StarCraft® II

7 Game Losing streak

Uff. Granted I died mostly to cheese, it was cheese that I was not familiar with. The rest I died to bad decision making.

Perhaps playing people way below my skill level has made me complacent. Maybe it's just that I still have a lot to learn. It seems like the disparity between Gold - Platinum and beyond is quite vast.

This is mainly a thread to vent frustrations, but since I'm here...what was your longest losing streak? What did you do afterwards? How did you come around and eventually stabilize so that you're more or less even? And vice versa.
Reply Quote
Oh, I am no stranger at all to the 6 or 7 game losing streak.. and it always seems to come when I reach the top of my division. It's like.. some unseen force is actively working to prevent me reaching Platinum in my lifetime.

I know high league players diss us Goldies all the time.. but man I swear the level of competition we face is quite fierce. They paint us as barely above Bronze but yeah it's much, much harder than that >_>
Reply Quote
Oh, I am no stranger at all to the 6 or 7 game losing streak.. and it always seems to come when I reach the top of my division. It's like.. some unseen force is actively working to prevent me reaching Platinum in my lifetime.

I know high league players diss us Goldies all the time.. but man I swear the level of competition we face is quite fierce. They paint us as barely above Bronze but yeah it's much, much harder than that >_>

!

I was on the #1 spot before all this. Crazy part about this losing streak is, I've been playing a lot of Plat players who got demoted from Diamond. And I had one ZvZ where he was Master last season. Maybe it's just bad luck for me. O_O
Reply Quote
If they're cheesing it's acceptable to pull tons of workers. Low league players tend to think they'll be behind if they exert too much but honestly you'll come out ahead if you stop whatever bullX!#@$ they're up to. Also anything below diamond = lots of work needed to be done with macro.
Reply Quote
Last season I had a 17 game losing streak when I was pushing for diamond, figured I just wasn't good enough so I played unranked games for a couple of days (about 30 games), went back to pushing for diamond and got it after winning about 85% of my games. Sometimes it just means you need to assess your play style/practice more. Or it might mean you're just having bad luck! Just keep playing! Losing sucks.
Reply Quote
Right after I hit diamond last season I went on something like a 25-game losing streak. Almost dropped myself right back into Plat.

It's what convinced me to stop focusing on ranking up, and instead focus on what I was weak at (at that time, macro while fighting was a BIG weakness in my play). For a while I was playing games without gas(spine/spore, hatch, queen, drone only) just to force myself to make drones no matter what else was going on. I had a lot of ZvZs where the other guy just sorta ran lings into a spine forest in confusion, thinking I must have lost my mind.

IMO if you go on a bender and you just can't snap out of it, figure out what you're doing wrong and play unranked for a while working to fix it. Try uploading replays to ggtracker, or just re-watch them a few times to figure out where you went wrong. Once you find those weaknesses, drill them until you don't have them anymore.

By the end of last season, I was able to improve my macro enough that I was staying in the top ~10 of diamond consistently. That was only like a month and a half of working at the same thing.

Now I'm drilling myself on scouting and learning different build orders to vary my play. If you're curious, I'm in plat again, and I'm playing mostly unranked. I'm okay with that. The players are competent enough that I'm not getting dull, and I can really focus on the things I need to work on rather than struggling to get wins. Learning a new build results in a lot of funky losses, and trying to get one right leads to a lot of macro slips, which lets me continue working to reinforce what I've already practiced.

tl;dr: Make your losses work FOR you by using them as a roadmap to help you get better. A bad losing streak can be a great way to identify what you're falling short on.
Edited by Ataraxia on 6/25/2013 6:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually what Ataraxia said holds a lot of weight.. Something I need to get into my head is that it's a good idea to watch your replays. I often would just shrug it off "Whatever.. I lost.. I know what I did wrong, there's no need to watch the replay." Or even "Ugh that was frustrating.. i don't want to re-live that bs game."

But no, really. Watch your replays. Every game you lose, you should watch the replay. Compare worker counts with you and your opponent at various time stamps. Any time either of you harasses or pushes out, any kind of engagement or attacking... check resources lost from both players, watch the battles, take notes. It may sound silly, but literally take notes.

I know this can help improve your game a LOT simply by watching replays.. looking at that worker count. "Oh, THAT'S when he got ahead of me." Sometimes what you thought damaged you didn't, it was their macro or whatever.. that's why we sometimes win games after taking heavy damage.. because our opponent just didn't/couldn't macro behind the attack.. meaning whatever damage they did got negated by their lack of worker production etc.

It's important.

I don't hardly ever watch my replays it's something I'm going to start doing by habit.. because I'm serious about improving, which means well yeah you don't have a choice. Watching your losses replays is pretty much mandatory and it's probably one of the biggest reasons I haven't improved is that I don't do it much.. so I'm going to start you should start too :D
Reply Quote
Thank you for the kind words and helpful advice!
Reply Quote
I just had a 7 game losing streak last weekend. I was top 8 diamond most of last season, got dropped to Plat in the wave of demotions, and I have been playing awful since. The 7 game streak put uninstalling SC2 into the discussion for me.
Reply Quote
I expect losing streak if I play around 10PM to 12 MN. Who plays at those times? Most of them are hardcores and I dont mind losing to them.

If I want good win rates, I play between 4PM to 7PM. That's when I would face some noobs like me. I dont think noobs would play at midnight.
Reply Quote
I expect losing streak if I play around 10PM to 12 MN. Who plays at those times? Most of them are hardcores and I dont mind losing to them.

If I want good win rates, I play between 4PM to 7PM. That's when I would face some noobs like me. I dont think noobs would play at midnight.

Lol I play at midnight and 1am sometimes. I was on so late once I got matched with the same guy 3 times in a row. Guess we were the only players in silver...
Reply Quote
My longest one wayyy back a few seasons ago was 10 games. Now, if i go more than about 3 or so, i force myself to take a break and stop for the day (and try to take a small 5-10min break between every game, win or lose).

After a losing streak, i go do something that doesnt require effort like watching streams, to cool off.

I learned really quickly, never play while angry. As soon as i do, it's a nosedive to the bottom.
Reply Quote
#1 plat last night played broodwar for a couple of hours came back to sc2 cheese cheese & more cheese lost 5 in a row.... now 14th
Reply Quote
Finished top 8 plat last season, playing mostly high plats and diamonds. Won my placement match then lostmy next 7 games or so to players that were either diamond or masters the prior season. Very frustrating, since then I've just played unranked. Everyone goes through these bouts, I know I've gone through a couple in the last year, usually after feeling like I was doing pretty well.

The good thing that comes out is it gives a good opportunity to practice where your weak, for me it's been working on spreading creep through the whole map and improving my scouting : )
Reply Quote
Right after I hit diamond last season I went on something like a 25-game losing streak. Almost dropped myself right back into Plat.

It's what convinced me to stop focusing on ranking up, and instead focus on what I was weak at

I think this is something pretty important to note. I've noticed that all of my worst losing streaks come when I'm close to a promotion because I lose focus on what I should be doing and start focusing on my rank. I was close to approaching masters a few seasons ago when I went on my 13 loss streak and took masters off the table that season.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]