Dumbest generation America has ever produced.

I am so saddened at the state of youth today in America , and even more and more youth all over the world. It was rather shocking to be chatting with grad students and to discover that they lacked even basic geography comprehension skills. Their country was at war on two fronts yet they could not tell you the country that lies between Iraq and Afghanistan. They were not aware how close proximity these countries are too three of America's biggest challengers on the world stage, China, Russia and Iran. If you mentioned super string theory you might as well have said the silly putty theory as far as how much they knew about it.

Don't for a second kid yourself just because you are in College and making good grades does not make you knowledgeable or smart; it just means you are very proficient at cramming and memorizing for tests. This is one of the reasons that after graduating even with a Masters a lot of students are finding corporations do not want to hire them.

What is even worse is that fact that you are the generation who has had access to one of mankind's greatest innovations in learning [A virtual Library of Alexandra right at your fingertips] The creation of the Internet. All of mankind's knowledge that can be easily stored even on something as small as a cell phone. You should be as close to the Greek Hellenic ideal as possible , but yet you are not even a tiny shade of those who have come before you. When it comes to basic knowledge the people living back during the Civil War know more than you.

If this does not change , then it will only lead to one result and that is all Empires come to an eventual end , and America just as Rome did will fall. It has already started to crumble proof being the dismal Educational scores can clearly attest to. And with America and capitalism being such a dominant factor now on the planet when Lady Liberty falls the whole world will feel the loud and thunderous impact of the blow. Our economies are intertwined that you will see world wide depression on all corners of the globe. Even China with its padding its GDP by building whole Ghost cities will not be invulnerable to the affects.

And yet as the world crumbles beneath your feet you are more inclined to take a position of apathy , much like the Roman's did and just want to play frivolous games and think of today as if tomorrow will never arrive. Nothing wrong with games for enjoyment and intellectual stimulation but the sense of priorities has obviously gone very askew.

I'm absolutely positive there will be some that will just say " Shut up were just having fun" or " You are an idiot ! " and I say to them there is no point in having an argument with a fool, even if you win you just appear yourself as a fool. But for those who are intelligent or wise beyond their years you might stop and take pause , perhaps as the passengers of the Titanic should have and realize the Emperor has no clothes and the Empire is a paper one at best.
Reply Quote
I am going to end this topic right now ...seeing as how politically correct only care about their money blizzard deleted it in general already ......so go back to believing every delusion they feed you so they can keep having their stock shares rise ....
Reply Quote
i agree with this to a degree, but not ALL of us are stupid!, sadly most of us are, but what do you expect us to do? we aren't stupid because we were born that way, i remember u pointed out the education system, THAT is what educated us! if THAT is !@#$ what can we do about it? if we really seek knowledge then yes we can use the internet to get that knowledge. but yea what do you want dude why make this is the first place?
Reply Quote
I hear someone raging against the system. Or to put it another way

There is gloom, and doom, where things go boom . . . In Americaaaaaaaaaa!

also i talked about the american educational system in an earlier thread, go look it up it's on this forum. The American educational system is working exactly as intended.

p.s. that was a dexter's lab reference
Reply Quote
People in general are idiots. One American politician (Whose name I don't know) was concerned that people living on one collective spot on Guam would make it tip over. That's a man we elected to represent us. (No, it was not Obama) I'm so sick of idiots being in charge of everything, and am incensed at it.
Reply Quote
06/20/2013 04:58 PMPosted by BodhiLii
Don't for a second kid yourself just because you are in College and making good grades does not make you knowledgeable or smart

Fundamental misapplication of definitions.

What makes a person smart? A smart person can still be ignorant on any number of subjects.

I'm very smart. I have absolutely no idea how to, for example, build an internal combustion engine. Does my lack of knowledge in that subject make me not-smart? I don't think so.

Secondly; not all universities are created equally. And 'making good grades' is hardly a precise definition.

This is one of the reasons that after graduating even with a Masters a lot of students are finding corporations do not want to hire them.

Again, fundamental definition errors. Not all Master's degrees are created equally. A Master's in liberal arts, for example, represents a significantly lower bar than a Master's in one of the STEM fields. Someone with a STEM field Master's has a much higher employability. Guaranteed? No. But then, nothing is.

They were not aware how close proximity these countries are too three of America's biggest challengers on the world stage, China, Russia and Iran. If you mentioned super string theory you might as well have said the silly putty theory as far as how much they knew about it.

Not everyone is American, and not everyone cares about what America's biggest challenges are.

