StarCraft® II

Allow players to retake placement matches

This would combine with the current system. Let's say you think you're ready for a higher league. Instead of waiting until you get promoted to it, (As many complain about) you can take your placement matches again, somewhat like a test to see if you're ready. If you let's say are in bronze, and turns out you should be in gold, instead of waiting to be promoted to silver and then to gold, you can just retake the five placement matches and be placed in an appropriate league.

Suggestions for issues I haven't found would be helpful.

Good idea?
Reply Quote
The player would be worse off... 5 games isn't a big enough sample size to determine your skill level. If you feel you aren't in the right league it's probably because of the placement matches in the first place. Upon retaking it you still have a high chance of being misplaced again
Edited by Queso on 11/8/2010 1:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Indeed. It isn't even difficult to get promoted if you are within the skill level of the league you want.
Reply Quote
I think this could work, however there would have to be a restriction on how often you can retake your placement matches. Otherwise people can just retake them until they get lucky and get into a higher league.
Reply Quote
I say no.

Us low skill bronzers have enough trouble trying to gain skill and rank up without people deciding they have had enough actual competition and want to fail their matches to beat the snot out of us some more.
Reply Quote
If you were placed into bronze from bad luck, but you are gold level then you should rank up pretty fast.

Your idea is very exploitable. People of all different skill levels will be in the wrong league due to luck.
Reply Quote
I would say no as well for the exact same reasons as minus
It is fine the way it is and once the season ends you will get another chance at placement matches.
Reply Quote
This would combine with the current system. Let's say you think you're ready for a higher league. Instead of waiting until you get promoted to it, (As many complain about) you can take your placement matches again, somewhat like a test to see if you're ready. If you let's say are in bronze, and turns out you should be in gold, instead of waiting to be promoted to silver and then to gold, you can just retake the five placement matches and be placed in an appropriate league.

Suggestions for issues I haven't found would be helpful.

Good idea?

..................no
Reply Quote
11/08/2010 01:29 PMPosted by Dragon
Indeed. It isn't even difficult to get promoted if you are within the skill level of the league you want.

in lower leagues (a.k.a bronze league) this is not true because of smurfs and trolls
Reply Quote
I say no.

Us low skill bronzers have enough trouble trying to gain skill and rank up without people deciding they have had enough actual competition and want to fail their matches to beat the snot out of us some more.

not true at all, remember how he said "you think you're ready for a new league" does that contribute something different to the fact that you think you are ready for a higher league?
whoever said re-taking placement matches was not optional on this post?
Edited by cruceible on 11/17/2012 3:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]