It seems like Paladins have come full circle

85 Blood Elf Paladin
  • In WotLK Paladins were excellent tank healers, and were able to simultaneously supply a moderate amount of blanket raid healing (JoL, HL Glyph).

• In early Beta Paladins received some very powerful raid heals, and in some ways were better raid healers than tank healers.

• Currently, after receiving nerfs to the new raid heals and buffs to the single target heals, Paladins are again very strong tanks healers, and able to supply a moderate amount of blanket raid healing.

• The early stated goals for Paladins was that they would be less reliant on tank healing, and would have the option to raid heal. Currently, I couldn't imagine any serious raiding guild assigning a Paladin to raid healing. Holy Radiance and Light of Dawn are a lot more fun than JoL and HL glyph, but the result seems more or less the same.

Light of Dawn in particular is a very fun spell, and I would like to see it become a more important part of a Paladin's toolbox. The most recent batch Beta logs are consistent with what I'm experiencing with LoD on live. It's difficult to get a significant number of players in it's healing path (partly due to glitchy mechanics) and when you do get it right, the healing amount isn't very impressive.
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin
    Are you up to date with the latest changes to Light of Dawn? On the beta now it is a smart heal that hits 5 people for a fair amount of healing.

It isn't really any easier to aim, and that part can still be frustrating, but at least there is a reason to try and hit people with it now.

I'm not exactly sure what makes so many think LoD is a "fun" spell. Also, I wouldn't count on them fixing the glitchy graphic anytime soon-- cone effects like cone of cold and shockwave suffer from a lot of the same problems and have been around much longer.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Paladin
    I think, for my part, I haven't really gotten to practice a lot with LoD- a spell you can cast only every 30 seconds isn't a spell you really get a ton of practice with, imo.

I like the changes. Nervous about many things, but overall, I'm excited. :)

I also wouldn't count on them fixing the glitchy graphic, but I sort of do hope someone is able to make some sort of addon that will make a cone in front of you, showing whereabouts you are currently aimed, and thus, where LoD should land if you launch it at any given point. It would be doulbe-triple points if blizzard added something of that nature. :)
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin
    Are you up to date with the latest changes to Light of Dawn? On the beta now it is a smart heal that hits 5 people for a fair amount of healing.

It isn't really any easier to aim, and that part can still be frustrating, but at least there is a reason to try and hit people with it now.

I'm not exactly sure what makes so many think LoD is a "fun" spell. Also, I wouldn't count on them fixing the glitchy graphic anytime soon-- cone effects like cone of cold and shockwave suffer from a lot of the same problems and have been around much longer.

It's fun for me because it has most of the things that I like in a spell. It's instant, it's a multi target Heal, and it's got a pretty cool graphic. It's a lot like CoH, which has been a favorite of Holy Priests. The main difference between LoD and CoH is the ease of use, and that generally allows CoH to do a lot more healing.

I think it's ok if CoH does more healing than LoD, but currently LoD is doing so little healing (even after the changes) that it almost doesn't seem worth casting. Word of Glory looks worse on paper, but in use it's much more effective due to it's reliability.
    Edited by Highbeams on 11/10/2010 3:32 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin

Yes I have read about the changes and the posts. I hate it going straight up when casting sometimes even on totally flat ground. It goes straght up off my left hand and hits no one.
    It happend today in Ulduar on XT, missed everyone point blank and shoots straight up.

I would never be so bold as to suggest this didn't happen, so please don't construe this question as though I am. But I'm curious as to what your latency might have been at the time if you happened to notice. The reason I ask is because if you were lagging when you cast it, people might have appeared to be in the icecream cone in front of it when they actually were not.

Again, not trying to say it didn't happen. But I've been healing everything from ICC HM's to a 4 man Naxx, and I have yet to see this. Simply trying to arrive at some logical conclusion that could make it happen.
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin
    Hmr is politely telling you that the LoD graphic has nothing to do with where it actually heals; it's always in a cone in front of you, regardless of whether the graphic shows that or not.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    We can do more on the lines of raid healing now that we have a lot more "burst" potential through our instant cast spells. And Flash of Light is hella strong now, which means we can pass strong heals fairly quickly when we have a lot of haste.

So...dedicated raid healing...keeping the raid at maxed HP, not really happening from Paladins. However, we can certainly help a raid recover from massive raidwide attacks like Decimate.
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin

It shows that what you see and what you get are not the same. Depends on angle.

Actually, it shows what happens when you try to use it in an area where it will never under any circumstance be required. Not quite sure why you felt the need to post it in multiple threads.
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin
    The first point I want to make is that, by-and-large, anecdotal evidence is the least reliable and least useful form of evidence. So I freely admit that what I am about to post is a difficult claim to support, but I believe that it needs to be discussed.

Light of Dawn is reliant on too many factors to be useful, further, it requires a degree of skill and training to be useful that other spells do not. These two factors combined really set the spell apart from other positional heals. Below are the variables as I see them:

• Spread

• Given: LoD is best used on "clumps" of raid members.
      Given: Raids are often scattered - this scattering is an enforced mechanic on some fights.
      Therefore: LoD is not always practical, and therefore situational.
    • Latency

• Given: Latency varies from player to player.
      Given: Local machines appear to be authoritative regarding player positioning.
      Given: Unlike other positional heals, LoD has no duration.
      Therefore: LoD's effects are more sensitive to latency than other heals.
    • Skill

• Given: LoD's visual queue does not match that of its effect.
      Given: LoD requires a fairly precise orientation to maximize effect.
      Given: Key-turning players are at a distinct disadvantage when trying to use LoD.
      Given: Unlike other positional heals, LoD has no duration.
      Therefore: LoD has a greater barrier-to-entry than other heals.

These three variables are the most obvious of the pack, and when dealt with in isolation they are easily overcome. Communication within a raid can overcome the positioning of raid members, but the lack of a duration makes demands that other AoE heals do not. I am not sure anything can be done to overcome the latency concerns, but I think the conversion to Holy Power actually does help over come this by allowing it to be cast more frequently. A player can simply learn to mouse-look or acclimate themselves with the effect v. visual.

Citing a few anecdotal examples, I am not a key-turner, and I am a fairly capable FPS player, but I had some initial difficulty overcoming the visual aspect of the spell. As another example, or "case," let's examine Carbonic. This will probably be misinterpreted or misconstrued as an ad hominem attack on Carbonic, but it's not meant to be.

Personally, I do not like LoD. I find it useful once, maybe twice an encounter. The most prolific uses I've found on live are during Professor Putricide (very effective if timed well between a green ooze's impact and knock back effects), and on Lich King (great, quick counter to infest). Other than that, I have found no use of LoD. I realize I am not the best healer, and I realize that ICC content was not created with this spell in mind, but I don't think you can (or should) properly design content with any single spell in mind.

Carbonic is a self-admitted key-turner, and the following quote (taken from this thread) demonstrates a misunderstanding of how the visual is independent of the spell's effect.
    I hate it going straight up when casting sometimes even on totally flat ground. It goes straght up off my left hand and hits no one.
    It happend today in Ulduar on XT, missed everyone point blank and shoots straight up.

I hate unreliable randomly useful spells, and LoD is the only one I know of.

Long post is long.
    Edited by Khaìne on 11/12/2010 7:18 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin
    ...I probably should've posted that in the LoD thread, eh?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]