StarCraft® II

StarCraft II Art Tools Open Beta - Feedback

(Sticky)

Community Manager
The StarCraft II Art Tools is now in open beta. Click here to learn more and to download the tools.

Please use this thread to report any bugs and provide feedback. Thank you!

Patch Notes

• More Comprehensive Documentation
    • Extra Tutorials such as Ragdoll Physics, M3A files, and advanced animation topics.
    • Full Technical Documentation for Nodes and Materials
  • More Example Files
  • Cliffs and doodad examples have been added to help make new tilesets.
  • Improved Tool Stability
    • Fixed a crash that could occur with the Behavior Editor
    • Fixed a crash involving Cubic Environment mapping
    • Fixed a rare crash when cloning particles
    • Fixed a crash that could occur when exporting an SC2 Physics Node set to Convex Hull with no points defined
  • Middle-mouse scrolling in the Export Floater should no longer lock up the UI
  • Fixed a hang that could occur when switching files with the Material Editor open
  • Fixed a hang that could occur when the Mental Ray Renderer was used with SC2 Art Tools installed
  • Usability Improvements
    • Behavior Editor can now be scaled vertically
    • Inner Shape parameters are visualized for Cylinder Particle Emitters
    • Unbounded SC2Force nodes no longer disappear from view
    • Many unused parameters have been removed from the User Interface for various SC2 Node types.
  • Fixed Exporter Errors
  • Model Particles no longer display as missing model spheres
  • Fixed an export error where physics meshes could become corrupt
  • Fixed a bug where flip book animations would display incorrectly on splats
  • Added an export error for circularly-referenced, and therefore invalid, SC2 Particle Systems.
  • Reply Quote
    Great! I've been expecting this for a long time.

Thanks Blizzard.
    Reply Quote
    downloaded it and the tool did not work proberly installing please help!!\
    Reply Quote
    I haven't tried it in 3ds Max 2011 but tried installing it on 2013. Followed the manual installation instructions and got overspammed by error messages, so my experimet was quite the fail :p

Ah well guess I somehow have to dig up the 2011 version... It would be very appreciated if the material was directly usable on a newer version of Max though.
    Reply Quote
    Since 3DS Max 2011 is no longer supported by Autodesk are you Actively asking people to go to the dark places on the internet to acquire a copy of said product.

According to Autodesk, if you install your license server for 3ds 2012 and higher, it will disable your license servers completely for 2011 and older.

If your going to offer up something like this you need to support the latest version. At the moment you are implying that if anyone wants to create content they need to go out and pirate an older version of the software.

This is a bad thing for you to be promoting. Get with it, devote the resources to update to the latest version, or Open source the code so that the community can do it for you.
    Reply Quote
    Since 3DS Max 2011 is no longer supported by Autodesk are you Actively asking people to go to the dark places on the internet to acquire a copy of said product.

According to Autodesk, if you install your license server for 3ds 2012 and higher, it will disable your license servers completely for 2011 and older.

If your going to offer up something like this you need to support the latest version. At the moment you are implying that if anyone wants to create content they need to go out and pirate an older version of the software.

This is a bad thing for you to be promoting. Get with it, devote the resources to update to the latest version, or Open source the code so that the community can do it for you.

Even if it supports the 2014 version ppl will still pirate it, that thing costs 3.900,00 € while pirating it will cost 0.

i think Blizzard should release a standalone version of the SC2Art tool.
    Reply Quote
    if you have some of the core import and export tools in Python, then you would be able to use those in roughly any package such as Blender which is free.
    Reply Quote
    Thank you Blizzard! I have been using the closed beta version a lot. My arcade game has 52 original models right now.

Settle down with the complaining people. You can still get 3ds max 2011 from the Autodesk website. The tools work great. Almost no game companies release art tools for their games. Enjoy all the extra work Blizzard has done to give us such great modding support.
    Reply Quote
    I don't know why people are so annoyed. You know they just released the tools they used. They aren't going to simply waste a lot of resources and remake them into blender, maya or whatever you like (and no coding them to python is not a solution because they want to keep their patents protected and they would need to map the tools for each modelling software). It's far enough work just documenting them for us. Also, for people crying about the tools being only compatible with 3dsmax 2011, you guys don't know how much work would be to readdapt them to newer SDK's of 3dsmax plus the burden of buying licenses for the team and the burden of keeping multiple compatible versions.
    Reply Quote
    Hey

I want to know if the plugin works with 3ds max 2013?
    Edited by Gob on 9/2/2013 11:43 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Infinte thanks Blizz, for your extensive documentation and careful guidance with installation et cetera, not to mention the awesome tools you've provided themselves! ツ
    Reply Quote
    Hi, can we use it with free tools like blend?
    Reply Quote
    Hi, I'm an user of Maya, can I simply make my objects on Maya 2013-2014 and import to 3DS MAX 2011 ? ( I have both programs )
    It would be really annoying to relearn an entire 3d software and a 2011 version more.

