ShadowBurn: A Warlock's Grimoire (OutDated)

(Locked)

Please explain what the Macros do in detail. I find them Difficult to follow.
other than that, great guide.

The curse of exhaustion macro will cast curse of exhaustion on any enemy target close to you. Its called a rogue finder macro because if a rogue is nearby and you spam it the INSTANT the rogue is close enough you can see them you snare them.
I suck at pvp but i have creamed many a bad rogue/kitty with this macro.

The seduction macro will focus your target and seduce it upon cast. From here pressing the macro will re-seduce your Focus (your former target) if its still alive allowing you to target other mobs while keeping your CC assignment seduced. NEW targets will NOT be seduced so long as your focus is alive. Pressing it during seduction will break seduction and re-seduce your focus. Pressing alt will clear your focus and make your current target the new focus and seduce it.

The focus banish macro isnt nearly as complex. It will banish your current target if pressed and will banish your focus if you press it while having the alt button down.
Mouseover macros allow you to cast spells on mobs simply by hovering your mouse over them. No need to target at all.

All in one combines multiple pet macros into one. Succubus out? it seduces your target and holding down shift while pressing it will seduce your focus. Same thing with felhunter and spell lock. Imp will use singe magic. Pressed voidwalker will cast sacrifice. Using shift will make him use consume shadows (rogue finder).

If this is truely a guide for 80 AND 85 then you must take into account that Affliction WILL be using their Felhunters at 85 due to being able to spec into Dark Arts and the gain of Demon Soul at 85. This will make the Felhunter FAR outweigh the Succubus at level 85.

Your absolutely right that is why i said
PVE talent specs: Affliction has two viable talent specs. Shadowbolt focused and Drain life focused. At level 80 Shadowbolt focus uses a succubus and drain life uses an imp. At level 85 both specs will use a felhunter for demon soul. Drain life requires a high gear level to stack enough mastery to be viable and must pay more attention to the shadow's embrace debuff to keep it from falling off. Also note, optional talent are optional.

Sorry if i failed to emphasize this. In my next revision ill mention that more.
Edited by Vaydra on 11/13/2010 11:03 PM PST
Yeah that was my goal. In 3.3 Esson and i both got replies from fallenman on our guides saying he was gonna persuade blizzard to sticky one of our guides. In the end he chose Esson's because it was comprehensive and mine was affliction only.

So i decided to throw in everything including the kitchen sink this time.

Ill try and make it more readable this evening. One of the reasons i didnt set it up that way to begin with is i felt the PVE part would dwarf the PVP and there was a lot of overlap. Im still concerned that will happen.

One thing im thinking about changing for readability is giving haste thresholds its own section. Haste is important to both aspects of the game. I feel it will decrease the length a bit and give the guide a more flowing feeling.
85 Worgen Warlock
Nice guide.
Mind posting a screenshot of your PowerAuras set up?
85 Gnome Warlock
A couple questions ...

One handed weapons- Mighty spellpower for Affl/destro. Demo locks use black magic.

Interesting recommendation, as that is the reverse of of conventional wisdom pre 4.0.1 Though, and this is an honest question, what changed between Wrath and the Cata pre-load?

While now leveled with the shaman buff Demonic Pact is now a continual buff, and at least in my raids I see Demonic Pact icon up and not the shaman icon. While it is just a personal 10% buff, the traditional thought was for Demonologists to go with the Mighty Spellpower enchant because of the spell power boost. While the raid benefit has changed, the personal boost hasn't ... so what changed would now that makes Black Magic more desirable?

The second is more of a grumbling ... at myself, for, to quote the Illustrious Groo:

"Did I err?"

*grin*

For reforging you put haste before mastery; there was a lot of commentary - at least what I found to read - was to reach hit cap, gem for haste, and the reforge for mastery.

Could you explain a bit the reasoning the priority? I may have goofed and be a lil' sunk; I know my haste is low so I'm looking for ways to turn that around; though in about two months it'll be a bit moot since I'll be getting confused about a whole new set of armor!

Nice guide.
Mind posting a screenshot of your PowerAuras set up?

Done!

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/lostlink247365/Powa.png

A couple questions ...

