Thok the Bloodthirsty 10man Tips

90 Pandaren Shaman
Hey all, we're struggling to 2 and even 3 heal this with a Monk, Druid, and Disc Priest.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-z6kcycy13v9tb16o/dashboard/?enc=wipes&boss=71529

Any suggestions for room layout, which prisoner to consume, etc.

Or just heal more?
Edited by Telluric on 9/18/2013 11:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Heya Telluric, just wanted to say I think shamans are amazing and I am envious of anyone who plays a Shaman, let alone a female panda shaman ;-;. But enough about my petty problems, I'm here to give you some insight on how we did 10N Thok, to maybe help you out a bit. :3

PHASE ONE
This fight is a bit intensive; I give you that; gave us some problems tonight even though we downed him last week; a couple tips that helped us;

First and foremost, the door order we chose was Green> Blue > Red.

We also lusted on the pull, and chained our healers cooldowns as efficiently as possible to keep him in that phase as long as possible. Tonight we got him to 69% before the first fixate phase.

While some people don't much like green, we opted to get a hard door out of the way first; rather than later. As for positioning during fixate phases:

1ST FIXATE PHASE & GREEN DOOR
For first fixate phase, we stacked up on a small area near the Green Prison, this helped with AoE heals, and keeping everyone alive through the poison debuff, whoever got the first Fixate would run past our group, down the hall way; if they got a second fixate, they would just continue down the hallway. For healers, make sure this person is dispelled/hotted before their trip down the hallway, because you wont see them for a good 20 seconds. Thok should never target the same person 3 times in succession, however, it often happens that he double fixates on the same person; so beware.

Whoever gets the second fixate, run him so he comes straight through the middle of the room, this person might get fixated a second time, so again , be ready.

We ping ponged him in this manner (Down the hallway, through the center, down the hallway, through the center), until he was at about 13~ stacks of Fixate, then we had our DK tank open the cage.

Have one tank pick up the add, disarm/tranq shot/soothe/etc the add when it enrages.

Thok will usually fixate one last person before consuming the prisoner, so be sure to not be in front of the cage anymore, and not get eaten by him.

WHen our tank picked him back up, all ranged/melee/healers stacked on Thoks foot-side that faced the center of the room.

^ We used that positioning for EVERY door.

SECOND FIXATE PHASE AND BLUE DOOR
After he transitions to Fixate Phase from Green door, everyone moves to the Blue Door (We marked it with a Blue Raid Marker, and stacked there. For blue empowerment stack on his side that faces the center of the room, and heal like normal, if someone gets frozen, break them out. Don't try to hold him in this phase via healer cooldowns, let him push naturally.

THIRD FIXATE PHASE AND RED DOOR
After he pushes, everyone head towards Red Prison.

Use the same ping pong strategy as before. Make sure the ranged don't follow down the long hallway if they arent topped off and hotted. Open the Red door at around 13/14 stacks of fixate. As before he might fixate another person for a bit before he consumes the NPC, so steer cleer of the door area while still being grouped for AoE heals.

For the red door, maintain same raid positioning, (Ranged on his side facing center,etc).
However during this phase, there will be fire spawning under your feet,
DO NOT SPREAD IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS, you want to push him out of this Red Phase as fast as possible.
IF PEOPLE SPREAD OUT, HE WILL NOT PUSH INTO THE FINAL FIXATE PHASE AND YOU WILL WIPE.
Stay calm, make sure the tank is moving him backwards, and the rDPS/mDPS/Heals stack is moving accurately to maintain a stack and stay out of fire. If done correctly he will push into the final Fixate Phase (where hopefully you will kill him)

FINAL FIXATE PHASE
By this point, the boss should be essentially zergable @ 15% or lower health.
This does not mean ignore mechanics. The fire from the previous Red Door phase will still be on the ground, so people need to watch for that.
-Kite fixate like normal
-Stack back up in a fire free area
-Burn the boss hard.

If this guide helped you at all, grats on your kill! :3
Also, I love PANDAS UNGFsfasvfasf
Edited by Wooferoo on 9/19/2013 12:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
ALSO
SINCE IM A FAN OF YOURS JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE A PANDA

just thought i'd let you know

But on a more serious note, if you have any questions about other nuances of this fight you can add me on Battletag:
Wooferoo#1931
Edited by Wooferoo on 9/19/2013 12:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Thanks for the helpful Guide Wooferoo, my GM and I will be discussing this soon!!

Appreciate your time!!

ALSO

But on a more serious note, if you have any questions about other nuances of this fight you can add me on Battletag:
Wooferoo#1931

Will you at least buy me a drink first? o_O

:P
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Do you have a paladin? If so this is incredibly easy. If not, its much harder. Hand of protection your healers (mainly the cast time ones like shaman and possibly druid so he can tranq) on initial phase and 3rd phase (in the same order that others posted. Green, blue, red). I get the BoP on initial phase. And then again on the blue phase.