Also, it is a patch for what ? A new patch or the Legacy of the Void ?
    The deadline is for when ?
    Reply Quote
    Autodesk has a software that allows transfering from any of its products easily. Sadly the Art Tools are very integrated into max. So you can do modeling and animation on maya, but final effects and materials must be done in max.
    Reply Quote
    Yup I had same problem as anyone else with a newer version of 3ds Max. Running 2013 and it just spams it full of errors. I agree with what some other have said with either the tool should be updated or Blizzard should make standalone version, of course I think if they make a standalone version instead of just plugin, I am willing to bet it will cost as it will have to be just as powerful as 3ds Max.

Please just update the plugin Blizzard.
    Reply Quote
    Thank you for these tools! I guess I'll have to reinstall 3dsmax. I always assumed most work was done in Maya.
    Edited by HuggMachine on 9/5/2013 9:32 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Quick Question, What exactly happens if we don't install 3ds Max 2011 from Autodesk. it wont have some kind of harmful effect on our computer? wont crash starcraft? No problems that may wreck the memory or something? Just wanted to make sure k. I don't want starcraft wrecked.
    Reply Quote
    Where do we get 3ds Max 2011?
    Reply Quote
    09/07/2013 04:34 PMPosted by ChimmiChonga
    What exactly happens if we don't install 3ds Max 2011 from Autodesk

To my knowledge, pretty much nothing will happen, but I'm not sure.
    Reply Quote
    I have some feedback, bugs to report and a fatal 3dsmax killing error.

My specs:
    Windows XP
    3dsmax 2011 x86 Student License (SP1 not installed)
    Photoshop CS3 x86

Feedback # 1
    Sc2AttachPoints don't have Ref for feet, hands and other main references for fast selection.

Feedback # 2
    The tutorial suggests in Global Animations to set the name to GL_Stand, it should be glstand (it's confusing).

Bug #1

Maxscript Error at assigning a name to a TrackSet. It produces an exception for trying to assign some parameter. The name is indeed changing when reloading the Trackset editor.

Fatal Error #1

This error actualy damages 3dsmax.

Description:
    The fatal error occurs when you try to export a model with many meshes sharing a single unwrap modifier when each mesh has it's own Skin modifier. The Unwrap Modifier is on top in the modifier stack. The Sc2 Material used was an Sc2 Standard Opaque material with just a diffuse map set using a generated tga from render to texture backing with some photoshop edits saved as 32 bits tga.

End result:
    4 errors reported, previewer fails, 3dsmax crashes and asks for saving the scene. After reinitializing 3dsmax, the material editor get's screwed, you can no longer pick new materials as usual, but you must create them using maxscript. Couldn't solve that issue with resetting default configuration, unistalling
    Star Tools didn't fix it, reinstalling 3dsmax didn't as well. Went back to slate material editor, completely messed up as well, played with the configurations of the editor like a monkey and somehow fixed it 0_o.

Steps I did:
    I was updating a custom made Wc3 model to Sc2.

• First I imported it with my own importing script which just rebuilds editable meshes, animations as linear and skin modifiers. (Nothing Wc3 only, everything max like). I had used this script before with other conversions which went perfectly.
    • Afterwards I assigned basic materials with original textures to each mesh.
    • Then I selected every Mesh and added an Unwrap Modifier and set it to map channel 2.
    • Since each mesh used different textures, I sepprated all the unwraps aside and then reorganized them inside the clamp area.
    • Later, I used 3dsmax render to texture to bake the old textures into one texture using the second map channel as target and first channel as source.
    • Inmediatly after, I edited the baked texture in photoshop and saved it as TGA 32 bits, then I created an opaque Sc2 Standard material with just a diffuse map using the baked texture.
    • The next thing I did was assign the new material to ALL the meshes and resetted the unwrap modifier in top stack to use map channel 1, thus overwritting the original unwrap.
    • Finally, I moved each modifier down in the stack and collapsed it to the editable mesh and resetted sequence format from Wc3 Art tools format to Sc2 Art Tools format and went on and exported as I've done in previous conversions. That's when the error popped up.

EDIT Problem found:
    It appears Star Tools crash at preview if you have unknown material types (NeoDex Warcraft 3 materials) in the material editor even though the scene isn't using them. Star Tools should ignore unknown materials and avoid processing them.
    Edited by BlinkHawk on 9/13/2013 9:54 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]