Zone Disparity Explained

80 Night Elf Priest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3PIerVBtTA&feature=sub

I think this video gives a good overview of the global situation of the Alliance Vs. Horde. It's not as imbalanced as whiners claim.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
His ending line made me laugh. :P
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest

I think this video gives a good overview of the global situation of the Alliance Vs. Horde. It's not as imbalanced as whiners claim.

Good for the zones. Thats not the entire issue. Its not even the majority of the issue.

Complaining about the zones is more of a symptom of the issue.

This thread is to bring clarity to zone control in the story, as this is the story forum. If you have an issue not related to zone control. you can make your own thread or be reported for trolling/derailing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This thread is to bring clarity to zone control in the story, as this is the story forum. If you have an issue not related to zone control. you can make your own thread or be reported for trolling/derailing.

Now let's not get too hasty Master Hobbit, let's hear what he has to say first.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Am I the only one that doesn't consider WPL "even"?

I'm also unsure I would call Desolace or Badlands even but (as I'm not in beta and haven't seen any walkthroughs) I can't really say for certain.

Same for Arathi.

I'd call them more "Horde leaning" but again I'm not in Beta and just going by what I've heard. Please feel free to correct me with solid information.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest

Good for the zones. Thats not the entire issue. Its not even the majority of the issue.
Complaining about the zones is more of a symptom of the issue.

You misunderstand my point. The "whiners" are complaining about the zones only as a response to a larger issue. Considering the video, and the post, was to bring clarity to the zone disparity because people were whining (which is minor, and no worse than the Alliance have now, as your video shows) its only fair to point out the zone disparity is not the issue with the whiners. Its a symptom.
You specifically mention said whiners and so does the video, and thats fine, but dont get upset when someone points out that the zone disperity is not the reason why people are whining.
As for your video, as Jesse himself says, its up to the player, and thats just how HE saw it. While thats always true to a degree, and OMFG is fairly good at keeping an open mind, this post is a bit premature.
It doesnt really have any context, because many of us have not played it, and are unable to make our own opinions on the subject. This is unable to further the story in anything other than a superficial way, due to that lack of context for many of the players and posters on these forums.
For instance, going by the sound of his Southern Barrens preview on his World Map series, it seems the Horde is dominating the zone, and not the Alliance. Forests, Tauren hiding out in the forests, fighting off the Quilboar, naval fleet attacking Northwatch. His map says otherwise.
Because of this lack of context, and lack of intimate knowledge for many of the posters, it makes this map no more than one persons opinion, as he himself said, albeit a fairly levelheaded person, normally.

And my opinion sides with Jesse. As the title says, this is a matter of clarity. There are people (the whiners) who make some very large claims like "Horde controls everything." When it's 100% fact they don't. This video is what the original post says, some clarity.
Edited by Mystero on 11/9/2010 12:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
The Alliance chain in WPL makes a big point of saying "We were pushed out of Andorhal, but we still have a foothold here" at the end. Andorhal is the only major loss in all of WPL, that 1 town. It's not this raging battle across the entire zone.

Whether it's without context or not, it's a general overview of "global domination" between the Horde and Alliance. Even if you don't take it literally the numbers are still close. That's the entire purpose of the post. The "whiners" have this idea that Horde is just dominating everywhere.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Andorhal, the one quest I can't make work for the life of me.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
WPL is Horde leaning. Alliance essentially lose the battle for the zone with the battle for Andorhal. All they have left is Chillwind. A couple tents and a house.

Arathi is Horde leaning. (Could easily change)

I'd say Desolace and Badlands are Horde leaning as well...I think Nijel's Point (the main Alliance base in desolace) gets firestormed. In the badlands the Horde have a large fortress while the Alliance have a wooden tower and a couple tents. I don't know seems pretty Horde leaning to me but then I'm not in Beta and for all I know the Alliance curb stomp the Horde in these zones.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
I would actually put Ashenvale as Alliance favored because the Night Elves not only undo and retake from the Horde, they even gain some they didn't have before (which is actually mentioned in the video).
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I can't really say whether or not this whole issue of imbalance favoring the Horde is as bad as people have been saying, not having played the beta myself, but I truly hope it's worse if anything.

The way Blizzard seems forced to give each side exactly even numbers of everything seems kind of lame, from an objective standpoint. A fantasy world in which every race must be exactly equal, and every action or event must have an exact equivalent for the opposition, doesn't lend itself to nearly as many interesting stories.

Counting out disparities zone by zone like an American election seems like a really bad way to measure this regardless.
Reply Quote
The Horde still has a lead.

So should we discount those who might be concerned it's not balanced or are they "whiners" too?

and as also pointed out: up until now, the alliance has had the lead.
there's no real point in complaining about stuff like this Bud, the story moves on, factions gain and lose land, it's just a matter of war.
eventually the Alliance will be in the lead, with teh horde beaten down again, and they'll come out clean and sparkly as usual, while the horde will be even darker, and closer to the old horde.
it's one expansion, i doubt it'll stay like this for next expansion, and the alliance will once again have more land dominance, better set up lore, and a general feeling that they are the good guys, and they can do nothing wrong.

not saying they don't do anything wrong, or that the people that play the faction think they can't do anything wrong, because that's far from the truth, but the feeling i got from leveling my Alliance toons over my Horde ones was a general sense of superiority, and that "holier than thou can't do anything wrong cause we're better" feeling.
Reply Quote
All I'm saying is how can you be sure the horde will ever take a hit?

All we see now is the Alliance taking hit after hit, suffering loss after loss - the Horde seems utterly unstoppable.

The Alliance struggles to hold on to the crappy territories it holds now - while the Horde just keeps on expanding with no problem(coupled with the Forsaken Plot Armor-er I mean, wonderful strategy of Plague).

It seems everywhere the Alliance fights, they lose. Hillsbrad(Worgen/Dwarves), Gilneas(Yes, I know - the peninsula is held by the Alliance, but the 7th Legion, the Alliance's ELITE FIGHTING FORCE, is wiped out by the NUB.), Ashenvale(stalemate - but they still get roflstomped many times), WPL and Stonetalon.

I hope you're right, Glaan. I hope the Horde starts taking losses and getting more and more dark, but right now you have to understand - that out look seems bleak for Alliance players.

It just seems they'll go on being unstoppable.

seeing as the Alliance wins Ashenvale back, takes over most of the southern barrens, WPL is only one city lost (not the zone, just a small subsection thereof), and that the NUB isn't necessarily new soldiers, just a new batallion, and you end up with a far less bleak looking outcome for now.
yes the alliance is losing the war right now, no that doesn't mean they're always going to be losing.

as proven by the Horde winning right now, Blizz likes setting on faction up as the underdog, and then having them completely beat up the 'superior' faction, because that makes people feel better about their faction.

right now the Horde is getting somewhere, up until now they'd been outshone by the Alliance at pretty much everything (excluding draenei, poor draenei never seem to get any love =( ).

just hang in there Bud, everything will turn out fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]