Highwind Albatross Troubles?

100 Worgen Mage
Is anybody else having difficulties with these?

Last night, they drove a friend of mine to rage quit after several unsuccessful attempts to get them to stop (she's a resto/feral druid). Her complaint was that there was no way to pull them without being shapeshifted back into human form, which as feral, made all of her attacks (besides Moonfire, Wrath, and Faerie Fire) unavailable, including the ability to shapeshift. Even with Moonfire, Wrath, and Faerie Fire, she couldn't do enough damage to kill the thing without OOMing and pausing to recover, which would make the bird move. And on her disc priest she also had difficulty, because the thing would start moving while she was casting her spells.

I imagine that non-DPS classes would have a hard time with these, as well as classes that rely heavily on their pets (warlocks, BM hunters, etc.). Especially difficult is when the bird picks your pet up instead of you (as I noticed when my water elemental was carried in my stead).

So...has anyone else had trouble with these? They seem kind of bugged to me.
Edited by Clayworth on 9/23/2013 3:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
My mage didn't have enough oomph to have it stay still long enough over the lake (assuming that's where she wanted to go).

So I got to a spot where no one else can attack it, and get it down to about 100K. Stop attacking, then as soon as it gets over the lake, go to town and take that last bit of health down. Works well enough that way.

Edit: yes it still moves when she attacks it, but if you start early enough, the above strat works.
Edited by Kajada on 9/23/2013 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Yep one of my guild mates has same problem with his feral druid....can't put out the dmg to get Albatross to release him up at ruby lake....its same miss druids have put up for years
Edited by Moused on 9/23/2013 3:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
There's a number of issues with those infernal birds.

Chief one I've seen is that others can kill the one you're riding. At least on my server, there's been several groups stationed at strategic places to make the most of it, meaning you waste quite a bit of time due to the that stupidly slow flight.

Its at least a bit better as, as I recall, the birds originally dropped a person upon any damage taken, which is a bit worse.

Blizzard needs to fix them a bit more. Perhaps make it immune to any damage outside of the person its holding, for one (and allow for people to shapeshift. Maybe just have it be a button prompt, like "you stab at the bird's eyes, causing it to drop you"). Maybe a bit faster too, because god, that is such a long, slow flight.
Edited by Cirno on 9/23/2013 3:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
I have done the whole flight on my druid, the albatross will only stop with direct damage. Moonfire DOT will not stop the bird, and spamming it will put you OOM really fast. All I did was apply Moonfire DOT and spammed wrath. Wrath will make him stop just be sure to keep spamming wrath. Until they fix the shapeshift we are stuck doing it this way. (atleast me lol)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I can't shapeshift on them D:
HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KILL IT IF I CANT USE ANY GOOD ATTACKS
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
If you are having major problems, and have spec'd into Heart of the wild it will increase spell damage and hit rating, along with reducing cost of mana on all damaging spell by 100% to give you a little extra kick
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
There's a number of issues with those infernal birds.

Chief one I've seen is that others can kill the one you're riding. At least on my server, there's been several groups stationed at strategic places to make the most of it, meaning you waste quite a bit of time due to the that stupidly slow flight.

Its at least a bit better as, as I recall, the birds originally dropped a person upon any damage taken, which is a bit worse.

Blizzard needs to fix them a bit more. Perhaps make it immune to any damage outside of the person its holding, for one (and allow for people to shapeshift. Maybe just have it be a button prompt, like "you stab at the bird's eyes, causing it to drop you"). Maybe a bit faster too, because god, that is such a long, slow flight.

An eject button would be good - don't even need to add a slow-fall to it. The birds should definitely be phased so that only the rider can even see them, and they should also have the wait time before they start moving again lengthened (I think 10s won't do any harm). Other than that, maybe half their HP? If I understand, their HP is only as high as it is so they won't be killed too easily, or killed easily by trolls. But if they're phased (or even just moving faster), this becomes a non-issue.

I'm not sure if these were in the beta or not, but it probably would have been good to include them as a feature you wanted tested, since it's a new technology.
Reply Quote
91 Human Mage
On my server there are a couple of horde that will sometimes take pot shots are you are flying away..

If you don't have this or people trying to kill them during the flight, hit them with a couple of DoT's on the way up.. Get their health down to below half. On my priest I can nail them with SW:P and they'll continue flying. Once I get to where I want to drop off at, then give them the full barrage.

hth
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
I did it on this character and while it was a slow process it was do-able. Would have had less trouble if i'd actually thought to auto attack while my mana was regenning.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
There was another thread about this so I went on my feral druid to try it. So the normal buttons/spells for shapeshifting doesn't work once you get picked up and form gets dropped.

But I got to kittyform by hitting the temporary enhanced cat power button (forget the name, thought it's called King of the Jungle). The bear one works too, Might of Ursoc. When the proc wears off, you're still a bear or a cat.

Albatross was dead chicken meat over the lake.

ps. panic pushing buttons worked for me!
Edited by Vixie on 9/23/2013 3:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Two simple options:

1. Activate prowl. This puts you in cat form. Remove prowl and you stay in cat form. Do cat attacks.

2. Use moonfire and wrath until seagull is nearly kaput. When over destination, hit it again.

3. Use Ursoc's something to shift into bear form.

4. ???

5. Profit!
Edited by Mukluk on 9/23/2013 4:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
There was another thread about this so I went on my feral druid to try it. So the normal buttons/spells for shapeshifting doesn't work once you get picked up and form gets dropped. But I got to kittyform by hitting the temporary enhanced cat power button (forget the name, thought it's called King of the Jungle). The bear one works too, Might of Ursoc. When the proc wears off, you're still a bear or a cat.

Albatross was dead chicken meat over the lake.

Here's to hoping the inability to shapeshift wasn't intentional, and that they don't hot fix this work-around out.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Druid here. And yes, the inability to shapeshift into our fighting forms on the birds is an inexcusable error on Blizzard's part. However, Druids have been suffering under the "You can't do that!" syndrome for years, so this is nothing new. ;

Have your friend spec into Heart of the Wild, pop it, and Wrath spam the bird to death. Should work just fine.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Read my post, Tewa. Gosh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]