One handed weapons- Mighty spellpower for Affl/destro. Demo locks use black magic.

Interesting recommendation, as that is the reverse of of conventional wisdom pre 4.0.1 Though, and this is an honest question, what changed between Wrath and the Cata pre-load?

While now leveled with the shaman buff Demonic Pact is now a continual buff, and at least in my raids I see Demonic Pact icon up and not the shaman icon. While it is just a personal 10% buff, the traditional thought was for Demonologists to go with the Mighty Spellpower enchant because of the spell power boost. While the raid benefit has changed, the personal boost hasn't ... so what changed would now that makes Black Magic more desirable?

The second is more of a grumbling ... at myself, for, to quote the Illustrious Groo:

"Did I err?"

*grin*

For reforging you put haste before mastery; there was a lot of commentary - at least what I found to read - was to reach hit cap, gem for haste, and the reforge for mastery.

Could you explain a bit the reasoning the priority? I may have goofed and be a lil' sunk; I know my haste is low so I'm looking for ways to turn that around; though in about two months it'll be a bit moot since I'll be getting confused about a whole new set of armor!

Prior to the patch sp and BM were pretty close in terms of dps on patchwerk type fights. However, sp beat it whenever you added in movement.

The reason im recommending BM for demo is that prior to 1406haste demo scales better with haste than any other stat now. Since BM and sp were close back when demo scaled better with sp im extrapolating that it will put BM over the top for demo at 80.

If im wrong however, i will change the guide.

When i was writing this guide haste was scaling very well for affliction, it was the BEST demo stat upto 1406 haste, and destro has Haste thresholds where it beats out even intell and sp as a stat. Though the simulation craft thread shows it lower, that is in BiS gear. At haste thresholds and upto 1406 haste it is an amazing stat.
85 Gnome Warlock
Thanks for the great - and swift - response! I'll try Black Magic out then and see, being an experimentally inclined Gnome. I do, however, suspect it won't be until Cata before I see BIS gear again, but that's the way the Great Gear spins :)

You work with whatcha got ... seen the Lich King die, got a pretty frost drake, all is good :)
Adding a section on edits from this point also clarifying Black magic vs 63 spellpower based on me getting corrected on the old forums =)

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27607286608&sid=1
100 Undead Warlock
For 4.0.1 destro, isn't it better to reforge for mastery, since current gear has no mastery, and gem for haste, depending on current haste levels?

Edit: Overall Great Guide
Edited by Kageshishi on 11/12/2010 4:44 PM PST
Only if your past a haste threshold.

For example Im at 30% haste (when im not wearing my rp set). Im at the point i should gem haste and reforge all excess haste into mastery. But if i was slightly below this point reforging as much haste as possible to reach it would be a dps increase.

These are the haste thresholds you need to try for if you know a shammy/moonkin/spriest will be there:

4.76%-156rating at 80
23.81%-781rating at 80
42.86%-1406rating at 80

If you want to be guarenteed to get your extra tick these are your targets thresholds (though the extra haste will drop in value if a moonkin/shammy/spriest is there):

10%-328rating at 80
30%-984rating at 80 (me)
50%-1640rating at 80 (hard capped)

I recommend stacking haste if your between these thresholds and reforging mastery otherwise.
85 Worgen Warlock
Excellent guide, but dont forget Engineers can add parachute cloak to their backs for extra spellpower in addition to haste enchant.
85 Orc Warlock
Nice job on this guide. It covers a lot of information for 4.0.1 and Cata.
Needs a sticky!
Level 80 info being recorded here for when its removed from the front page

Stats-[SBawG80Stats]
Chants-[SBawG80Chants]
Gems-[SBawG80Gems]
Affliction-[SBawG80Affl]
Destrustion-[SBawG80Destro]
Demonology-[SBawG80Demo]

[SBawG80Stats]
For PVE you need 17% hit to be capped. It should be noted that there are haste intervals which meeting will give your dot spells an additional tick. Haste thresholds are in the Haste Threshold section later on in this guide. At 80 Demo locks should stack haste if it puts them at 23.8%- 30% haste or at 42.9% haste or above. Otherwise stack crit then mastery over haste.

