5.4 Affliction Warlock PVP ..borked!

90 Blood Elf Warlock
i wonder why people are complaining i went 11 - 0 the first arenas i did with a holy pally. as Affliction (i always do arenas as affliction).

I find i do not burst as fast but i can do damage and survive a bit more since the restored soul link (the change they made in MoP made no sense and made it worthless unless you intended to go for sacrifice talent which meant a +20% HP boost).

Out of the 11 games i won 2 after the 15 minute duration.

edit:
Reading more

guess people didn't know how to Dark Soul then Drain Soul max damage (i killed about 40% of the people in the 11 arena games). Btw Malefic grasp more or less can be a drain life / damage booster.

Corruption ticks = HP
MG = more DoT ticks
hence more HP
CoA = more damage w/ more ticks
MG = more DoT ticks
hence more damage with CoA

I still use KJC since being able to move while casting MG still has an advantage since you can make CoA ticks to 10 and Swap to another person.
Edited by Spamtana on 9/23/2013 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
You're big on the "then you must be playing it wrong..." comments, but...no, dude. I play differently than you, with pretty much the same results you get. If you don't realize how huge a boost KJC was to our effectiveness in BG's...I'm thinking you got carried to most of your achieves.

Most carries don't win 150 matches with their teams, I'd imagine that makes for some pretty awkward vent conversation over the 38 hours it takes (assuming you're winning every match).

The truth is, the soulswap changes were an enormous buff to Affliction PvP. Mind-blowingly enormous. Our damage output was massively buffed, as well as our ability to protect other peoples' dots.

To claim we're not better off is silly.

Been playing this toon as Aff since Vanilla, I have over a year in actual time played on her...

And just picking on this part, so have I. It doesn't make anything you said more or less valid.
Edited by Annorroth on 9/23/2013 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Been playing this toon as Aff since Vanilla, I have over a year in actual time played on her...

There are many better locks than I, but I still know and remember the overall effectiveness of our various incarnations over the years. Like I said, our damage right now is fine...it's just far more awkward to deliver, it lacks a real flow.

If you want to quote me, get the whole thing, don't pick one part and use it to imply a meaning I didn't intend.

The truth is, the soulswap changes were an enormous buff to Affliction PvP. Mind-blowingly enormous. Our damage output was massively buffed, as well as our ability to protect other peoples' dots.

Enormous? Not really. Enormous would be inhaling once, and delivering those dots as exhales without having to recapture them before cycling again. This, is just the same as we had, with a damage boost to offset damage taken from other places.

But, the again, I've yet to say our damage is down. I've actually said I don't have a problem with the actual damage delivered, I have issues with the loss of utility we took, which makes the spec far less fun to play for me.

So, no, for me, losing all that mobility, plus the usefulness of SBseed, plus the handiness of Harvest Life, plus the gate nerf...no, it isn't better overall.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Nah seriously guys almost full Tyr now, vs almost any other class, doing tests for the last 2 days the main problem is our damage is not taking them down nearly as fast. The healing that we have doesn't even remotely compare to the damage output of other classes. There maybe some people who are quite gifted at playing afflication but for the majority this spec is very problematic now.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock

Enormous? Not really. Enormous would be inhaling once, and delivering those dots as exhales without having to recapture them before cycling again. This, is just the same as we had, with a damage boost to offset damage taken from other places.

But, the again, I've yet to say our damage is down. I've actually said I don't have a problem with the actual damage delivered, I have issues with the loss of utility we took, which makes the spec far less fun to play for me.

So, no, for me, losing all that mobility, plus the usefulness of SBseed, plus the handiness of Harvest Life, plus the gate nerf...no, it isn't better overall.

Enormous, absolutely enormous. If you're not seeing a massive damage increase, as others have noted, you're probably playing it wrong. Both in >4 as well as mass situations. Put me somewhere like Blacksmith or Waterworks and it's just insane.

And you keep saying "utility," but I don't think you know what that word means. Overall, I'm also have a pretty substantial utility increase. Here's what happened with our utility

Utility Nerf:
Gateway

No changes:
Healthstones still heal
Still have that 70% snare
Fear/banish still work
T30 talents that people used (Shadowfury and Mortal Coil) still work great
No change to Mez either

Utility Buffs:
Baseline Howl of Terror
Blanket DoT Protection is ridiculously better. Not only is it damage, we're now able to roll out DoT protection on a crazy scale. Watch as Starsurge and Lava Bursts go off on a crazy scale. Shadow Priests benefit too.

We did lose some utility, but we've gained more than we lost. You also listed some stuff that has absolutely no bearing on PvP, like Seed of Corruption and the old Harvest Life.

If you're not seeing great results, the problem isn't the spec.

Nah seriously guys almost full Tyr now, vs almost any other class, doing tests for the last 2 days the main problem is our damage is not taking them down nearly as fast. The healing that we have doesn't even remotely compare to the damage output of other classes. There maybe some people who are quite gifted at playing afflication but for the majority this spec is very problematic now.

