StarCraft® II

Counter to Bio Widow Mine?

My main issue is with widow mines in general. I don't care what anyone says, they are op. Blizzard has basically decided that they're not going to change it so I have to deal with it, but seriously. it's a burrowed, re-usable baneling that does far more damage, has a ranged attack, can hit air, and only costs 75 min 25 gas... It costs me the same to make a baneling and I don't get anywhere near the same kind of power.

How the hell is this a mine? It's not a freakin' mine it's a mobile turret that launches grenades.

ways to deal with them?
1. trigger with a few lings. well the terran parks their army over them and that stops that
2. avoid them, try to do that and you get contained
3. try to trigger with swarm hosts, probably your best shot, but still difficult to pull off whereas the terran requires little to no micro to push with them.

I watch plenty of pro games as well on Gomtv and I see bio widow mine and hellbat drops and nothing else. Why? Because more often than not, it works. Some of the best zerg players out there getting beaten by mediocre terran players.

As a result I have become very disappointed with heart of the swarm. The expansion gave Terrans 2 powerful new units that are always worth getting and very effective. It gave the protoss 1 new unit that is only used for early cheese and 1 that only ever gets used in long drawn out macro games. And they gave zerg 1 awkward, clumsy slow siege like unit that doesn't fit well with most zerg strategies, and a caster that everyone has figured out how to nullify now and is essentially useless...

I'm not saying Bio Widow mine is unbeatable, but I do think it's overpowered against zerg as it requires far better micro on the zerg side to stop it than it does for the terran to use it.

Am I wrong? If there is a better counter to it that I and the pro players I've watched have missed, please tell me.
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 10:40 PMPosted by TechanMac
How the hell is this a mine? It's not a freakin' mine it's a mobile turret that launches grenades.

Haha. Yes exactly

it's a burrowed, re-usable baneling that does far more damage, has a ranged attack, can hit air

Not to mention burrowed banes have to be detonated manually. The WM has a range of 5. While mutas have 3, and roaches have 4.

ZvT was the easiest match up for me in WoL, it is now the hardest just because of the WM. Kinda BS.
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 11:01 PMPosted by YenMaster
ZvT was the easiest match up for me in WoL, it is now the hardest just because of the WM. Kinda BS.

It was the easiest for every zerg. Infestors were good.

The only way to beat bio mine is to not mess up. Its very volatile for both sides. One missclick and it could be over. The only advice I can give you is to practice microing your lings and banelings. Also never go swarmhost vs biomine. You can also try counterattacks and thing like that but never run your entire force over a minefield. What i do is select my entire army start the charge and when they are about to enter the minefield pull back the majority of them but leave some of the to attack into the field. This will hopefully kill some marines and set of the mines. After you do that a couple times it is safe to push against the bio. Always have a overseer. The mines are the top priority. You can kill !@# many marines as you want, it wont matter if the mines are alive. Honestly Tvz is the most annoying match up but can also be the most fun and rewarding just because of the micro it takes to fight a terran.
TLDR: Micro is the counter.
Reply Quote
Mech terran? Swarm hosts hydra viper.

Bio Terran? ling/bling/muta into ultra/viper

Air terran? Lol those don't exist but hydras or corrupters would be fine.

The key to both Mech and Bio is with Vipers. Unfortunately they require Hive tech.

If you can survive long enough I'd suggest sling / bling with muta until you can get Hive tech. At that point I usually get Ultras and Vipers, and if he is starting to go heavy mech instead of bio I mix in Swarm Hosts.

Lately I've been staying away from Broodlords because I hate Vikings and I'm more of a ground army build kind of player.

The Widow Mines, and Hellbats are super powerful if your scouting is not PERFECT. If you have excess mineral and your micro is not pro then maybe even mix in some roaches to absorb the Widow Mines. Yes you can use lings, but Roaches micro'd to be spread apart somewhat will absorb two Widow Mine blasts. You may very well sacrifice more mineral worth of lings and larvae to be as cost effective. Then you can still use sling / bling + muta to clean up.
Edited by Kurama on 6/27/2013 11:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's ridiculous how much harder it is to deal with widow mines than it is to use them....It's not right.
Reply Quote
WM are comparable to banes. Easy to use, hard to deal with. Bio must be split and spread very very well in order to even trade with banelings - the same goes for lings to mines.

Split and spread your ling / bane. WM deal friendly fire also and since your lings are melee units if they get blown up the mine should also be detonating on bio.
Reply Quote
WM are comparable to banes. Easy to use, hard to deal with. Bio must be split and spread very very well in order to even trade with banelings - the same goes for lings to mines.

Split and spread your ling / bane. WM deal friendly fire also and since your lings are melee units if they get blown up the mine should also be detonating on bio.

They're not because you actually have to control banelings.
Reply Quote
Everyone has their opinion on balance but no matter how much we hate a particular unit we know in the back of our heads that there's nothing we can do about it. So it's best to work what you have and try your best to handle it with your given tools.

1. trigger with a few lings. well the terran parks their army over them and that stops that

Not necessarily, you can engage the terran by leading with a small pack of lings, since terrans don't micro their mines anyway, majority of your army will be safe and can combat the bio.

2. avoid them, try to do that and you get contained

True, but Jaedong display a counter attack style that went around this at dreamhack. While the terran is making a push, attack his/her bases with counter attacking lings, banelings, and mutalisk WHILE reinforcing your own bases with lings and banelings for the terrans frontal attack. This stretches the terran's multitasking to the limit and if they come out on top after this, well, then, they're just better than you.

3.try to trigger with swarm hosts, probably your best shot, but still difficult to pull off whereas the terran requires little to no micro to push with them.

Swarm hosts are trash against terran bio to begin with

I hope this helped. But remember, just keep fighting. Balance will work itself out eventually
Reply Quote

I would agree if Banelings could also attack air as well. As it is, Banelings have a hard counter by any air unit that attacks ground. The counters to WM should be air, not T3 units when WMs can be had at T1.5 for Terrans.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]