Frost Mage - Need DPS Help

90 Draenei Mage
Okay, I have looked up all about my class, stat priorty, glyphs, talents everything. I'm pushing an Ilvl of 506 and my dps sucks. I'm generally hitting around 60k-80k single target fight. I have the 15% Hit, 23% Haste, 20% crit with Arcane Brilliance (Low, but needed more Haste) and 29% Mastery. I have enchants, gems, and all of that as I'd think would be needed. I dont have my 2 professions done yet, I did gathering leveling up and changed at 90 but that wouldn't effect my dps that drastically, I'd assume. I need some help guys, I pride myself on doing good n I'm ashamed of my dps right now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The majority of the problem is that weapon. The base spell power on weapons jumps big time between greens and epics.
Edited by Yukina on 9/20/2013 8:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Yeah I've been trying to replace that, once I do I can also get Jade Spirit enchant. I just got a off hand in a raid I'm thinking about trying to work something out by using that. But, I should be pushing 100k+ dps right? Would that 1 Ilvl429 effect me THAT much?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I was about to buy the Timeless Isle staff for 20k coins just to get rid of this one. I was told not to waste the coins.

*Update - I went ahead and purchased that staff. So I have a Ilvl 476 weapon now, and my total Ilvl is up to 509.
Edited by Dämäged on 9/21/2013 4:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Nobody at all knows or has suggestions? Please help me out, I want to raid again and wont allow myself doing the dps im currently pushing.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Can you tell us your actual rotation? You can say "I know it" but we don't know if you do or not.

Are you maintaining 100% uptime on bombs and invocation?

Remember your ABC's (Always Be Casting)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I start by putting Living Bomb on the target, Frozen Orb, Use all my FoF Procs and Brain Freeze Procs (I pop Icy Veins and Mirror Image when procs are up) and I blast Frostbolt as a filter inbetween. I generally have Living Bomb up at all times, occasionally miss it. I have a question on Living bomb actually, since it explodes at the end should I not just keep it refreshed and on target at all times? Should I let it run out first for the explosion then refresh it?
I use Evocation before pull.
Edited by Dämäged on 9/21/2013 9:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
While it won't make a huge difference, start with a frostbolt as the tank is pulling then put up bomb.

If you have 2 FoF procs and a FFB, use a fingers, then FFB then fingers again. FFB can proc FoF so you want to make sure you have room for the proc.

Living bomb will explode as long as you refresh it below 2.5 seconds. So refresh it then to get the explosion as well as not letting it fall off.

Are you using alter time with your icy veins and procs? It will extend your IV time as well as give you a bunch of free procs.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Your rotation is fine, Xiun is absolutely right living bomb explodes when refreshed with 3 seconds remaining. let altertime run its full duration so you can keep the procs you had pumping up longer, like some (not all) classes we shine with gear. I suggest reading http://www.icy-veins.com/frost-mage-wow-pve-dps-guide on frost mages they may or may not have a trick or two that you are unaware of. good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Yes, I have a Alter Time + Icy Veins + Mirror Image macro up. So I cast all 3 at once if there up.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I wouldn't put MI in there, just use them pre-pull and whenever you get a chance. They trigger the GCD and that's a second of the 6 you have during AT to be putting out damage.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Yes, I have a Alter Time + Icy Veins + Mirror Image macro up. So I cast all 3 at once if there up.

You should Mirror Image pre pull in most cases, not post-pull. I wouldn't recommend using it with Icy Veins + Alter Time because it's using a GCD during Alter Time. In Alter Time the spells you mostly want to cast are your procs (Ice Lance via FoF and Frostfire Bolt via Brain Freeze) as these procs will be reset once Alter Time is over.

Your gear heavily handicaps your DPS. Trinkets & Weapon play a huge part in what kind of hurt you'll dish out.

I would however advise that you get an addon that lets you track your active procs (especially Int). The damage of Nether Tempest and Living Bomb is determined by a snapshot of your stats at the time you cast them. Therefore if you can track your Int procs, you'll see an improvement on your DPS. The idea is to clip your bomb when you have your most favorable procs go off.

You're also missing some enchants and such.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Okay, cast MI seperatly. Got it. Umm, enchants such as? I know I'm missing Jade Spirit. Was waiting on the appropriate weapon before spending 2k-2.5k gold on an enchant. Also, Do you have a suggested addon you'd recommend? I have a few trinks n other buffs I generally try to use then refresh Living Bomb because I have read that somewhere before. But, is the stats on my gear hendering my dps? Because from what I'm reading.. I'm seeing probably 10k+ that im missing? But, im at Ilvl510 - Shouldnt I be hitting almost 120k DPS?
Reply Quote
I personally use WeakAuras and love it. I have my invocation, 2 trinkets and legendary meta gem tracking and try to pop alter time when i have as many of those 4 and all procs as possible. Also, the gear on timeless isle sucks, no offense. They have less that optimal stats and much less gems. Try to snag some ToT or SoO gear, they'll suit you much better.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Appreciate it. I know it sucks.. thats why im trying to replace it, got legs n belt so far replaced. Im buying up the coins of good fortune to try and get better drops because it seems like I always get coins n thats it. I know I need to get better at keeping buffs/debuffs up, like instantly but yeah Ill check that addon out, I appreciate the help guys.. Seems like little stuff but im sure it adds up.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
For keeping up debuffs and tracking ability cooldowns I highly recommend NeedToKnow. Great mod.

Other than that I think the biggest problem you have is that your gear just isn't that good. Your weapon and trinkets are very low level and you have no set bonuses. I doubt it's possible to realistically sustain 100k dps in a raid fight in that gear.

But keep at it ... as your gear improves your dps will also improve.
Edited by Mistwynd on 9/23/2013 1:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Okay, cast MI seperatly. Got it. Umm, enchants such as? I know I'm missing Jade Spirit. Was waiting on the appropriate weapon before spending 2k-2.5k gold on an enchant. Also, Do you have a suggested addon you'd recommend? I have a few trinks n other buffs I generally try to use then refresh Living Bomb because I have read that somewhere before. But, is the stats on my gear hendering my dps? Because from what I'm reading.. I'm seeing probably 10k+ that im missing? But, im at Ilvl510 - Shouldnt I be hitting almost 120k DPS?

Yeah the first thing I saw was missing Jade Spirit. The other enchants aren't optimum either (probably because you're too far from the Hit cap).

However, you should level up Tailoring. The Tailoring leg enchant is super cheap, and the cloak embroidery via Tailoring is great. I personally wouldn't recommend Herbalism as a second profession. Engineering or BS should be better, DPS-wise.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Thanks guys for the help, I got a nice new staff n chest piece n put jade spirit on the new weapon.. Had my DPS test to join my guilds raid team earlier, I did 147k burst damage and a steady 105k DPS. So think everythings on the right track, still need a few tips I'm sure but just wanted to say thanks n everything.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
But yeah I started Tailoring the other day, got it up to around 350 so far. But umm, far from Hit Cap? It's 15% right? I've made sure Ive had that since like level 75. Lol That was my main stat priority. Lol
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
But yeah I started Tailoring the other day, got it up to around 350 so far. But umm, far from Hit Cap? It's 15% right? I've made sure Ive had that since like level 75. Lol That was my main stat priority. Lol

No I meant some of your enchants are for Hit (cloak/gloves) and I'm assuming these are to get to Hit cap because gear doesn't let you get there. So the enchants aren't optimum.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]