Most Fun/Complex Clothie DPS

85 Worgen Death Knight
I've played a melee/tank class (Warrior, Druid, DK) for nearly my entire WoW career and with Cata coming up, I want to take the opportunity to try something new (as an alt, of course).

1. Comparing Warlocks, Mages, and SPriests, which would you say has the most fun or interesting DPS rotation? By this I mean, has to watch for procs; a good rotation v. a bad rotation means a significant DPS difference; isn't spamming one or two buttons the entire boss fight (i.e Arcane Mages).

2. Which class brings the most added utility? I.E. SPriest off-specc'ing for healing; mages for CC, portals, Intellect Buff; Warlocks for summons, soul stones; etc.

3. Which class is very rewarding to play in PvP? I don't necessarily want the OP 2-shot class, but I would like to have one that has a learning curve and (similar to DPS) there is a difference between a good and bad player.

4. And finally, which one makes me look more leet and will add significant inches to my E-Peen? (I kid....)

Thanks for your help!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
/Bump

No help?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
1. I can't comment on mages as I have never played one and likely never will, but I do run this lock and a spriest (who's only lvl40 now, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt) and between the two I would say that the lock has a much more fun/interesting DPS rotation (by your definition); especially if you're going affliction.

2. For raid utility, I would say the spriest off-specc'd for healing (disc, that way you can heal and DPS for added fun)

3. I haven't PvP'd on the spriest yet, but I can say for sure it's very rewarding downing anyone as an affliction lock. It currently takes a bit of finesse to be efficient in PvP as an affliction lock.

4. LOL. I'm gonna go lock here, however it's my first love and I'm extremely biased in that regard.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll start with a priest so I can off-spec heal for faster dungeon queues as well as when a raid would need it
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Any of the Warlock specs, I hear, are fairly complex.

And Fire Mages should have a decent rotation, relative to Arcane.
Reply Quote
95 Undead Warlock
I like locks, I have a mage im working on and its kinda boring no offense to mages. The best part of mages are pvp imo thats where they shine. Locks too though, mages have some fun tools for dealing with enemies...but locks can pop up after you think they are dead and get you, or watch you run off dying to them anyway. And in Demo who wouldnt want to be a giant killing machine Demon from the twisting nether lol..then there is destro its has the I wanna see things blow up and burn

Priests seem really fun but I havent tried to level one since way back 05..they were a pain to level. They do however provide nice damage as well as buffs utility they can heal their team mates.

In pve I think locks or priests simply because it gets a little boring on mages in pve but thats me, like I said in pvp all three are fun. Ooo have you considered shammys ..very versatile and fun.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Ooo have you considered shammys ..very versatile and fun.

True, but shammys aren't really "Clothies"...
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Interesting rotation? By far Locks. The added value they've put into all of the specs is fantastic. One class manages procs, one manages DoTs, the other has a mishmash of both with crazy demon abilities... and is the only class with a larger AoE rotation than most classes single-target one.

Utility? Mages, and to a lesser extent locks. Mages have the largest toolbox immediately available to them, and it's easy to follow 'cause everything is broken down into 3 different colored packages. Locks have similar utility, but it's kinda convoluted, tied to minions, and simply more complicated.

I don't have enough self-hate to play PvP.

Sheer glory? Priests and Locks. A good priest can revel in the glory of both the Light and the lives they've said. Shadow priests always look the same, but it's pretty BA to begin with. Lock tier gear is always the best-looking of the bunch, and has been since day 1.
Reply Quote
A tank friend of mine after playing a warlock on the ptr said:

"Warlocks are the warriors of casters. They have a tool for every situation"
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
A tank friend of mine after playing a warlock on the ptr said:

"Warlocks are the warriors of casters. They have a tool for every situation"

That's a pretty good way of putting it. I've always preferred warriors for tanking because they felt more involved. Locks feel more involved when you're dps'ing.

Unless they've significantly changed them, mages are a snoozefest to raid with. Fun to pvp with though.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
In PvE, my opinion is that Affliction, Demonlogy, and Shadow are all interesting enough to keep you involved in the spec. Plenty of buttons to press, and lots of stuff to track. None of them are too hard to "master", but I find that as far as clothies go, these three specs will keep you the busiest. Shadow will be getting Evangelism and Arch Angel to track at 85, so there is something else to watch out for i the rotation.

As far as PvP goes, the only interesting clothie I find is Demo, although Affliction certainly keeps you busy at times as well. I used to put Frost on this list, but lets face it, after 4.0.1, Frost is hardly a precision spec. Destro, Shadow, Frost, Arcane, and Fire are all pretty easy to play, and if you are looking for complexity, they aren't served with huge amounts of it, at least not at the level needed to succeed with the spec. If you are talented as a mage player, nothing will likely every touch you, and as far as Fire and Frost go, you don't even have to stop moving to do damage. Even if you are mediocre with them, you can still manage to be a terror in a bg.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

That's a pretty good way of putting it. I've always preferred warriors for tanking because they felt more involved. Locks feel more involved when you're dps'ing. .

Yeah, that is what I find too with warrior tanking. The level of involvement needed when tanking as one certainly keeps things somewhat fresh, at least compared to the other tanking classes. Although in all fairness, I have not tried tanking with anything other than a warrior post patch.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
So I've heard that Afflic Lock has a really interesting/rewarding rotation. But I've also heard that recenty (and into Cata) that Afflic locks are sorta left behind and if you want to do good DPS you need to be Destro. Is that true?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
So I've heard that Afflic Lock has a really interesting/rewarding rotation. But I've also heard that recenty (and into Cata) that Afflic locks are sorta left behind and if you want to do good DPS you need to be Destro. Is that true?

Subject to change of course, but yes that's true.
Reply Quote
23 Blood Elf Paladin
Have played every spec of Clothie (except for Holy Priest), the Shadow Priest and Affliction Lock have the most in terms of "complex" DPS styles/rotations. Of course, if you're looking for complexity then you should be tanking (complex in-game management) or healing (complex out-of-game management).

Utility, priest all the way. You've got CC (via Shackle & Mind Control), healing, shields (even very useful during a raid/pvp as Shadow to add that extra bit of survivability), and even a fear. Each class brings its own unique skillset and bonuses, but neither the Warlock or the Mage come close to matching the ability heal if needed (from a pure utility perspective) or the sheer fun value of Mind Control. Of course if you never want to heal from time to time, then a Priest goes from top to bottom of the list.

Can't speak for the other two.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]