StarCraft® II

Call to Action: August 19 Balance Testing

Community Manager
We’ve just published a new Balance Test Map to the StarCraft II Custom Games list entitled "Bel’Shir Vestige LE (2.0.10 Balance v1.1)". This time, we’ve reverted the Viper energy increase from the last iteration of the test map, and replaced it with a buff to Ultralisk health. Our plan is to first consider the changes below, and potentially test additional changes after reviewing your feedback. Here’s what we're testing:

Terran

Armory
  • Vehicle and Ship Weapon upgrades have been combined into just one upgrade.

Zerg

Overseer
  • The Pneumatized Carapace upgrade now increases Overseer movement speed from 1.88 to 3.375 (previously 1.88 to 2.75.)

Ultralisk
  • Health increased from 500 to 550.

With version 1.1 of the Balance Test Map, we reverted the following change:

Zerg
    Viper
  • Starting energy increased to 200.

If you’re interested in the reasoning behind these changes, you can check out this Forum Thread written by David Kim and the StarCraft II Balance Team. Additionally, you can read David Kim’s thoughts on the new Ultralisk change here.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support. We kindly ask that you take your time to play plenty of games on the balance test map before offering your thoughts on the changes above.

Thank you!
Edited by Spyrian on 8/20/2013 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Cool!

cant wait to use this!
Edited by GoGoGo on 8/15/2013 7:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Looking forward to it!
Reply Quote
nice a half decent patch for a change
Reply Quote
I can't wait to make my Overseers do the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs. Veeeeyooooooom!
Reply Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing mech build streams!
Reply Quote
Wow, just played a few games with another, and I must say that mech really starts to pack a punch fast against zerg at least. I had 3/3 up so fast it was awesome. I'm not the greatest player (1v1 silver, 2v2 plat) but I watch a lot of streams and theorycraft all day haha. The fast ups can help account for the lack of units when compared to going bio, to make the early game easier, and the late game start to turn in your favour due to the fact that you retained more units throughout the game. The viper did not really become a factor in my games, but with good tank micro (hello Flash) ensuring tanks aren't clumped should make vipers only a threat due to abduct and the fact the 3/3 vikings are in the sky so fast.

Against protoss, yeah, the fast upgrades will help, but more so in regard to air upgrades, mech on the ground gets stomped by protoss, all except hellbats really, so Hellbat/skytoss might actually be doable. regardless, the upgrade change is a path in the right direction, but something else might still be needed (more powerful sieged tanks/thor +shield damage change).

All in all, looking forward to more changes like this, more so as a viewer, as bio has gotten old quickly!
Edited by SRJB on 8/15/2013 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
yay! testing time

i mean, hellion banshee time!
Reply Quote
Considering my internet connection sucks... time to go mass Overseers vs the ai before they change their mind.
Reply Quote
I see they're not testing any Protoss buffs. Have Protoss been dominating the pro scene lately?
Reply Quote
In europe, yes, but these changes don't buff anyone wholesale, they're targetted at specific areas, improving Terran variety, giving zergs more robust detection against mines late game and an answer to the (hopefully) new and improved mech.
Reply Quote
You think vipers are underused Blizzard? Maybe you forgot about tunneling claw roaches, corruption, neural parasite, infested terran, hatch tech burrow/ovie speed, overlord drop, and to a lesser extent nydus.

Oh yeeaaahh... those things.
Reply Quote
08/15/2013 08:06 PMPosted by Cerebro
I can't wait to make my Overseers do the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs. Veeeeyooooooom!

A Parsec is a unit of measurement :P

1 Parsec = 3.08567758 × 10^16 meters
Reply Quote
08/16/2013 01:12 AMPosted by Fuumanchu

Imagine all hyper drives can go a set specific speed. With a hyper drive you are going really really fast, so you can't go through planets or asteroids. The reason why you describe the "Kessel run" in a minimum distance is because the navigation computer is more advanced and can calculate a better route or the one who set the route is more experienced.

So you actually can't say that with an increase of speed you will make a Kessel run in more or less parsecs because it is a unit of distance, not time. If you could have made it less than 12 parsecs before the increase in speed, you will still make it in the same amount of distance.
Reply Quote

Imagine all hyper drives can go a set specific speed. With a hyper drive you are going really really fast, so you can't go through planets or asteroids. The reason why you describe the "Kessel run" in a minimum distance is because the navigation computer is more advanced and can calculate a better route or the one who set the route is more experienced.

So you actually can't say that with an increase of speed you will make a Kessel run in more or less parsecs because it is a unit of distance, not time. If you could have made it less than 12 parsecs before the increase in speed, you will still make it in the same amount of distance.

If you look at this from a relativistic point of view, it's technically correct to say (as a hyperbole) you can "do the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs" because, as you approach the speed of light, distances literally shorten. So if you interpret it like he's exaggerating by comparing the overseers speed to the speed of light, it is a valid expression to say you can get from one place to another in "less" distance.

If you don't believe me, google Lorentz contraction.
Edited by Deckard on 8/16/2013 1:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Not neccesarily true. A faster ship could more closely approach gravitational wells while still maintaining escape speed. A ship's course could then be optimized closer to a straight line, not needing to deviate around large celestial bodies. A straighter course being shorter than a circuitous one, the distance of the parsec run could indirectly indicate a faster ship (or a more advanced navigational computer).
Reply Quote
Im confused. Are they buffing the millenium falcon or nerfing it?
Reply Quote
Overseer is awesome, now it can actually keep up with army.

Vipers now actually dont feel gimped anymore. Before having to get infestation put, get hive, then build them, then consume before even being able to use them.

Now you can actually do all that and they work right when you make them. very nice.

Still wish you would take a look at burrow, 100g is still way to expensive, for its limited use.
Edited by RMJ on 8/16/2013 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote

im confused. Are they buffing the millenium falcon or nerfing it?

New Zerg unit.
Reply Quote
A parsec is slightly longer than 3 light years.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]