For PVP you need 4% hit to be capped and 6% hit to be capped for racials. You need 130 spell pen for PVP and should aim for 1300+resili, 830+haste as affl,and 984+haste for destro and demo in PVP.

[SBawG80Chants]Enchantments-

PVE@80

Head-Arcanum of burning mysteries- This enchant requires you to be revered with the kirin tor to purchase and is Bind on account.

Shoulders- Master's inscription of the storm if your a scribe otherwise Greater inscription of the storm which requires you to be exalted with the sons of hodir on one of your toons to purchase and is BoA

Chest-Powerful (+10) stats

Back-light weave embroidery if a tailor or else Greater speed

Bracers-Superior spellpower

Gloves-Precission if you still need hit after reforging, otherwise use exceptional spellpower. Engineers dont forget to use hyperspeed accelorators

Waist-Eternal belt buckle with either a brilliant cardinal ruby or a Quick kings amber (see gem section).

legs-Master's spellthread if a tailor or else a sapphire spellthread.

Boots-Tuskarr's Vitality AND NOT icewalker. Engineer's dont forget your rocekt boots!!!

Rings-Greater spellpower...enchanters only

Staffs-Greater spellpower

One handed weapons- Mighty spellpower for All specs. Demo locks can use black magic, but its a very small dps increase in niche situations which quickly vanish as you gain more haste making you need to rechant. I recommend 63spell power.

PVP@80

Head-Arcanum of Dominance (29spell power/20resilience) from wintergrasp vendors

Shoulders-Inscription of Dominance (25spell power/15 resilience) from wintergraps vendors

Chest-Exceptional Resilience

Cloak-Spell piercing or lightweave embroidery if you can stay above 130spell penetration overall. Engineers have Springy Arachnoweave.

Bracers-superior spellpower

gloves-Precission if you still need hit after reforging, otherwise use exceptional spellpower. Engineers dont forget to use Hand-Mounted Pyro Rocket

Leg's-Master's spellthread or sapphire spellthread if not a tailor

Boots-Tuskarr's vitality. Dont forget to also get rocket boots if your an engineer!!!

Rings-Greater spellpower if a chanter

Staves-Great spellpower

One handed weapons-Mighty spellpower or black magic.

[SBawG80Gems] GEMS-
This section covers all the gems you will use. For demo and destro you will want to get all socket bonuses. Hit till cap is our best stat, and haste to a haste threshold is superior to intellect. For these two specs get all socket bonuses and then reforge unneeded hit/haste into mastery. If your affliction make sure you get a 3spell power or better socket bonus for yellow gem slots. If you are over hit capped even after reforging all your excess hit away use brilliant cardinal rubies.

PVE@80

If your a JC replace brillant Cardinal rubies with as many brilliant dragonseye (or quick kings ambers with quick dragoneyes)as possible.

Red-ALWAYS gem these sockets with brilliant Cardinal rubies if your affliction. Demo warlocks who are at certain haste levles (see spec section) generally should use reckless ametrines otherwise brilliants. Destruction warlocks should only use reckless ametrines if it will push them over a haste threshold, otherwise use brillaint cardinal rubies.

Yellow-Affliction locks use reckless ametrines, demo locks use either quick king's amber or potent ametrines, and destro locks use Quicks if it will put you over a haste threshold otherwise use a reckless.

Blues-Affliction locks use as many vieled dreadstones as needed to reach hit cap. Demo use either energized eyes of zul or vieled dreadstones depending on haste level. Destro if your near a haste threshold gem like demo locks otherwise follow affliction. If you dont need hit even after reforging all excess hit away use brilliant cardinal rubies or quick kings amber as appropriate and remember you need at LEAST two blue gems for your meta.

Meta-Chaotic Skyflare diamond

PVP

Reds-Reckless ametrines

Yellows-quick kings amber

Blues-Shattered eye of zul

Meta-arcanum of burning mysteries OR forlorn skyflare diamond OR Trenchant Earthshatter diamond

Edited by Vaydra on 11/16/2010 9:29 AM PST
[SBawG80Affl] Affliction
Affliction warlocks have a variety of optional talents for PVE to choose from:

Jinx:Casting Curse of elements on one target puts it on all targets withing 20/40 yrds of the afflicted mob

Siphon life:Corruption has a 25/50% chance to restore 2% of your health. An affliction staple talent.