What kind of tests? Since 5.1, we've never been responsible for killing people. That's not our job, stop trying to do it.
Edited by Annorroth on 9/23/2013 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i see alot of talking from just stright up unskilled players. players with no real arena experience. like Vual, reading what you are typing is just annoying as hell, i dont know where you are coming from, you are just talking out your butt.

no point even having a discussion with you about this stuff, you are one of those players who have a mental block and no matter how long you have played will never get better because you cannot take personal responsibility in your play and improve. its not the class, its you.

good luck, though after all these years playing i doubt it will help you.
Reply Quote
i see alot of talking from just stright up unskilled players. players with no real arena experience. like Vual, reading what you are typing is just annoying as hell, i dont know where you are coming from, you are just talking out your butt.

no point even having a discussion with you about this stuff, you are one of those players who have a mental block and no matter how long you have played will never get better because you cannot take personal responsibility in your play and improve. its not the class, its you.

good luck, though after all these years playing i doubt it will help you.

QFT....Mordbereth take notes as well.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Been playing this toon as Aff since Vanilla, I have over a year in actual time played on her...There are many better locks than I, but I still know and remember the overall effectiveness of our various incarnations over the years. Like I said, our damage right now is fine...it's just far more awkward to deliver, it lacks a real flow.

I use to be more PvE back then. I agree that it is hard to hurt many classes.
The damage just isn't that good anymore, I have trouble keeping my dots up when playing 2's or 3's. I do alright in BGs with soul swap. Other than that, it is significantly harder to play now.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Latree
90 Human Warlock
Knights Armament

good luck, though after all these years playing i doubt it will help you

Lol.

and

We did lose some utility, but we've gained more than we lost. You also listed some stuff that has absolutely no bearing on PvP, like Seed of Corruption and the old Harvest Life.

And that's why I don't care what people like Skillswap and Latree say...because statements like that prove how little original thought you guys have for playing...you just follow what the guides tell you. That's fine. For you.

Like I said, I want to enjoy actually playing. Seed and Harvest Life were perfect for BG's. SBseeds gave health and nightfall procs, harvest life allowed you to orbit a flag forever resetting caps. Seed and harvest life together turned army and stampede into a buffet.

Not getting interupted by most knock backs when casting wasn't useful?
Reply Quote
you're a brick wall, really sheesh.

adapt, stop holding on to the past.

we are very strong right now is all I'm saying, not trying to insult you.

have we been stronger? probably.

better off than last patch? as far as affliction pvp goes the answer is yes 1000 times.
Edited by Skillswap on 9/23/2013 8:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Dude, just stop exaggerating, and trying to convince me raw damage is all that should matter to me when I play. It's not a difficult concept.

I keep saying "yup, damage is fine, too bad it's boring to deliver", and you don't say anything about that aspect.

What exactly does my rating have to do with my ability to tell if I actually enjoy the style of play I'm stuck with? If I wanted rating over fun, I'd have stopped running 2's with a MM hunter years ago and teamed up with an appropriate class.

If you don't want to insult me, don't. Just accept that, for me, having 2 miseries isn't nearly as fun as being able to run circles around melee flag carriers while I keep up with them all the way from our FR to theirs. I mean, I've been using basically a double darksoul all along...misery AND my herbalism haste CD.

Still, I could be cheered up about all this if I could get a trinket that doesn't proc crit. Also, one thing that's been bothering me - were you actually running aff in rbg's last season? Because from what I saw, all people wanted for those was destro.
Reply Quote
Dude, just stop exaggerating

qft, take your own advice

warlocks are fine without kjc

were you actually running aff in rbg's last season? Because from what I saw, all people wanted for those was destro.

I ran Destro AND Affliction, mostly Destro though.
Edited by Skillswap on 9/24/2013 7:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
09/24/2013 06:59 AMPosted by Skillswap
Dude, just stop exaggerating

qft, take your own advice

warlocks are fine without kjc

were you actually running aff in rbg's last season? Because from what I saw, all people wanted for those was destro.

I ran Destro AND Affliction, mostly Destro though.

At what point have I exaggerated? I said aff is less fun, and I miss the advantages of being mobile. You are the one who thinks saying "thousand times better" means anything.

But...you mostly ran destro, so, you don't really get to say much about comparing aff with vs without kjc, do you?

Maybe you have fun being FOTM, swapping around to whatever the top players say is best to get the ratings every patch....I have fun by seeing what kinds of things I can accomplish without ever reading a guide, by exploring options.

You do understand that "fun" doesn't mean "more dps" to everybody, right?
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
Affliction sucks !@# now because we cant refresh dots like on the move last patch. Why would they nerf all three of our mobility abilities. Gateway, KJC, and how fel flame no longer increases dots. The fact that our dots bot buffed slightly does almost nothing because they still hit for a fraction as hard as DK dots. Now with the ninja nerfs to haunt im afraid affliction will be completely $%^-, and we will continue to get trained down by warriors.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
If you guys want to roll a DoT class/spec, I suggest:

Unholy DK
Assassination Rogue
Survival Hunter
Feral Druid
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]