StarCraft® II

How do you beat mass Muta as protoss

They can dodge storms easily, they can harrass your bases and peaceout before you arrive to defend them, and if you let them escape they'll come back with full health in no time. I know Phoenixes can kite endlessly, but for that you need a good engagement, and I know Archons can kill them easily, but they'll just fly away. Also to counter their lings you need colossi, which they can easily take out.
And lastly, carriers are supposed to counter them, but they're not very cost effective.

EDIT:
I don't know which game is gonna be mass mutas, stop acting like I have map hacks.
Scouting their tech early is hard since you either have to risk losing your mothership core or wait for 100 energy on a sentry.
Edited by Uboran on 7/21/2013 6:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
You discourage them from going mutas by opening stargate and pretending mutas are balanced.

They are not, but then lots of things protoss have crush zerg so overall its not bad.
Reply Quote
How are they not?

Make some phoenix, some stalkers and a bunch of archons = insta gg.
Reply Quote
It depends on your build. Opening stargate is not the only option. But if you don't you need to have a clear understanding of what your strategy is. Sometimes if you scout muta your response will pretty much be to hit an attack timing, other times it'll be to get stargates and cannons up, it all depends on what your starting build and strategy is.
Reply Quote
open stargate and don't lose your phoenix
Reply Quote
Opening stargate deters muta tech switches if you keep your 4-7 phoenix alive.

If not do an all-in designed to kill them before Mutas.
Reply Quote
open stargate and don't lose your phoenix

Easier said than done.
Edited by Uboran on 7/21/2013 6:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
simple. Once you see him going ALL IN MUTA, you just spam pheonix. Throw down fleet beacon , with upgrade on pheonix.

Then just keep on dancing ^.^ Instant win for you, 99% of time they will remax hydra/roach once u kill muta.

keep moving with pheonix dont fight 1v1, pheonix only are good because they can shoot and move so when he sees your pheonix and runs away just chase him all the way back you will be able to kill so many
Reply Quote
forge fast expand into robo. Pump a few immortal/stalker/zlot. Scout with pheonix hallucination from sentry. then see mutas, throw double starrport + pump nothing but pheonix. just kite mutas around for 5 minutes. GG.
Reply Quote
Scout, hold off with cannons and stalkers while teching to phx. Attack before Ultras or turtle on 3 robos.
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 06:49 PMPosted by iNfEsTaTiOn
forge fast expand into robo. Pump a few immortal/stalker/zlot. Scout with pheonix hallucination from sentry. then see mutas, throw double starrport + pump nothing but pheonix. just kite mutas around for 5 minutes. GG.

Never follow this advice, he didn't say who would end up saying 'gg'.

The fact is zerg doesn't have to over-invest into mutas, especially if just saw your hallucinated phoenix sail over his nascent spire. You over-invest into phoenix, you get crushed by the tech switch. As I said earlier, there are loads of builds you can do, but what you most of all need to do is to know the appropriate response *within the context of your chosen strategy*, and scout carefully and often. Pay attention to how much gas he has, consider what else he's done.

If he has nothing but speedlings and a lot of banked gas and melee upgrades, then a lot of mutas is quite possible, but he's also well situated to switch into ultras. Watch out for the spire, watch out for hive timings, watch out for everything that's going on. Be prepared to execute your preferred response.
Reply Quote
They can dodge storms easily, they can harrass your bases and peaceout before you arrive to defend them, and if you let them escape they'll come back with full health in no time. I know Phoenixes can kite endlessly, but for that you need a good engagement, and I know Archons can kill them easily, but they'll just fly away. Also to counter their lings you need colossi, which they can easily take out.
And lastly, carriers are supposed to counter them, but they're not very cost effective.

EDIT:
I don't know which game is gonna be mass mutas, stop acting like I have map hacks.
Scouting their tech early is hard since you either have to risk losing your mothership core or wait for 100 energy on a sentry.

When you get the chance go robo to get the obs out to scout his base, if you see him going lair then attack before he gets the lair finished, because usually around that timing the zerg is droning super hard to get the econ he/she needs to fund for Mutas. Hope this helped!
Reply Quote
whining balance troll post, make phoenix, sentry 100 enegry scout is cheap as ^#$^, end of discussion
Reply Quote
http://imbabuilds.com/hots-protoss/hots-pvz/pvz-twilight-all-in/

so instied of sending the DTS to his base warp in 4 dts and morph 2 arcons. Then follow up with as much blink stalker as you can afford. You will most likely need to warp in a few zellots. From my experience this build destroys muta ling or heavy upgraded ling styles.
Reply Quote
You discourage them from going mutas by opening stargate and pretending mutas are balanced.

They are not, but then lots of things protoss have crush zerg so overall its not bad.

the problem is, in silver, I go quadruple stargate with early pheonix production and a fleet beacon, and after scouting it they still go muta and usually win.
Reply Quote
1) make phoenixes.
2) there is no 2, just make phoenixes.
Reply Quote
Actually carriers are very strong against mutalisks, and you can use them for killing hive clusters as well, and they are better against a wider range of targets.

Just saying....It's not JUST phoenix.
Reply Quote
Actually carriers are very strong against mutalisks, and you can use them for killing hive clusters as well, and they are better against a wider range of targets.

Just saying....It's not JUST phoenix.

And obviously there is a viable transition into carriers before the muta number is so high it will pick of any carriers you happen to make :0

With other words:

If you make carriers to counter mutas, you're gonna have a bad time.

@ OP

07/22/2013 08:28 AMPosted by eGOFortuna
make phoenixes.
Edited by LikeABoss on 7/22/2013 9:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 06:42 PMPosted by iNfEsTaTiOn
simple. Once you see him going ALL IN MUTA, you just spam pheonix. Throw down fleet beacon , with upgrade on pheonix.

Not simple because it's too late by then.

You have to either open sg or be really good at scouting and know that they are about to go mutas so you can do a timing attack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]