How long does the Authenticator last?

80 Troll Shaman
I've had this authenticator since Blizzcon 08 and I was just curious how long the battery is supposed to last and when I should consider buying a new one.
Reply Quote
I had thought 5 years. But don't quote me on that.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
Well, vasco makes them and their site indicates 5-7 years last I checked.

There was a Blizzard rep, I think, that set up a test that constantly pushed the authenticator's button, non-stop, 24/7 and it burned out after a few months.

It's a pretty long-lasting battery they have in there.
Reply Quote
Don't hold me to this but I believe you can always deactivate it with the serial key on the back so you could use it until it breaks and then order another -- although you'd be without the added protection for about a week. I've had mine since the first wave of them came out and so far so good.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
My husband and I both got one in Sept. 2008. Mine kicked the bucket after a little over a year of use, which is fine because with it's replacement came a Corehound pup.

His is still going strong.
Reply Quote
2 Human Paladin
I purchased my first Authenticator 7/1/2008. It died 6/9/2010. Dead battery.

As luck would have it, I had just purchased an Authenticator for my son who hadn't opened it yet. Fortunately, Customer Support was able to quickly get things switched over while I was on the phone, so my inconvenience was small.

Nonetheless, from here on out I plan to replace mine annually.
Reply Quote
2 Human Paladin
Don't hold me to this but I believe you can always deactivate it with the serial key on the back so you could use it until it breaks and then order another -- although you'd be without the added protection for about a week. I've had mine since the first wave of them came out and so far so good.

The serial key on the back will not allow an automated deactivation. However, this serial number is what the on-phone tech support will ask for.

NOTE: It is very wise to WRITE YOUR SERIAL NUMBER DOWN and store it somewhere safe, in the event you lose possession of your authenticator.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]