StarCraft® II

Having trouble trying to get gold, esp. TvZ

I'm not sure what exactly it is about my technique but I just can't get out of silver and into gold; I have winning streaks only to face a losing streak as soon as I'm faced with my first gold challenger. Anyway, long story short, I would really appreciate any tips or mentors who could help me break into the gold league. Lately I've been ranked 6-2 in silver and I think what's really crippling my chances is my inability to play against zerg. Also, there might be other flaws with my style.
If anybody's interested in helping, please let me know. My # is 1737, so feel free to add me and I can uh, send some replays or however this works.
Thanks for reading :)
Reply Quote
I added you. Your character code is actually 715, not 1737. :) Will be around tomorrow and can help you with replays.
Reply Quote
Haha, are you sure? I don't see you on my friends list. Under ACCOUNT DETAILS here https://us.battle.net/account/management/ it says my battletag is EWen#1737. Who knows, I'm extremely technologically challenged. Thanks so much for offering to help, hopefully we can successfully add one another xD
Reply Quote
Do you use bio or mech? I made the switch to mech and just barely hit gold. You can add me at Qendel.979 and I'd be happy to help if you need a practice partner.

One more thing - your battletag and character code number are not the same.
Reply Quote
My main army is bio (+medivacs) but I also include tanks and whatever else is needed, the usual terran army. Qendel, you're talking about terran right? Just making sure. Thanks a lot for your off to help too! Uh, I have no idea how to add you, sorry. >_< Also, how do you know what your character code is? And how do you add friends? ahah
Reply Quote
Try watching some tournaments for decision making skills and watch some streams and forums to learn builds.

You'll get to diamond atlest in no time, always try teamliquid.net, alot of strat and how to play talks there that are not full of trolls :]
Reply Quote
Battletag is different than your starcraft # I think. Regardless I added you lol
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 07:06 AMPosted by EpicMuleTime
Battletag is different than your starcraft # I think. Regardless I added you lol

Oh yeah, I see it now! I just viewed my posts and found my number, it is 715. xD Weird, I didn't get your request though. I sent you one on the game.

Try watching some tournaments for decision making skills and watch some streams and forums to learn builds.

You'll get to diamond atlest in no time, always try teamliquid.net, alot of strat and how to play talks there that are not full of trolls :]

I've watched some games with Force's commentary and they were pretty helpful, but I guess especially with zerg I'm still really confused and it's hard for me to keep up sometimes. :P Alright, I'll check out the site. HA, I don't know if I could get to platinum, but thanks for the help and support!
Reply Quote
terrancraft.wordpress.com

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/8568379377

Also TL threads are too long and still full of QQ'ers.

Lower level terran lose to zerg due to 2 reasons:

1) fail to split
2) can't scout all-in and don't know how to respond

If you want to watch videos, don't waste time on streams. Watch d'Apollo's youtube series on terran tutorial. Much more condensed than other casters and educational. The terrancraft site also breaks down really strong and solid builds. Reason I say this is because pro replays and streams contain more specific builds targeted at certain players. Good way to improve is to take a consistent FE build and practice it over and over again on ladder until you reach over 70% with that build. Force you to understand build and mechanics more.

Split is mechanics so just practice makes perfect. Terrancraft site has a thread in TvZ called scouting so read up on that.
Edited by ICEdKing on 6/25/2013 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
terrancraft.wordpress.com

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/8568379377

Also TL threads are too long and still full of QQ'ers.

Lower level terran lose to zerg due to 2 reasons:

1) fail to split
2) can't scout all-in and don't know how to respond

If you want to watch videos, don't waste time on streams. Watch d'Apollo's youtube series on terran tutorial. Much more condensed than other casters and educational. The terrancraft site also breaks down really strong and solid builds. Reason I say this is because pro replays and streams contain more specific builds targeted at certain players. Good way to improve is to take a consistent FE build and practice it over and over again on ladder until you reach over 70% with that build. Force you to understand build and mechanics more.

Split is mechanics so just practice makes perfect. Terrancraft site has a thread in TvZ called scouting so read up on that.

