Most Fun/Complex Clothie DPS

85 Worgen Death Knight
Thanks for all your suggestions/comments. I am trying to decide between Lock and SPriest...

a class with 3 specs all with interesting and high DMG rotations?

Or a class that can heal (only role I havent tried) and do decent DPS?
Reply Quote
Going to echo the rest. 'Lock is the most complex by design. It's a counterpoint to Mage's proc juggling + single damage focus. Warlock will have you juggling procs and pets and abilities.

Spent a loooong time with the complexity of a 'lock and looking forward to the deadly, single mindedness of a mage for cata.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue

6. Ice Mage (IF it was actually a viable rading spec)

Its quite good on beta atm at fresh lvl 85, you have mana issues as every other spec but frost is like an energizer bunny.

In epics though, fire romps it good.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Spriests ftwwwww!

theyre just so fun.

Mages = arcane blast spam... which is ridiculous. I have a mage and think that if you can do one spell and be on top there is something wrong.

Locks - mine is a lower level but i like it alot so far. great for bosses that fly or disappear you get to watch your dots tick anyway xD
Edited by Kurunai on 11/10/2010 6:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Arcane mages watch:
a damage buff macro cooldown
arcane blast stacks
arcane missile procs (which have a proc graphic)
mana shield duration

I can't comment on fire or frost specifically, but they must be more complex than arcane.

Demonology warlocks watch:
a damage buff macro cooldown
variable metamorphosis cooldown
curse duration
bane duration
corruption duration
hand of gul'dan cooldown
immolate duration relative to hand of gul'dan cooldown
molten core procs (no proc graphic)
decimation proc
improved shadowbolt debuff duration
felstorm cooldown
pet health and location (avoidance doesn't work on aoe dots)

Affliction has almost as much to watch as demonology. I can't speak for destruction, but i'm sure it's much more than arcane.
Edited by Attar on 11/10/2010 9:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
The new Fire is really, REALLY fun. I'm a little concerned that the crit scaling at 85 (we'll have much, much less) will be problematic for Hot Streak procs, but we'll see. In the meantime, it's great. The damage output isn't quite as insane as Arcane at the moment, but that will change as we move into Cata, with Mastery on gear, and the spell cost scaling at 85 (which will un-trivialize mana management for Arcane).

Back in TBC when I played my Warlock as my main, I ran as Affliction. Affliction has changed quite a bit since then, but I remember it being a *lot* of work. Much, much moreso than any Mage spec I've played. Very fun and rewarding - but so much to keep track of at any given time that maintaing raid awareness was sometimes a challenge. A good timer mod was absolutely necessary.

Reply Quote
80 Undead Warlock
So I've heard that Afflic Lock has a really interesting/rewarding rotation. But I've also heard that recenty (and into Cata) that Afflic locks are sorta left behind and if you want to do good DPS you need to be Destro. Is that true?

Not at all. In fact, affliction right now is parsing highest of all the warlock specs (the Drain Life version).

But keep in mind that right now at 85 on premades warlock specs are all within 600 dps of each other, which to me is mind-blowing to begin with.

As for your original question: what you want is a warlock. Mages are borin as heck to play, no matter the spec. Spriests have 1 way to be played. Locks have 3 viable, distinct specs, and two of those are very challenging (and rewarding): aff and demo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
In my opinion I have played Destruction, Affliction and Demonology all at some point in a competitive raid enviornment

1. Comparing Warlocks, Mages, and SPriests, which would you say has the most fun or interesting DPS rotation? By this I mean, has to watch for procs; a good rotation v. a bad rotation means a significant DPS difference; isn't spamming one or two buttons the entire boss fight (i.e Arcane Mages).

