StarCraft® II

latter skill level discrepancy

Anyone else get the feeling that youre fighting people that are way above your skill level?
I just went up against a silver player that I thought i was going to beat easily (barely did) only to see that hes been placed in diamond 7 times before! Ive only gone as high as plat once.
Reply Quote
I've played 2 former diamond and 2 master players so for in gold league. It's a strange place, ladder. Some higher levels like to smurf as well, so that Silver player may well have been Plat or above. You'll never know these days.
Reply Quote
I'm silver with like 10 hots matches played and I beat a diamond last match lol
Reply Quote
I dont look at the ranks.

What I hate is when I am matched against players with superior APM than me. I am only sitting at around 60 to 80 APM and sometimes I am faced against players with APM twice than mine.

They start with cheesy openings and play around me just by using their micro skill then overwhelm me with his massive army from his superb macro. It's like GG before 12 min.

I am talking about decent players with high APM matching me on 1v1 games not that APM clicker who has high APM with LOL army.
Reply Quote

What I hate is when I am matched against players with superior APM than me. I am only sitting at around 60 to 80 APM and sometimes I am faced against players with APM twice than mine.

They start with cheesy openings and play around me just by using their micro skill then overwhelm me with his massive army from his superb macro. It's like GG before 12 min.

I am talking about decent players with high APM matching me on 1v1 games not that APM clicker who has high APM with LOL army.
I'm diamond and only sit around 100 apm so think u should worry less about it.
Reply Quote

I'm diamond and only sit around 100 apm so think u should worry less about it.

I would 100% agree with this. Plat to Diamond isn't APM it's situational awareness, scouting, and understanding what *ACTUALLY* counters in real scenarios.

Course when you're microing your mutas or whatever your APM will go through the roof, but that's about it. The rest is just seriously intensely understanding the game, and it sounds like you're there. Keep your "I'm really actually a diamond" mentality and work your rear off.

What I mean is, don't ever let go of what level you FEEL like you're playing at. Forget what the game says you are. I played consistently at Plat for WoL, I don't care that the game says I'm silver. I'm having a hard time adjusting too. I just remember that I'm Plat regardless of what the game says. You determine your rank, the in game rank is just for the math matchmaking and league placement. Everyone else's rank doesn't mean squat either. Just do a good job, be polite, and train train train.

All of that being said, there are serious issues with the ladder's matchmaker right now. My 1v1 is okay but 2v2 is essentially destroyed.
Edited by Paladin on 6/29/2013 8:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Some people are like me and switch to a different race, which of course I am worse at and get placed in a lower league.

My profile shows diamond last season as zerg in hots. But I've been practicing as Toss in wings and I'm in gold at the moment.

If any of my opponents look at at my profile after they lose to me and see that I made it to Diamond, they might be upset. But I made it to Diamond as Zerg, Toss is a whole different ball game.

Btw, Toss is super easy LOL. Just make a deathball and a-move with storms and win.
Edited by Chaos on 6/29/2013 9:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
well first its ladder not latter, then ill read your thread
Reply Quote
Some people are like me and switch to a different race, which of course I am worse at and get placed in a lower league.

My profile shows diamond last season as zerg in hots. But I've been practicing as Toss in wings and I'm in gold at the moment.

If any of my opponents look at at my profile after they lose to me and see that I made it to Diamond, they might be upset. But I made it to Diamond as Zerg, Toss is a whole different ball game.

You bring up a good point. I don't mind this in 1v1, but in 2v2 it's out of control. We're 2v2 bronze and ran into a master and a grandmaster last night.
Reply Quote
In the later stages of the game, your apm will spike hard if you're not getting supply blocked too much and hitting most of your injects because you should be spamming units out like crazy as you micro too. Not to mention you have to set up smart attacks while you're doing all of that and morphing units in safe places etc. Your apm will go up as a direct result of properly multitasking like a Zerg. Don't worry about your apm in the beginning stages, it means they're spamming, that's all.
Reply Quote
I've thought about how it should take your 1v1 rank into account, but I kinda like the current, earn it first, method they're using because masters will shoot up quickly etc.
Reply Quote
06/29/2013 06:24 PMPosted by ATHEOTES
I've thought about how it should take your 1v1 rank into account, but I kinda like the current, earn it first, method they're using because masters will shoot up quickly etc.

The problem is though, that they aren't. We have prior "masters" and "grand masters" that are either unranked entirely or bronze, yes bronze.

Something somewhere is screwed up very bad. This isn't once, this is every other game, every third game.......... You can set a clock to it. Not in 1v1 but in 2v2.

For whatever reason 1v1 is fine. Maybe it's because the leagues aren't full.

I feel it's an old old defect from WoL where the leagues filled up... zombies started walking the earth... financial crisis... all started because matchmaker and league issues.

Blizzy fix it!
Reply Quote
Since this post Ive made it back into plat, the skill level rose dramatically and now Im starting to win about half my matches. I had a 57% win ratio against T,P and 47% against zerg while i was in gold. So if thats where Blizzard wants me to be thats where Im headed.
Reply Quote
06/29/2013 01:08 PMPosted by llllllllllll

If thats the kind of attitude you have I dont care to read what you might have to say.
Reply Quote
it's supposed to set it so that you win about 50% of your games.

the fact that you won that game means that it's doing a good job. that person's previous rank doesnt matter, only their current MMR is what matters.

maybe he hasn't adjusted well to hots, or maybe it was previously someone elses account (big brother gives account to little brother, for example). Either way, that person is playing on the same level as you, and the shiny medal in his profile doesnt mean anything.

Ive made it back into platinum league since I posted this and the skill level has risen dramatically. If blizzard wants us to win only about half our games then thats exactly where Im headed. I agree with what you said about the medal meaning nothing because most of these players have been placed in diamond or higher. Just gotta take it one game at a time.
Reply Quote
06/29/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Paladin

The problem is though, that they aren't. We have prior "masters" and "grand masters" that are either unranked entirely or bronze, yes bronze.

Something somewhere is screwed up very bad. This isn't once, this is every other game, every third game.......... You can set a clock to it. Not in 1v1 but in 2v2.

For whatever reason 1v1 is fine. Maybe it's because the leagues aren't full.

I feel it's an old old defect from WoL where the leagues filled up... zombies started walking the earth... financial crisis... all started because matchmaker and league issues.

Blizzy fix it!

Its very weird! when I played WOL a gold player was a gold player they were rarely placed higher. Now im usually doing a plat vs plat only to see that theyve been placed in diamond or higher X number of times. Now whether theyre not there now that means they were good enough to get there before. So i think there is a little discrepancy in matchmaking.
Reply Quote
07/05/2013 04:40 PMPosted by FallenAngel

If thats the kind of attitude you have I dont care to read what you might have to say.

The repercussions of having a grade 6 spelling ability is that people will discount what you have to say.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]