StarCraft® II

ZvZ tips?

I've lost the past 5 ZvZs because the enemy has more economy. I dunno how, but whatever I do, they do better, and I do horribly.

I go ling/bling, they do it better, somehow, and get 3 bases before i saturate my third.

They go muta, I try and try and lose.
They go roach/hydra, I lost.

I dunno what to do. Any tips?
Reply Quote
Mirror match-ups are a pain in the .....

Especially ZvZ, Ling/bling fights are the worst. Just be careful about losing all your lings. I always do the single ling trade for 1 bling.

Avoid Muta vs Muta, just put up spores. Maybe hydras.. Maybe try to snipe off their natural with a pack of lings while they harass you.

Roach hydra I feel like can be countered with lings and mutas.

Actually, kind of realized I shouldn't e the one giving out tips.. since I am brand new to HoTS. But these would be the things I would do in WoL.

-Oh and for some reason, I love using nydus worms in ZvZ.. idk why, seems..right.
Reply Quote
ZvZ is a great metric of just how much stuff you can get and how fast. It's different than other MUs because you don't have a period in the beginning where you can just auto-drone for 5 minutes, so it stretches your multitasking harder.

Without seeing replays I'm of course guessing, but if your troubles with ZvZ are anywhere similar to mine, you will improve dramatically by working on injects/droning while doing the ling/bling dance. Even if he's going for crazy heavy ling action, force yourself to make 1 drone every x ling/bling you make. You'd be amazed how many games you win just by pulling ahead in econ while on 2 bases.

2 spines will 1-round a single ling trying to pop your banes. Food for thought.
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Ataraxia
Without seeing replays I'm of course guessing, but if your troubles with ZvZ are anywhere similar to mine, you will improve dramatically by working on injects/droning while doing the ling/bling dance. Even if he's going for crazy heavy ling action, force yourself to make 1 drone every x ling/bling you make. You'd be amazed how many games you win just by pulling ahead in econ while on 2 bases.

This. If you're not losing to obvious things, there's 4 things that'll lose you a zvz

getting supply blocked
bad injects
letting him get a small drone lead (even if he just squeezes 1 extra every few cycles, it'll add up, and you'll lose)
Being too aggresive, but not getting the damage done. If you're attacking and you guys are even, he'll win because of defender's advantage.
Reply Quote
You have to be hyper aggressive in the early game, try to contain them with ling/bane, and start going into mass muta play=easy win if you can micro correctly, keep up on economy, upgrades, etc.

One build that I typically use in ZvZ is speedling expand into mass ling attacks: 9 overlord
14 gas (Pull out drones at 100 gas)
14 pool
15 overlord
15 queen
get metabolic boost
17 lings
keep up drone production until you have EXACTLY 16 drones in your first base, then just
mass lings and try to do damage, whenever you get the chance just tech up towards muta's, till then you'll have to go with mass ling/bane play
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]