Curse of exhaustion:long range 50% snare with no cooldown. This is overwritten by jinx

improved fear:30%snare on mobs recovering from fear

Improved Howl of Terror:reduces the cast time of HoT by 50/100%

Soul burn Seed of corruption: Your seed of corruption spells puts corrution on all targets hit by corruption. If the detonation was successful your shard is refunded.

PVE talent specs: Affliction has two viable talent specs. Shadowbolt focused and Drain life focused. At level 80 Shadowbolt focus uses a succubus and drain life uses an imp . Drain life requires a high gear level to stack enough mastery to be viable and must pay more attention to the shadow's embrace debuff to keep it from falling off. Also note, optional talent are optional.

Level 80 Shadowbolt focused build:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#IrGdohsGcdZG:sbcboZm

Level 80 drain life focused build:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#IrGdohsGcdcZM:sbcboZm

OR if you have enough haste to run into the imp GCD bug

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#IrGdohsGcdMZc:sbcboZm

Stats

Shadowbolt focused: Hit till cap>Intellect>haste>>mastery>>crit

Drain life focused: Hit till cap>intellect>mastery>haste>>>>>crit

If using the drain life focused you will need to macro /cast [@pettarget]Firebolt macro to one or more of your abilities for max dps.

Spell priorities:

Shadowbolt focus:

Curse of elements>1Shadowbolt to keep improved shadowbolt buff up>Haunt=Corruption>Unstable Affliction>bane of agony>nightfall proc>drain soul (below 25% boss health)>shadow bolt

Drain life focus:

Curse of elements>1 shadowbolt to keep improved shadowbolt buff up>haunt=corruption>unstalbe affliction>bane of agony>nightfall proc>Shadowbolt to keep 3 stacks of shadow's embrace up>drain soul (below 25% boss health)>Soul burn drain life*>drain life

*Remember that you only have 3 soul shards and limited way to get them back when soul burning. Also remember some bosses have situations where burst is needed and you may want to save this for those encounters.

During the execute phase you will be using drain soul. If during this time you need to refresh a dot wait for drain soul to tick, then clip it to recast your dot.

Lvl 80 PVP OPTIONAL Talents

Improved Life Tap
Improved Fear
Jinx
Shadow's Embrace
Death's embrace
Soulburn:SoC
Fel synergy
Demonic embrace
Bane

Lvl 80 PVP Spec

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#IrhroGsRsdhb:McsaVmm0z

Curse of exhaustion is a 50% snare while improved fear is only 30% and the two talents dont stack. You might not want both in a pvp spec. If you choose Curse of Exhaustion becareful in choosing Jinx as it will overwrite Curse of exhaustion. On the other hand jinx will not interfere with improved fear.

If you spec into bane shadow bolt will be your filler and if you dont use drain life.
Edited by Vaydra on 11/20/2010 1:51 PM PST
[SBawG80Destro] Destruction-

Optional Talents

Improved searing pain:increase critical strike chance by 20/40% on mobs below 50% health

Aftermath:50/100% chance to daze a target after using conflag and give Rain of fire a 6/12% chance to stun a target

Shadowburn:Instant damage spell that returns all soul shards if the target dies within 5seconds. The damage is too low to use rotationally.

Backlash:Gives a 8/16/24% chance to reduce your casting speed 100% when hit by a physical attack

Shadowfury:Low Cooldown instant aoe stun

Netherward:if you have demo or fel armor up your shadow ward becomes netherward absorbing damage from all damage spells of all elements

Nether protection:You have a 15/30% chance of gaining nether protection when a spell hits your netherward. NP reduces damage from that school of magic 30% for 12 seconds

Bane of Havok:15% of all damage done to other targets is taken by the baned target.

