* Requires Heart of the Swarm expansion pack
|Attributes:||Armored - Mechanical - Psionic|
- Flying, defensive special abilities unit (limit 1 per army).
- The Photon Overcharge ability is an excellent secondary defense. It can be used to attack both ground and air units.
- When attacking with a Mothership Core in play, always think about the best moment to Mass Recall your troops out of combat.
- The Time Warp ability, in combination with splash damage units such as Colossi or High Templars, can be extremely strong against smaller units like Marines or Hydralisks.
- Harrassing an enemy base with Medivacs (or faking an attack to force the Mothership Core to burn energy on a Photon Overcharge) is an effective long-term counter against Mothership Cores.
- Ghosts’ EMP ability is a hard counter to the Mothership Core, as the Core can’t do anything without energy.
- Because the Mothership Core allows protoss to play aggressively early on (thanks to the Recall ability), pay close attention to defending your bases rather than simply making Drones.
- Be careful when going on the offensive against a Mothership Core, because Photon Overcharge in combination with Force Fields can be a deadly combo against shorter-ranged zerg units.
- When confronting a Mothership Core, try to prepare for a mid or late-game assault – early attacks won’t be maximally effective against it.
- The Templar’s Feedback ability is the best counter to the Mothership Core.