Becoming a rogue

(Locked)

66 Human Rogue
My biggest disappointment so far in WoW came when I finally discovered Ravenholdt Manor in Hillsbrad and learned that it was just another quest objective: no nest of roguish secrets, no sneaky clubhouse, nuthin. Class-related quests like this one (The Manor, Ravenholdt) offer great opportunities to deepen players' involvement in lore. (If they aren't interested in lore, they don't have to explore it.)
90 Orc Rogue
Yeah, sadly Blizzard has taken alot of the flavor out of classes (or never put in that much). The only thing you can really do now is use your own imagination.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Some classes have more 'flavor' than others. Mages get a whole friggin' city and a ton of NPCs, druids have a whole zone of their own, shamans are there to stop the world from getting roflpwn't by the Maelstorm, and so on.

That said, I guess the whole point of rogues is that they're so stealthy nobody knows what they're up to. Sad excuse, I know, but at least it works for me until Blizzard gives us something better >_>
Building off what Vaala says, basically, the classes in WoW are divided into "specific" and "generic". Some classes in WoW are actually umbrellas that cover a large amount of classes and professions in lore, whereas some only encompass one. Warriors, rogues, priests, hunters, and more recently, paladins, are the "generic" classes, while mages, druids, shaman, death knights and warlocks are the "specific" ones.

An individual rogue can be, depending on play style, skills and culture, a warden, an assassin, a lightslayer, a scout, a duelist, and more. All of these professions have vastly different training regimens and lore unto themselves, and as such, they can't really say "oh, you learned to be a rogue at Ravenholdt".
85 Human Paladin
At least yours is available to you. Tyr's Hand is overrun with Scarlet Crusaders and, come Cata, undead.
Yeah I was super excited when I stumbled upon it back in vanilla, but was equally disappointed that it really didn't do much. I guess real RPers could hold meetings there.
66 Human Rogue
Thanks to Omacron and Vaàla for their input. i realize that I can configure my personal roguishness any way I like. I just wish that Blizzard recognized the desire of players to get clubby within the lore. If we arte encourtaged to pay attention only to gear and moves, that's what we'll concentrate on, reatyher than how we function within the larger game plan, and that's a loss for everybody, not just us rogues but everybody who plays with us.
98 Orc Warrior
I have an island nobody visits where lvl 30 NPCs punch each other.

I have an island nobody visits where lvl 30 NPCs punch each other.

True that too... I forgot about that place. Question is... did you get the axe or the sword?!?!?

The island is just where you went to learn Berserker Stance before they just put it on the trainer.

And I got the axe. You always pick the Whirlwind Axe.

Thanks to Omacron and Vaàla for their input. i realize that I can configure my personal roguishness any way I like. I just wish that Blizzard recognized the desire of players to get clubby within the lore. If we arte encourtaged to pay attention only to gear and moves, that's what we'll concentrate on, reatyher than how we function within the larger game plan, and that's a loss for everybody, not just us rogues but everybody who plays with us.

Admittedly, not a lot of people play rogues for the flavor of the class... /sadpanda Although I do like the new flavor texts for rogue specializations, especially the one for Combat:

"A swashbuckler who uses agility and guile to stand toe-to-toe with enemies."

I'm still waiting patiently for a spotlight in a book, comic or manga. So far, the closest we've got is either Garona (whom I really dislike as a representative character for our class, to be honest) or that gnome in The Shattering (whose name I still can't remember, dammit). Oh... and Valeera from the comics (Wowpedia lists her as a rogue, even though daggers + skimpy red clothing = definitely not my textbook image of one...)
85 Human Paladin

A swashbuckler who uses agility and guile to stand toe-to-toe with enemies."

I'm still waiting patiently for a spotlight in a book, comic or manga. So far, the closest we've got is either Garona (whom I really dislike as a representative character for our class, to be honest) or that gnome in The Shattering (whose name I still can't remember, dammit). Oh... and Valeera from the comics (Wowpedia lists her as a rogue, even though daggers + skimpy red clothing = definitely not my textbook image of one...)

Sounds like we need Jack Sparrow in WoW. Duke Falrevere first comes to mind, but then I remembered he's a gruff jerk.

And she's not a textbook rogue. She's more of a bodyguard than an assassin.
80 Night Elf Priest
Blizzard is working on class mangas. They should get to Rogues eventually.

I'm hoping it will cover all three rogue "specs" as it were. I actually enjoy trying to figure out what "spec" certain lore characters are. It gives you a good sense of what your character is doing, and what your character may be capable of. For the Rogue manga I would hope we would get to see all examples of an assassination, combat, or subtlety rogue.
At least yours is available to you. Tyr's Hand is overrun with Scarlet Crusaders and, come Cata, undead.

Hey, paladins get Hearthglen. Also, the Argent Dawn/Crusade is an order composed entirely of Paladins, Blood Knights and Sunwalkers.

And some warriors and stuff thrown in for good measure.
85 Human Paladin

Hey, paladins get Hearthglen. Also, the Argent Dawn/Crusade is an order composed entirely of Paladins, Blood Knights and Sunwalkers.

And some warriors and stuff thrown in for good measure.

It's composed of just about everything.
85 Human Paladin
Well, warriors are universal to almost all races. Like DKs, just about any race has or can have warriors. Unlike DKs, they've never been a unified force.

The closest I can figure is Fray Island off the coast of the Barrens with Klannoc Macleod, but that's getting taken over by pirates [rogues] come Cata.
Edited by Sternbridge on 11/16/2010 1:33 AM PST
85 Tauren Druid
Well, warriors are universal to almost all races. Like DKs, just about any race has or can have warriors. Unlike DKs, they've never been a unified force.

The closest I can figure is Fray Island off the coast of the Barrens with Klannoc Macleod, but that's getting taken over by pirates [rogues] come Cata.

But...but...he's immortal!
85 Human Paladin

But...but...he's immortal!

I don't believe he's killed, just the island is taken over. But i'm not in beta so I can't confirm that.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]