PVE talent specs

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#I0bZcZIrbfMbskdo:z0ob

OR if your haste is causing the imp GCD bug:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#I0hZMZIrbfMbskdo:z0ob

Stats after reaching a haste threshold:

Hit to cap>intellect>mastery>crit>haste

Stats at a haste threshold:

Hit to cap>Haste>intellect>mastery>crit

Lvl 80 Spell priority queue:

Soulburn Soulfire to get soulfire buff>soulfire to keep buff up (only above 80% health currently, in patch 4.03 it will be constantly)>immolate>conflage>bane of doom>shadowflame>corruption>chaosbolt>Soul burn Soul fire>imp proc soulfire>incinerate.

There is some debate about whether to cast conflag or chaosbolt immediately following immolate. Here is Essons answer

Immo->Incin/CB->Conflag vs Immo->Conflag:

This comes up ever so often so I thought I should address it first. Here is the deal when figuring this out, as its entirely dependent on your own latency. First calculate the damage per cast time (DPCT) of CB, Conflag(If casting directly after immo), and maybe incinerate(if DPCT(conflag) < DPCT(CB)).

Here is the calculation for DPCT immediately following conflag.
DPCT(conflag after immo)=Avg dmg of conflag/[(Latency*2 in seconds)+(GCD in seconds)]
DPCT(conflag after filler)=Avg dmg of conflag/GCD
DPCT(CB w/o pyroclasm)=Avg dmg of CB/Casttime.
DPCT(CB w/ pyroclasm) =Avg dmg of CB w/pyroclasm/Casttime

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=21559816289&sid=1

^the above link will be no good after the forums are deleted.

Destruction OPTIONAL PVP talents.

Improved soul fire-15% haste buff

Soul leech-health return/replenishment

bane of Havoc-15% damage to baned target

fel synergy-a pet heal

Level 80 Pvp stat-

TBA. My source on destro pvp isnt linking its destro pvp specs atm =(

AND

TBA. There are two of them and i cant see either T.T

My guess:

Imp focused:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#IZhZIrbfRcsRbo:qzVqdRM0z

OR

Succy/felhunter focused

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#IZhbZIbrfofsR0o:qzVqdRM0z

Level 85 PVP destro spec-TBA
Edited by Vaydra on 11/20/2010 1:59 PM PST
[SBawG80Demo] Demonology-

This is the school that teaches your warlocks how to better control and capture more powerful demons. Demology warlocks recieve the most powerful of all minions at level 10, the felguard. Upon mastering this school the warlock can transform even become demons themselves for short periods of time. Of all warlock specs demonology warlocks provide the most utility to the group.

Optional PVE talents-

Felsynergy-

demonic rebirth-

demonic aegis-

Master summoner-

Demonic empowerment-

Improved health funnel-

aura of forboding-

Lvl 80 PVE Spec-

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#IZcdrfourRdoG:0aVob

Stats-

If between soft and hard immolate thresholds like 23.81%-30% haste or 42.86%-50% haste stack:

Hit to cap>haste>intellect>mastery>crit

If your not at the haste levels above stack:

Hit to cap>intellect>mastery>crit>haste

Level 80 Spell priority queue:

Meta>Curse of elements>immolate>Hand of Gul'dan>bane of doom>Corruption>immolation aura>shadowflame>incinerate (if molten core is up only)>Soulburn soulfire>soulfire (decimation)>Shadowbolt

The reason for the haste levels and different stats is because it is possible to reach a lvl of haste where its impossible to refresh immolate with hand of gul'dan. Elitist Jerks recommends trying to stay away from this value of haste. Its usually between soft(5% spell haste) and hard haste thresholds. Past these points avoid haste.

Here is a chart from a spreadsheet i made showing how much time you will have to refresh immolate with Hand of Gul'dan.:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/lostlink247365/Untitled.jpg

Rememeber Hand of Gul'dan has a ~1second travel time.

Optional PVP talents-

Fel Synergy

Master Summoner

Demonic Rebirth

Improved Health Funnel

Ancient Grimoire

Decimation

Shadow and Flame

Lvl 80 PVP spec-

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#IZIrrfRubodoh:Mm0adqM0z

Hand of gul'dan is a dangerous spell in pvp as it can lock you out of both shadow and fire if interrupted.
Edited by Vaydra on 11/16/2010 9:32 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]