Balance Patch

Developer
Hello everyone,

We thought it would be good to give another update on balance.

We still believe TvZ late game is tough for Zerg right now, but we'd like to approach the fix/fixes in steps than going with big jumps that might potentially break other things.

Therefore, we'll be looking to push out the Overseer speed buff change, continue testing additional changes on the balance test map as needed, and we'll see how the Overseer speed buff change affects the game before making another call.

Another popular area you guys bring up these days and that we agree with is making mech more viable. We will continue testing the mech upgrades change, or other changes if needed, in order to really figure out what the best direction for mech is.

Thank you and please look forward to a balance patch soon with this change:

Overseer
The Pneumatized Carapace upgrade now increases Overseer movement speed from 1.88 to 3.375 (previously 1.88 to 2.75.)
Reply Quote
Thanks.
Reply Quote
If it does become apparent that zerg needs a late-game buff TvZ, I'd suggest making blinding cloud affect widow mines or a buff to broodlords.
Reply Quote
Another popular area you guys bring up these days and that we agree with is making mech more viable. We will continue testing the mech upgrades change, or other changes if needed, in order to really figure out what the best direction for mech is.

Thank you blizzard. We need more variety in each matchup, not just with mech but with roach hydra viper, skytoss, etc. But mech is a great place to start.
Reply Quote
What the 3 above me said :).

EDIT: Damn it Sly.
Edited by Lethe on 8/26/2013 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Good to see this pushed out a bit earlier. I know the rest of the balance changes proposed are still in testing, but I feel like this one is a no brainer. Even just watching the WCS finals, I found myself thinking that this would have been a good thing to have.
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Nasreth
Please address the widow mine specifically. Overseer buff is a good start to help it keep up with muta, but it does not change the widow mine in specific engagements. The unit is simply far too cost effective with minimal micro.

I agree. I think a wm radius nerf combined with a tank vs armored or supply buff would be the most sensible way to move forward
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 11:39 AMPosted by Snow
a buff to broodlords

speed buff to broodlords

cost reduction to carriers
cost reduction to tempest
cost reduction to bcs
Reply Quote
I'm switching to zerg.

Not because I think this makes them OP.

I'm just going to rush SANIC THE OVERSEER every game.
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 11:43 AMPosted by noseleather
a buff to broodlords

speed buff to broodlords

cost reduction to carriers
cost reduction to tempest
cost reduction to bcs

This looks pretty good too, id like to see a tempest health nerf too though.
Reply Quote
<3 you blizzard
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Nasreth
Please address the widow mine specifically. Overseer buff is a good start to help it keep up with muta, but it does not change the widow mine in specific engagements. The unit is simply far too cost effective with minimal micro.

^Agreed. I would also enjoy seeing a viable Neural Parasite again, but that's just me...
Reply Quote
I'm switching to zerg.

Not because I think this makes them OP.

I'm just going to rush SANIC THE OVERSEER every game.

to bad contamination costs 125 energy instead of 75 :(
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 11:45 AMPosted by SlylockMcFox
This looks pretty good too, id like to see a tempest health nerf too though

think making back to 6 supply would be better
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 11:48 AMPosted by RabbitHazard

^Agreed. I would also enjoy seeing a viable Neural Parasite again, but that's just me...

they just have to make NP's range 8, and lower the attack priority of it back to normal.
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 11:36 AMPosted by Dayvie
We thought it would be good to give another update on balance.

First off, thank you, you guys really have no idea how much your communication means to us, transparency between you and us really helps the community grow and fosters discussion and testing for balance maps, keep it up please.

Overseer change is awesome, I like it. But a previous poster pretty much highlighted exactly what I think.

Overseer buff is a good start to help it keep up with muta, but it does not change the widow mine in specific engagements. The unit is simply far too cost effective with minimal micro.

This to the T, it is a great start, but it doesn't really help with the problem which is undeniably the Widow Mine, it is just flat out too strong for how little is required, and Overseers don't kill them. Strengthening Zerg's ability to combat the Widow Mine in a skillful way (Such as making Blinding Cloud work vs. Mines, not sure why this can't be tested, mines are pretty fast with drilling claws, it would make micro and control a WAY more significant part of ZvT engagements) is what will ultimately need to happen.
Reply Quote

Damn. Was really looking forward to playing with the upgrade change for Mech on ladder...but alas, I hope the change you end up making removes the pigeon hole of strategies we are currently forced into.
Reply Quote
Completely painless post, and means so much to the community. Good call :)
Reply Quote
Thanks for the support for mech DK. <3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]