You've also missed a few important countries of note on the world stage; namely, India and potentially Brazil. Does the fact you missed them make you not-smart?

Why would someone who wasn't directly researching superstring theory need to know the inner workings of it? Especially when it's such a controversial theory. Superstring theory is based upon the theory of supersymmetry (SUSY) which has yet to have experimental confirmation.

If this does not change , then it will only lead to one result and that is all Empires come to an eventual end , and America just as Rome did will fall.

A civilization is not analogous to the people living in the civilization. Even if/when the US falls as a civilization, the people living here will still be living here, and become part of whatever arises to take its place.
Reply Quote
"Dumbest generation America has ever produced."

Said by every previous generation referring to the next one, ever.
Reply Quote
What is even worse is that fact that you are the generation who has had access to one of mankind's greatest innovations in learning [A virtual Library of Alexandra right at your fingertips] The creation of the Internet. All of mankind's knowledge that can be easily stored even on something as small as a cell phone. You should be as close to the Greek Hellenic ideal as possible , but yet you are not even a tiny shade of those who have come before you. When it comes to basic knowledge the people living back during the Civil War know more than you.

"Greek Hellenic ideal"? Isn't that redundant? You'd think someone who must surely fit the "Greek Hellenic ideal" would know that "Hellenic" means "Greek."
Reply Quote
Just another pessimist on the site trying to spread word that the world is getting dumber and dumber eve though somehow innovations in numerous areas are being made.

On the world scale Iran isn't number 3 on our hitlist buddy, far from it, we got bigger fish to catch than a country that may not even develop nuclear warheads yet but is only developing nuclear technology.

Kite is right too, if anything you are part of the "dumbidization" process since you clearly did not know what hellenic meant.

And the numerous alexandrias were found by Alexander the Great who spread HELLENISTIC culture not HELLENIC culture so you are still wrong.
Reply Quote
1st paragraph - people are bad because they can't memorize (meaningless) facts.

2nd - Even if you can memorize facts, it doesn't make you smart.

3rd - There's an awesome thing that exists today that makes it so you don't have to memorize facts.

Rest - Doom and gloom, dooooooooooooooooooom!!!!

With the invention of the internet, as well as subscription databases of knowledge, there's no longer as much as a need for data retention, old timer. The way of the future is to have the skills to sift through all of this data, and be able to find the answers you need, when you need it. Someone with these skills and access to google is going to be able to answer far more of your meaningless trivia questions than someone who relies on memorization alone.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 11:50 AMPosted by Imposter
skills to sift through all of this data, and be able to find the answers you need

Don't forget being able to analyze the quality of that answer, looking for bias or poor sources.
Reply Quote
08/13/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Hylozoist
Don't for a second kid yourself just because you are in College and making good grades does not make you knowledgeable or smart

Fundamental misapplication of definitions.

What makes a person smart? A smart person can still be ignorant on any number of subjects.

I'm very smart. I have absolutely no idea how to, for example, build an internal combustion engine. Does my lack of knowledge in that subject make me not-smart? I don't think so.

Secondly; not all universities are created equally. And 'making good grades' is hardly a precise definition.

This is one of the reasons that after graduating even with a Masters a lot of students are finding corporations do not want to hire them.

Again, fundamental definition errors. Not all Master's degrees are created equally. A Master's in liberal arts, for example, represents a significantly lower bar than a Master's in one of the STEM fields. Someone with a STEM field Master's has a much higher employability. Guaranteed? No. But then, nothing is.

They were not aware how close proximity these countries are too three of America's biggest challengers on the world stage, China, Russia and Iran. If you mentioned super string theory you might as well have said the silly putty theory as far as how much they knew about it.

Not everyone is American, and not everyone cares about what America's biggest challenges are.

You've also missed a few important countries of note on the world stage; namely, India and potentially Brazil. Does the fact you missed them make you not-smart?

Why would someone who wasn't directly researching superstring theory need to know the inner workings of it? Especially when it's such a controversial theory. Superstring theory is based upon the theory of supersymmetry (SUSY) which has yet to have experimental confirmation.

If this does not change , then it will only lead to one result and that is all Empires come to an eventual end , and America just as Rome did will fall.

A civilization is not analogous to the people living in the civilization. Even if/when the US falls as a civilization, the people living here will still be living here, and become part of whatever arises to take its place.

People do confuse smart and knowledgeable a lot. In my opinion they are related but ultimately are not the same.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]