Alright, I checked out some build orders and I'll watch those videos if I have time. Thanks for the help. I have trouble microing, especially splitting my forces, so do you know any guides for that sort of thing?
Reply Quote
Lol, I just watched a vid yesterday about different split techniques. I think this can help you out EWen.

http://www.myvidster.com/video/4033113/SC2_Halby_Tips_5_Marine_Splitting_re-made

Also, TvZ is my best matchup, and I'm about your level, so I can help you out.

In TvZ, I recommend a 1 rax fe(woL style, gasless), into 3-rax. Get your factory at about 6:55, (and get an engibay), then a starport as soon as the factory finishes(and a reactor on the factory). Swap off the factory and starport for double medivacs. Get a new reactor on the factory for widow mines, and continuously pump out mines. You should move about 10-11 ish minutes with a Bio force with maybe 2-3 mines.

At your level, there isn't too much of a need to put on early pressure with hellions, or get fast 3-base, any of that stuff. Just commit to a simple attack like above. I agree with Icedking that players have trouble splitting and die to a bunch of banelings. However;

1) Practice your macro; Make sure you never miss scv's, depots, and keep your money low by dumping into barracks and depots in the midgame.(oh yeah,btw, take your third base at around 10:00 when you move out)

2)I've had situations where I simply couldn't micro against banes and got my army blown up about a milion times. However, with strong macro, your army should be able to continuously reinforce, and rebuilds, especially if your are on 9+ barracks. Just keep remembering to increase your production during your attack, and never slip up on macro during an attack. If you can reinforce, stay aggressive, take out a base or two, zerg will not keep up in production and you will win.

3) Get upgrades!! In lowere leagues, i've seen few people remember 2/2 upgrades and stuff like that. If you are battling a zerg with 0/0 or 1/1, you will see your army be much more effective in battle, to the point where many of your forces simply won't die to banelings if you have +2/+2 upgrades or higher

That's what I can give you. You can add me; abHAT 532. I know I'm only in gold league, but I have a decent understanding of macro, and how TvZ works(a bit) I spent all of wings of liberty working on scv production and supply depots. I can look at a replay or two, and mainly give macro pointers, other decisions in TvZ

4) Scouting all ins. this is usually easy to scout. If you don't see a zerg expand by 3:00, get an extra bunker in your natural, prepare to wall off. Make loops in their base. If they are getting fast double gas, expect mutas; get a turret in each mineral line or more. If you see only 1-gas, expect mas speedling, or a roach or baneling bust. In either case, quckly make a factory, and make widow mines, and don't forget a wall-off.

Hope this helps. Thanks!!

from,

abHAT
Edited by abHAT on 6/25/2013 4:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Lol, I just watched a vid yesterday about different split techniques. I think this can help you out EWen.

http://www.myvidster.com/video/4033113/SC2_Halby_Tips_5_Marine_Splitting_re-made

Also, TvZ is my best matchup, and I'm about your level, so I can help you out.

Thanks a lot, abHAT! Just one thing, I don't have the HotS expansion pack so I can't make widow mines. The tips you gave are really helpful though, including that video. I'll add you on the game, though I'm not sure if it'll work since I tried adding other people to no avail >_<
Reply Quote
TvZ is a matchup that is heavily dependent on awareness and army positioning on Terran part.

Ask yourself the following questions:

-Do you know how to move out a terran army across creep?
-Do you know the timings of all possible zerg all ins or how to scout them?
-Are you dying often due to a sudden, unexpected tech switch?
-Do you remember upgrades for your bio?

Regardless of lack of HOTS, I believe the new spawning feature allows you to play HOTS lvl content as long as you have a HOTS account in your party.
Reply Quote
abHAT
i read what you posted and i wouldnt mind adding you tho i cant seem to find you?
i need to learn a bit more on TvZ im absolutely horrible, i get banelings completely destroying my bio army which is expected tho im sure there is a way to defend them, so like what yyou had to say and would mind chattnig in game or what not :)
add me Lemon 673
Reply Quote
Sure Lemon, I'll add you. remember to capitalize the HAT at the end of my name. abHAT as it is, character code 532. If you don't know how 2 add friends, I'll add you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]