StarCraft® II

Out of Curiosity...

Would anyone be interested in a fantasy (maybe somewhat steam-punk) RP focused around medieval-esque politics?

I was thinking there would be a number of lords (dukes, barons, etc) all in disagreement over something (as for what that would be, I have no idea right now) and expected sort of chaos would ensue. Assassination attempts, shifting alliances, bribes, mystery, intrigue, tavern brawls, etc.

The players themselves would control minor lords, their assistants and advisors, knights, wandering mercenaries, etc.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
Sounds like every cliche fantasy story.
And no... None, I'm not even joining this.

A). Politics. Hate them.
B). Because I don't want to.
C). Cliche as hell can be.
D). Gonna be your generic Fantasy from the sounds of it.
E). People gonna be doing overpowered bull!@#$.
Reply Quote
What CR said.
Reply Quote
Would anyone be interested in a fantasy (maybe somewhat steam-punk) RP focused around medieval-esque politics?

I was thinking there would be a number of lords (dukes, barons, etc) all in disagreement over something (as for what that would be, I have no idea right now) and expected sort of chaos would ensue. Assassination attempts, shifting alliances, bribes, mystery, intrigue, tavern brawls, etc.

The players themselves would control minor lords, their assistants and advisors, knights, wandering mercenaries, etc.

Thoughts?

Have you considered something other than a medieval fantasy setting?
Reply Quote
08/02/2013 05:34 AMPosted by CrymsonRaven
A). Politics. Hate them.

Fair enough. they're not for everyone.

B). Because I don't want to.

Not my problem.

C). Cliche as hell can be.

So what? If you do it right, it'll good.

D). Gonna be your generic Fantasy from the sounds of it.

Again, so what?

E). People gonna be doing overpowered bull!@#$.

It's called the DM keeping things under control.

08/02/2013 05:58 AMPosted by Durani
Have you considered something other than a medieval fantasy setting?

We had something like this before but in a SciFi setting... and well, things went sideways. If you're curious about it, just look Separatist Space.
Reply Quote
Hmm... maybe. Two reasons that I probably wouldn't join though. For one, I don't think I'd have time. Nothing against the RP itself, but I just can't join any more and still have time to be active in all of them. And secondly, I'm not into politics all that much. If I had enough time I might still join just for the sake of trying something different, but I don't.
Reply Quote
I was super excited, actually. Then I read how everyone else felt about it and was a little disappointed.

Post #5 pretty much cleared up all your issues, CR. Mostly because the issues were pertaining to you... Which is fair enough, since he asked for your opinion.

I, for one, love politics and would join in a heart-beat. Overpoweredness can be solved easily by lots of OOC communication and a strong DM.
Reply Quote
Or y'all get a DA and come to the Joeyrays chatroom. While we're shooting out ideas, I've had one come to mind that will take DB's place and approach DH from a different angle, but take place in a more modern setting rather than the futuristic SC setting.
Reply Quote
Separatist Space.

And Dacder made a Space Political RP ... didn't even look at it after I realized it was political ... not really interested in politics ...
Reply Quote
@Thane:
And I thought you only did SC RPs... :P
Thanks for the vote of confidence anyway.

@Zarkun:
I still don't have a DA account... Or a Steam for that matter...

@TLM:
Please note that I said medieval-esque politics, preferably at their dirtiest. (Assassinations, bribes and double crossing to name a few points) Still, if you're not interested, that's cool.
Reply Quote
Just need a DA. It helps us all. Anyways, I just need a name for the RP and I can get a PRP up.
Reply Quote
08/02/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Warhawk
Assassinations, bribes and double crossing to name a few points

These all happen in modern and likely Future politics too ...
Reply Quote
@Thane:
And I thought you only did SC RPs... :P
Thanks for the vote of confidence anyway.

That's because all the non-SC RP's... Are filled with OP unrealistic depthless characters.

But if it's based around politics, I can't imagine how downhill it could really go.
Reply Quote
Thane, you're about as clueless as they come. You haven't even been in a none SC RP in a long time, so how the hell would you know?
Reply Quote
I read practically every post in Joeyray's, Zarkun. Please... And Thank you...

I didn't mean anything by the gesture, it was just a simple observation. Please don't take any offence to that.
Edited by ThaneKrios on 8/3/2013 10:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There really aren't that many none SC RPs anymore, though, technically PKA and such doesn't count.
Reply Quote
True. I meant in general.

It takes a truly skilled writer to make the average joe just as interesting as a half-man half-demon cliche whatever.

Take Jane Eyre for example. Charlotte Bronte took an average women and made her more interesting than any other character in any RP, book or film I've ever seen.

(Edit) So to draw my conclusion, since SC based RP's can't have OP Cliche half-Demon characters, it forces writers to really put the rubber to the road and make actually decent characters. Much like... Oh... What was your character in SF's one RP about average people becoming mercenaries? ... Chris? No... Anyways, he was actually very well written and he was just an average person. It really showed how good of a writer you are.
Edited by ThaneKrios on 8/3/2013 10:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That's your opinion. Honestly, if some RPs could make it past a few pages, it would help.
Reply Quote
08/03/2013 10:53 PMPosted by ThaneKrios
(Edit) So to draw my conclusion, since SC based RP's can't have OP Cliche half-Demon characters, it forces writers to really put the rubber to the road and make actually decent characters. Much like... Oh... What was your character in SF's one RP about average people becoming mercenaries? ... Chris? No... Anyways, he was actually very well written and he was just an average person. It really showed how good of a writer you are.

Quoting my edit.

08/03/2013 10:54 PMPosted by Zarkun
That's your opinion. Honestly, if some RPs could make it past a few pages, it would help.

Very, very true also. The lack of character development is a huge problem in Joeyray's. Success in RP's comes from character development and a good plot. The DM can only provide a good plot. It's up to the RPers to make good character development.

I believe that is because most of us are rather new writers. If we all put our minds to it, we could make some truly remarkable work.
Reply Quote
Flight of the Eagle? Something like that...I'll have to look him up.

Edit- Chris Hansen, the only plain, simple character I've done since joining JRB's. Before that was Rave "The Shadow" Mallard, a Spectre.
Edited by Zarkun on 8/3/2013 11:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]