[PVP] Frost Mages are GARBAGE

90 Troll Mage
r1 3's is jahmill guys.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
r1 3's is jahmill guys.

I was just about to say this. And Jah is still frost, just like all the other mages in the top 100. There are 3 frost mages in the top 10 at the moment. No other spec has 2. Shut up already.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I love how loudly Frost Mages cry when they get nerfs, but when Fire Mages complain, they just say, "play Frost."
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
It's too difficult to balance all specs in pvp. Fire can be played to a high level, but frost is still better. If someone wants to pvp as fire, they can, but will do better as frost. It's not really a big deal.
Edited by Lums on 9/24/2013 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Mage
I love how loudly Frost Mages cry when they get nerfs, but when Fire Mages complain, they just say, "play Frost."

We arent a hybrid class. If we were you'd have a justifiable objection on complaining about more then one viable PvP spec.
Reply Quote
r1 3's is jahmill guys.

If multi R1 players can play at or around R1, it means the spec is balanced across the board, right?

Sure, Mages still have the same amazing utility they always did (which is generally what sets those great Mages apart from the rest of us, their superb utilization of the class's utility toolbox), but the fact of the matter is that we're getting 25k-30k crits with Frostbolt/Ice Lance. Where before we didn't need to rely of getting a full set of procs to use Alter Time with to kill something, now it's almost necessary to put out any decent pressure. Do note that consists of 6 GCDs of damaging spells (7 if you count Frozen Orb) to get our burst out. Other classes can do roughly the same damage in 3 or 4 GCDs.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
See my post above, fire is dead too.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Mage
09/24/2013 03:26 PMPosted by Sandrace
r1 3's is jahmill guys.

If multi R1 players can play at or around R1, it means the spec is balanced across the board, right?

Sure, Mages still have the same amazing utility they always did (which is generally what sets those great Mages apart from the rest of us, their superb utilization of the class's utility toolbox), but the fact of the matter is that we're getting 25k-30k crits with Frostbolt/Ice Lance. Where before we didn't need to rely of getting a full set of procs to use Alter Time with to kill something, now it's almost necessary to put out any decent pressure. Do note that consists of 6 GCDs of damaging spells (7 if you count Frozen Orb) to get our burst out. Other classes can do roughly the same damage in 3 or 4 GCDs.

I was getting 50K FoF Ice Lances, BF FFB's and Frostbolts before in Rated Battlegrounds. And ive seen similar numbers in 2's with my capping partner who's a Rogue.

Its impossible trying to proclaim your class is weak when the R1 person in 3's is running the same class and spec.
Reply Quote
Did some Arena with my partner, Frost wasn't heavily gimped or anything, just the burst is spread out. WHICH isn't ideal for 2v2 I believe, but still, we won some and lost some.
Reply Quote
September 23
Ice Lance's damage has been increased by 20%.
Waterbolt's damage has been increased by 10%.
Edited by Icepot on 9/25/2013 3:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
mages that are newer (not claiming fotm) will struggle more, mages that are used to playing the class when we cast more can adapt quickly, practice and get gear asap
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

I was getting 50K FoF Ice Lances, BF FFB's and Frostbolts before in Rated Battlegrounds. And ive seen similar numbers in 2's with my capping partner who's a Rogue.

Its impossible trying to proclaim your class is weak when the R1 person in 3's is running the same class and spec.

Yeah, I've seen 60k-65k ice lances plenty of times, not sure where this 20k/30k ice lance bull!@#$ is coming from.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
It was a large nerf to our overall pvp damage since you *should* have been using shatter/mastery for a lot more than just ice lance.. otherwise you might not notice so much of a loss. If you were optimizing your use of frostburn then it equaled about 30% of your overall damage whereas the new icicles are only about 8-10% in a PVP scenario.
Edited by Abracadaver on 9/30/2013 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
mages that are newer (not claiming fotm) will struggle more, mages that are used to playing the class when we cast more can adapt quickly, practice and get gear asap

I use to be able to break 100k and sit close to 90k in scenaro's now I lucky to hit 70k. I don't know the class very well, only that frostbolt doesn't stack to 3 and so I just use firefrost bolt and frost bomb only now.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Mage

Yeah, I've seen 60k-65k ice lances plenty of times, not sure where this 20k/30k ice lance bull!@#$ is coming from.

FoF Ice Lance with no Jade Spirit, Incanters Ward, PvP trinket damage buff and or tailors cloak enchant proc will hit in the 20K range.
Reply Quote

There is less incentive to cast anything outside of cc now than there ever has been. Not only less incentive, less ability to do so with the amount of warriors there are and their ability to lock you out of casting. With the ice lance buff, mage damage is fine but I honestly find myself casting about the same as I was last patch with the exception being during a deep where I'm just spamming lance into it if not being used for cc.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
I wish fire PvP would get some love.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
There is less incentive to cast anything outside of cc now than there ever has been. Not only less incentive, less ability to do so with the amount of warriors there are and their ability to lock you out of casting. With the ice lance buff, mage damage is fine but I honestly find myself casting about the same as I was last patch with the exception being during a deep where I'm just spamming lance into it if not being used for cc.

We're a pure DPS class that was cut down into a CC toolbox with mediocre damage output in PvP. The only reason people still see a high MMR Mage in 3's is because of our CC and the chains you can setup on people in say Mage/Priest/Rogue without overlapping on DR. We can effectively make the game 3v2 for say 20 seconds, which will always be a good strategy. Especially at the current time when the most powerful spells a mage can use are his CC.

Stack haste, spam Living Bomb and use the Brain Freeze procs as they randomly float in. Once(if) you have 5 Icicles you can pop CD's, Frozen Orb, Deep Freeze, Alter Time and throw out some damage. Most good players see it coming miles out and it does nothing. Some players you put the whole combo out and barely take them <25%. The pay off for setting all that up isn't there. A lot of work, a little reward.
Reply Quote
I was angry about mages at first when 5.4 came out....well I have changed my mind. Frost mages are still awesome. I went 10-0 last week after tons of practice, and figured out exactly what I need to be doing.
Reply Quote
Is it possible to have a high crit with ice lance in 300k?PVP that is
Edited by Blinkraven on 10/1/2013 8:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]