After much experimentation, Procyon Industries has developed a new approach to the air-to-ground attack vessel. As a planetary craft, the Banshee was fitted with economical twin turbofans instead of high-powered engines. Likewise, air-to-air weaponry was eliminated in favor of powerful air-to-ground missiles. These features allowed the Banshee to remain cheap, relatively robust, and effective in tactical strikes. It was adopted by the Dominion as a light-infantry support craft that could be transported quickly. Recently Banshees have earned a nasty reputation due to their involvement in urban conflicts, where their indiscriminate attacks have killed countless non-combatants.
- Tactical strike craft that can attack ground targets and gain the ability to cloak.
- Excellent for hit-and-run attacks against the enemy’s mineral line, or key units or structures.
- Vulnerable to air units; research Cloaking Field as soon as possible or have an air escort at all times.
- Position your Banshees above impassable obstacles or cliffs to deny the enemy the chance to retaliate.
- Cloaking Field: Enables Banshees to use the cloak ability, rendering them invisible to enemy units.
- Place Missile Turrets in your mineral line and in key spots around your base to provide detection. Also, assign a hotkey to your Orbital Command and be prepared to use the Scanner Sweep ability.
- Vikings are the best way to pick off Banshees. However, as both units move at the same speed, you’ll notice that the enemy will be able to eventually get away (not without losses however), as your Vikings must stop to fire.
- Use the Thor’s long range, splash damage, and extra damage bonus to take out Banshees.
- Have Spore Crawlers in your mineral line and around your base to serve as both air defense and detection. Don’t forget to morph a few Overlords into Overseers as well.
- Mutalisks are a great option due to their fast flight speed. Be sure to have an Overseer or two with them, and beware enemy aircraft escorts.
- If you are confined to ground units, be sure to have researched Grooved Spines for your Hydralisks, and keep a group of them close to your mineral line at all times.
- Build Photon Cannons at your mineral line and around your base to serve as detectors. Get Observers as soon as possible.
- Build Stalkers and research Blink; it will be very useful to catch up to retreating Banshees.
- Use the High Templar Feedback ability to drain the energy of a single Banshee and deal damage to it (if the target has 130 or more energy, it will be destroyed instantly). If the Banshees are clumped up, unleash a few Psionic Storms.
- The Phoenix is faster than the Banshee and does bonus damage against them.
* Requires Heart of the Swarm expansion pack