StarCraft® II

are razer nagas good for sc2?

to get to high lvls of play are razer nagas used for that or is it possiable to get pro with a razer naga?
Reply Quote
A basic mouse will get you through anything if you're not looking to actually compete. Those who DO own a "gaming mouse" receive marginal benefits. Mainly people buy them because they look cool and techy.
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 12:39 AMPosted by FunkySwerve
A basic mouse will get you through anything if you're not looking to actually compete. Those who DO own a "gaming mouse" receive marginal benefits. Mainly people buy them because they look cool and techy.

Yeah what this guy said. A mouse or keyboard is not going to make you better at Starcraft. Buy one that you like and feel comfortable.
Reply Quote
Bud you're in silver league. 98% of your losses is because you have macro that's full of holes, decision making that's extremely questionable and definitely not efficient, micro that's probably not good, and really REALLY low apm, which depends on you not your equipment.

I got to masters league with a mouse I found in a drawer from the 90s (yeah a BALL mouse) and a $25 keyboard. It wasn't until afterwards that I bought an Orochi and Black Widow and really the benefits are almost unnoticeable.
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 12:39 AMPosted by FunkySwerve

I have to disagree somewhat.

The higher levels of precision allowed by the high dpi and the high responsiveness of the mouse allow for a much better consistency with mouse movements which is invaluable when it comes to control of your game. And while this may be "marginal" in climbing that all important ladder, it's indispensable where it really matters: practice.

However, check craigslist, ebay, etc for used "gaming hardware" and save a few bucks. You can find a razer mouse and keyboard used for the same price of one new.
Reply Quote
I only bought a gaming mouse for the longevity and comfort of the mouse over what it can make me do better. I've gone through 4 mice in the amount of time I've gone through one gaming mouse. Making the higher price tag worth it. Plus I don't have to get used to a new mouse every few months.

Same thing for keyboards, I've gone through many keyboards because they keys wont respond as well as they used to but now that I have a gaming keyboard with mechanical keys I've had great response time and great longevity.
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 08:30 AMPosted by angrykitten

I have to disagree somewhat.

The higher levels of precision allowed by the high dpi and the high responsiveness of the mouse allow for a much better consistency with mouse movements which is invaluable when it comes to control of your game. And while this may be "marginal" in climbing that all important ladder, it's indispensable where it really matters: practice.

However, check craigslist, ebay, etc for used "gaming hardware" and save a few bucks. You can find a razer mouse and keyboard used for the same price of one new.

Meh, stuff like DPI doesn't really seperate gaming equipment from generic mice. It's kind of numbers thrown out my the marketing to justify the high cost. Also high dpi doesn't mean more precision most gamers will only ever use between 800 and 1600 dpi which can be found at a computer store for less than $10. When picking a mouse for gaming, comfort is the most critical consideration. The weight of the mouse, the positioning of the buttons, stuff like that. If they have cool technology or features on top of that, so much the better. This is coming from someone who has a razor mosuse. I also have a steelseries 6gv2 which I prefer for gaming, but ended up swapping out for a cheaper blue switch keyboard because when I'm not playing starcraft I actually have to type on the damn thing.
Reply Quote
You can play with basically anything, as long as it's comfortable. Don't think that gear is suddenly going to make you a better player, you probably won't even notice much of a difference.

That said, the naga is not well suited for RTS. It's an mmo mouse. It's heavier, and the extra buttons aren't useful. Generally you want something light. If you want a razer mouse for sc2, the death adder is a common one.
Reply Quote
I used to have an optical mouse and it couldn't track movements if I moved really fast, like if I went from left to right too fast the pointer would go the top of the screen then down, all over.

Just get a laser mouse that is comfortable for you (I use Razer Imperator).

And also get a mechanical keyboard (I use Rosewill RK-9100 with Blue switch), after using it for 2 or 3 hours you will notice the difference, I used to laugh at people who complained about typing fatigue until I started using a mechanical keyboard and then used a rubber keyboard for comparison. Even if you stop playing SC2 or games altogether I would still highly recommend a mechanical keyboard because it's awesome for typing in general.
Reply Quote
Mouse and keyboard make a huge difference in gaming experience. I advocate high quality equipment over stuff specifically marketed for gamers. Typically the 'gamer' equipment is 20-30 dollars more just because it has the tag.

As Tom said, I can't speak enough good about a mechanical keyboard. Any mechanical keyboard with brown or blue switches is worth the investment and Rosewill offers a high quality keyboard cheaper than Razor.

There's a big difference in mouse quality as well, though FPS gamers are typically pickier about their mouse than RTS gamers. For RTS your looking for a mouse with an accurate sensor that supports a fingertip grip. Preferably one with easy to click buttons and a dpi setting that is comfortable to you.

The razer naga is not preferable for RTS gaming. It's a heavier mouse that supports a palm style grip. Palm grips are preferred for MMOS, as they allow the player to rest their hand on the mouse sacrificing control for comfort. The additional buttons are also designed to be hit by the thumb, which would be very hard to do with a fingertip grip as the thumb helps control the mouse.

Is there a big enough difference to warrant purchasing a new mouse? That depends on how important the money is to you and how good you already are. I can tell you that my high quality mouse died and I had to switch back to an entry level gaming mouse. The difference in clicks alone was enough to make me take a break from the game. That said, if you play casually and don't sink endless hours a day into starcraft, you may not even notice the difference if you switch from your Naga.

As a side note, higher DPI does not necessarily mean the sensor is more accurate. Currently the most accurate mice on the market use an optical sensor (Avago ADNS-3090) and can't go above 3600 dpi. Laser sensors are all prone to positive acceleration, when the mouse is moved fast it's likely to track farther than when moved slowly over the same distance. With a high DPI setting, the positive acceleration is not very noticeable. I played for several years with a laser mouse and was never aware it had positive acceleration until researching mice. If your an FPS gamer playing with 400 DPI, doing a 360 the positive acceleration would be very noticeable.

http://www.overclock.net/f/375/mice
These guys are very helpful and will provide a lot of information if you want to do some research on mice.

A few recommended mouses for RTS gamers would be: Zowie FK, Razor Deathadder, Stealseries Sensei and Logitech G400.. I'm certain there are many other viable options these are just the ones that stand out in my head.

Personally I went with a zowie ec2 evo after doing a fair bit of research. I had to send the first one back as it was defective but I am quite happy with the 2nd one.
Edited by Kaz on 6/26/2013 10:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]