We 2 heal this with me and a discipline priest. And we last incredibly long for the first phase and when the blue phase comes up (probably 15+ roars). We end green phase fairly fast (6-7 roars) since that is a painful phase to heal.

The cooldowns we have are 2x rallying cry, 2x banner, 1 smoke bomb, 1 disc bubble, 1 ele shaman healing tide, my healing tide, SLT, and ascendance.

We usually blow rallying cry / banner (one of them) pretty early on. Probably roar 3-4. We bubble with ele shaman healing tide at 5. I get the hand of protection here (we don't waste the other hand of protection on the disc priest since he has a ton of instant casts). I wait for a bit and then drop healing tide. Right before HoP ends I drop SLT + ascendance with a healing rain down. Smoke bomb fits in somewhere here with a rallying cry / banner.

The fixate phase was described above pretty well. In short, we keep our ranged on the boss full time. Our melee (3 of em) on the jailor.

We get green phase first. We try to get out of here fast. We devo aura somewhere here since its a painful phase. The DoT SHOULD be dispelled.

Finish fixate phase 2 incredibly fast or that dot will destroy the person whos being fixated (if they dont use cooldowns).

Activate blue and chain cooldowns again. And then finish boss as he turns to fixate 3.

We don't get fire so can't help you there if you are getting it.

Essentially, I would say adding a 3rd healer doesn't do much IF you have a hand of protection in the raid for 1 healer or so at least.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Thanks for the helpful Guide Wooferoo, my GM and I will be discussing this soon!!

Appreciate your time!!

ALSO

Wooferoo#1931

Will you at least buy me a drink first? o_O

Its no problem, we had alot of issues last night on him, and about the same amount of issues during the first night that we spent on him. Another fight, to my dismay that gave us issues was Siegecrafter Blackfuse, even though last week, we got him. If you get to Blackfuse, and have any issues; I'll try to help by explaining what issues we had, if similar to yours, and explain how we handled them.

In regards to buying you a drink;
I think that a nice glass of pomegranate juice on ice would be really great as I do enjoy a glass of pomegranate juice; and it is my desire to make sure everyone experiences the smooth, yet slightly sweet taste of pomegranate juice.
If you thought ol' Woof would take advantage by giving you a more potent beverage on the first date well... You just don't know Woof.

Prepare to be woo'ed

By the master.

Awww yeah.

Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Helps to use devo auras from pallies so you dont get interupted and use a major healing cooldown during them tranq or hymn etc
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Downed him, thank you all for the support.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Helps to use devo auras from pallies so you dont get interupted and use a major healing cooldown during them tranq or hymn etc

09/19/2013 09:33 AMPosted by Gardiff
Do you have a paladin?

Guys, if someone posts logs, at least look at it before asking random questions or suggesting random strats for players they don't have in the raid.

@OP

Glad to see you downed him, but honestly, that raid composition could be a hinderance. I'm not gonna say you need to change anything, but I would suggest a plate tank. From what I can tell, you've got a Guardian Druid and Brewmaster Monk. Both of these tanks are fine, but together they're splitting gear along with the rogue (agi leather must be tough to come by in that comp). I would really see if your druid or monk has a plate tank alt for a little more balance, most notably a paladin could add a lot of raid utility in addition to some more balance (right now, you're disenchanting any plate that drops).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

@OP

Glad to see you downed him, but honestly, that raid composition could be a hinderance. I'm not gonna say you need to change anything, but I would suggest a plate tank. From what I can tell, you've got a Guardian Druid and Brewmaster Monk. Both of these tanks are fine, but together they're splitting gear along with the rogue (agi leather must be tough to come by in that comp). I would really see if your druid or monk has a plate tank alt for a little more balance, most notably a paladin could add a lot of raid utility in addition to some more balance (right now, you're disenchanting any plate that drops).

Yea we have a blood DK who will be running next week. But, no paladins :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yea we have a blood DK who will be running next week. But, no paladins :(

That should help, a pally is by no means required (as your progress clearly shows) anti-magic zone can be very helpful and purgatory is a nice prevention of death mechanic.

Best of luck in your progression.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
This boss gave my group the most troubles going in week one as well. Our strat was near identical to what Wooferoo mentioned above, except we were not making the dps check. When you get to the last gate (fire / red gate) the boss should be near death. On our first couple pulls he was still at ~25% health and we would die off before we could kill him. So to get more dps on the boss we put all of our range on the boss during the fixtate phase and had melee/tanks kill the jailer add. If you have a good mix of melee / range dps and you are having trouble with getting the boss down before the third gate then try this. After making that small tweak in our strat we pretty much one shot him and I believe he was about ~10% going into the last gate on that attempt.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Tonight, we were triple fixated. Just for the record.
Reply Quote
Lols. Just tonight I got fixated 3 times by Thok.

Everyone in the group said it shouldn't happen... heh...

.....but it DID! and I ended up trapped at the end of the hall - SQUISH!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Being triple-fixated would require the rest of the raid to basically throw you to the wolves.

The fixate isn't random. Unless you make it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]