EF not worth the loss of WoG (Prot)

90 Human Paladin
NOTE: I am an idiot and terrible at reading everything. Please disregard everything you see blow, unless you want to make a crude remark about me. Then, by all means, go for it.

TL;DR "Big heal good, little heal bad"

Hello fellow prot paladins.

As many of you know, there seems to be a large debate going on as to which talent to choose between; Sacred Shield or Eternal Flame.

My co-tank has been trying to convince me to use Eternal Flame for the past few weeks now as it has been buffed. I've been using Sacred Shield for a while now.

So, I tried it out last night during raiding (not for long mind you). Almost instantly I regretted it, I wasn't aware that you lost Word of Glory in the process (shows how well I read).

Don't get me wrong, it seems that the healing output of Eternal Flame is more efficient than the shielding of Sacred Shield. However, this is not worth the loss of Word of Glory. So many times throughout raiding on progression fights and in sticky situations, I have gotten Word of Glory crits that are essentially Lay on Hands. There have been crucial moments in progression fights for us where Word of Glory has literally kept me alive long enough to result in our raid group besting the fight.

Not only this, but Word of Glory has far more raid utility than Eternal Flame. I've saved countless lives of my raiders with Word of Glory. It doesn't heal nearly as much as it does on me, but it's been enough to keep them alive long enough for a healer to get a heal off.

Eternal Flame is just too slow, the heal may be greater (over time) but the instant heal of 200k-600k hp is just too much to pass up for me.

Please give me your thoughts on this reasoning and if I'm thinking about this incorrectly.
Edited by Feedthebeast on 9/26/2013 5:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You do realize that Eternal Flame does instant healing as well as the HoT, right?
Edited by Vaelryn on 9/26/2013 3:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
EF's initial heal is the same as WoG, HoPo per HoPo, the HoT is bonus.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
wut no
0/10
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Paladin
My co-tank has been trying to convince me to use Eternal Flame for the past few weeks now as it has been buffed.

I am intrigued. Tell me more about this buff.
Reply Quote
Well this thread was fun. Short, but fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I was not aware that EF had an intial heal. Even so, I don't think it was anywhere near what WoG could output. At least from my short testing.

Once again, shows how well I read.

If what you're saying is true, then perhaps I should look into it more.

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate being informed of this.
Edited by Feedthebeast on 9/26/2013 5:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
wut no
0/10

Also, this was very constructive. Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Upon further inspection, you are all correct.

I'm glad I now know this! :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Initial heal YES !
I don't know how you missed it ...

Lol, what bobby said....... 0/10

EF is our choice, so I've heard SS might be better for a boss or 2... IMO I'll stick with EF, and with our 4pc bonus will be nice!!
Edited by Alexmania on 9/26/2013 9:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
SS still has a niche on a fight where you could get instagibbed and the shield could actually prevent death.

So..........garrosh, maybe.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
SS still has a niche on a fight where you could get instagibbed and the shield could actually prevent death.

So..........garrosh, maybe.

SS gets taken out when the boss sneezes, plus there's the legendary cloak to prevent instant deaths >_>
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
SS is worth taking on a few bosses just because EF does stupid amounts of healing threat.

You gonna have a bad time when all the empowered minions group up on you on p3 garrosh
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
SS is worth taking on a few bosses just because EF does stupid amounts of healing threat.You gonna have a bad time when all the empowered minions group up on you on p3 garrosh

That too, even our warrior tank found his two-set pulling if he was tanking the boss when the adds were out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]