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 02:29 PMPosted by FunkySwerve
Emulating Day 9 is NEVER EVER a bad thing either.

A scrub who makes 300k a year from being an internet playboy? DEFINITELY nothing wrong with wanting to emulate him! (please, note the satire =D).

06/14/2013 02:29 PMPosted by FunkySwerve
No, it's you pulling assumptions from thin air.

Don't worry, analytical thinking is reserved for those with the brain power. No need for you too worry about it!
Edited by tEhbAtZ on 6/15/2013 9:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I suppose it can be seen as attention seeking and narcissistic. It can be well-meaning in spite of that.

I guess what I am saying is, perhaps it's better to follow the "if you can't say something nice,... " rule in this situation. If no one wants his help, then I guess that would answer his initial question.
Reply Quote

Lol. Its not. Its about a kid feeding his ego, thinking he is like Day9. Sure, he wears the facade of helping people, but that's not what its about. Its hilarious how people don't have the brain power to infer that on their own.

Because Day9 does this just for the sake of helping people, refuses donations, and does it all on his own personal time, and absolutely hates being popular. Right?

There are people out there who help others out (me included), but the vast majority of them don't go laying out their accomplishments on the forum. That is what I am poking fun at.

So we might as well just start taking advice from bronze league players instead?

Are you going to take advice on how to cook from somebody who can't boil water?
Are you going to take advice on how to perform CPR from somebody without arms?

You're an idiot.

I don't give a !@#$ about what people think of me. I'm doing this for one reason, and one reason only - I like helping people.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 02:30 PMPosted by tEhbAtZ
Emulating Day 9 is NEVER EVER a bad thing either.

A scrub who makes 300k a year from being an internet playboy? DEFINITELY nothing wrong with wanting to emulate him! (please, not the satire =D).

We can't all be b-net forum grief-ers either, oh...the tragedy.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 02:30 PMPosted by Sanlumiere
perhaps it's better to follow the "if you can't say something nice,... " rule in this situation.

You don't know how narcissists work, do you? The first step to their recovery is-like many things-recognition. Recognition comes by way of realizing one isn't nearly as amazing as one thinks, which comes by satire ridicule.

The big tell behind a narcissist is whether they can take the humor or not. Narcissists can't take even the least bit of humor when it is directed at them, because they consider it a personal attack that is defaming and eroding their facade. Whereas a normal person would have either laughed or taken it for a grain of salt, and then moved on.

Exercising our analytical muscles (re-reading the thread) what does one deduce-logically-of what has transpired?

I do, however, find it funny how I have to spell it all out.... Hahaha. Can you people seriously not see the facts that are right in front of your face? Or, rather, is it that you cannot put 2+2 togethor and figure it out?
Edited by tEhbAtZ on 6/14/2013 2:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 02:35 PMPosted by tEhbAtZ
perhaps it's better to follow the "if you can't say something nice,... " rule in this situation.

You don't know how narcissists work, do you? The first step to their recovery is-like many things-recognition. Recognition comes by way of realizing one isn't nearly as amazing as one thinks, which comes by satire ridicule.

The big tell behind a narcissist is whether they can take the humor or not. Narcissists can't take even the least bit of humor when it is directed at them, because they consider it a personal attack that is defaming and eroding their facade. Whereas a normal person would have either laughed or taken it for a grain of salt, and then moved on.

You don't know what narcissism or how they operate.

Narcissists will simply deflect off personal attacks without even bothering to rebuke the attacker.

That's why they're called narcissists, because they're too full of themselves for the possibility of criticism even getting into their head to warrant a response.

If I was being narcissistic I would have waltzed in here, proclaimed myself the greatest player ever, and called everybody else bad, then walked back out.

Just shut up.

You don't know what you're talking about and you're being argumentative just for the sake of arguing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]