I would say Demonology Warlocks or Affliction Locks. Destro I do not feel is complex. You literally spend most of your time hitting incinerate. And using two spells on CD and keeping 2/3 Dots on the target. Demonology has 2 main spells(Shadow Bolt and Incinerate) 3 Dots(Immolate,Corruption, Bane of Doom and with Metamorph, Demonic Empowerment CDs makes it a bit more interesting. Demon Soul in Cata will also be pretty bad ass and I plan on going demonology in Cata simply because I feel it would be more fun. Back on Topic. You have 2 main procs. Molten Core and Decimation. Molten Core is the only time you should be casting Incinerates and Decimation is anytime below 35/30% HP. (This may have changed. I do not play Demonology currently on Live.) You should be casting Soul Fire.

Affliction, has less procs but alot more things to watch out for. You have your dots as Unstable Affliction, Corruption, Bane of Agony, Haunt, and spamming Shadow Bolt. Obviously you have a bit more to watch then any of the other specs But yeah.

I do not play a Mage really so I cannot say about them.

SP I play an Alt but never truly raided with. It feels very Bland. Not much really to them imho

2. Which class brings the most added utility? I.E. SPriest off-specc'ing for healing; mages for CC, portals, Intellect Buff; Warlocks for summons, soul stones; etc.

Warlocks them selves bring CC (Fear, If Glyhped. Succubus and Banish ) Healthstones (With an survivability being an important factor in Cata I can see these being useful, more so then now.) And Demonic Pact which is a 10% Raid Wide Spellpower Increase. ( Believe this may have changed and Don't really feel like logging on right now.) Added with Summons, and Soulstones, since Combat Rez is going to be pretty important if nerfs to it I see those being very useful.

3. Which class is very rewarding to play in PvP? I don't necessarily want the OP 2-shot class, but I would like to have one that has a learning curve and (similar to DPS) there is a difference between a good and bad player.

Shadow Currently seems to be Flavor of the month right now.

Affliction Warlocks are fun to play in PvP. It is very much about outlasting your opponent. Destro can be alright if you wanna nuke people but you don't see many teams with a Destro Lock. They are usually always Affliction.

4. And finally, which one makes me look more leet and will add significant inches to my E-Peen? (I kid....)
Well. Warlock Tier looks like crap in Cata. So. I'm going to go With Mages on this one

Thanks for your help!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
So I've heard that Afflic Lock has a really interesting/rewarding rotation. But I've also heard that recenty (and into Cata) that Afflic locks are sorta left behind and if you want to do good DPS you need to be Destro. Is that true?

Not at all. In fact, affliction right now is parsing highest of all the warlock specs (the Drain Life version).

But keep in mind that right now at 85 on premades warlock specs are all within 600 dps of each other, which to me is mind-blowing to begin with.

As for your original question: what you want is a warlock. Mages are borin as heck to play, no matter the spec. Spriests have 1 way to be played. Locks have 3 viable, distinct specs, and two of those are very challenging (and rewarding): aff and demo.

I'm glad they are like that. That is how all specs should be for Pure DPS classes. The specs should have little difference. Affliction, Demonology (Felguard/Emberstorm) and Destro were all amazing. Then Demonology came out of no where and took the lead. All of the specs even now if played correctly are all amazing specs. I'm glad that the specs are balanced in a raid environment
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Any of the Warlock specs, I hear, are fairly complex.

And Fire Mages should have a decent rotation, relative to Arcane.

Destro is simple, Aff isn't nearly as bad as it was in early WotLK, Demo is probably the most complex caster spec right now. Demo is quite annoying in pvp with the felguard changes, its like having your own pocket arms warrior.

Mage wise, arcane is a faceroll and does the most dps. Fire is pretty fun and should be closer in damage output with arcane once arcane is nerfed. Frost has a very complex pve rotation but lags behind fire and arcane. Frost mages are quite fun in PvP, fire is quite viable in pvp now too with being able to cast on the run.

Shadow priests put out good dps, have a fairly complex rotation, can offspec heals, and are terrible in pvp at the moment.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I think I'm going to try out the Lock. I leveled a SPriest a little and it's been boring. Even with the tank classes, in DPS specs they have a lot more DPS tools. It feels like with the SPriest that I just cast MB and MF in between. Not knocking SPriests, but I think I'll enjoy the more complex rotation of Locks. Gonna try those out next...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]