Proving grounds.

90 Blood Elf Priest

Our own shortcoming, eh?

It was much easier on my Shaman. Keybind Wind Shock to a focus macro on Oto.

Since the hotfix, gold is fine even without interrupts. It would be nice to have a reliable interrupt though, but i'm sure there's tools in our kit other healers would like too, like mass dispel.
100 Undead Warlock
Definitely not. Proving ground are boring as heck. I got the green fire, rank 10 brawlers guild, and am either 1 or 2 dps in my guild, and I got to round 8 I think of gold on my first attempt and decided it was way too boring with literally no payoff to try again. At least the green fire and the brawlers guild were a ton of fun. Proving grounds just seem boring, dumbed down, and a waste of time. Though, I can see them possibly being useful with people new to a class.
90 Human Priest
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity"

Oh I never do. Which is why, whenever possible, I try to limit the stupidity of people doing stupid things in public. I doubt requiring proving grounds will drastically improve the quality of players in dungeons, but it will at least keep the super inept (hunters in int) away.
90 Human Rogue
09/27/2013 06:46 AMPosted by Nonamekiller
Silver is FAR too much to expect for LFR. Silver, at least for tank and healer, is normal progression raiding. If you can do Gold you're ready to push heroic raids, not LFR.

Really? I haven't done LFR in a while.... and silver is a JOKE (at least for the DPS one for ME). I personally had no trouble from bronze to gold, the only time I died was when I alt tabbed after killing a wave and a banshee snuck in and blew up.

Everyone who I have talked to also had no problem at bronze and silver. Gold... things got tricky for them though.

Silver dps is a joke for warlock - not so much for some other classes though.
90 Blood Elf Priest

I've come pretty close to silver dps ... as disc. I'm sure any spec actually intended to be a damage dealer can stomp silver with no problems. Bronze tank/damage dealer as disc was super easy.
Edited by Quorim on 9/27/2013 8:27 AM PDT
90 Troll Shaman
Silver is FAR too much to expect for LFR. Silver, at least for tank and healer, is normal progression raiding. If you can do Gold you're ready to push heroic raids, not LFR.

I got gold on the second try. I guess I should start doing more than LFR healing? Lol...
Edited by Elemenó on 9/27/2013 8:26 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Druid
I think proving ground is novel.. Not sure how much I'll do it.

I kinda want to see if I can get farther into endless, but because since your stats are nerfed in there... healers mana regen is horrible. And, I don't want to reconfig my gear just for that activity.

The thing that makes LFR people love LFR is that ANYBODY can get in there and a bad DPS can pretty much stay now that they have determination...

I'm not sure I like this idea since proving grounds don't TEACH you, they just test you.
90 Human Warlock
Okay folks boil this down: and think VERY carefully on the following

The suggestion is to turn an optional content into a mandatory one for more than a million players who run LFR across all areas of the playerbase.

Think of the fact that we arent just talking America here....and consider for a moment the possible repercussions.

Including mass sub cancellations. Dont dismiss that as a "wont happen". It may.

Also bear in mind that other MMO's wont demand a "mandatory test" for gameplay.
Edited by Mirisanelle on 9/27/2013 8:32 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest

I'm not sure I like this idea since proving grounds don't TEACH you, they just test you.

As long as the feedback cycle is rapid enough, testing and teaching amount to the same thing. You break down wave you're having trouble with, see what the problem is, try to improve strategy, restest and compare results.

I wouldn't see much of a problem requiring silver for lfr, but I don't think it's really necessary or even useful either.
Edited by Quorim on 9/27/2013 8:32 AM PDT
90 Human Rogue

I've come pretty close to silver dps ... as disc. I'm sure any spec actually intended to be a damage dealer can stomp silver with no problems.

I play warlock, rogue, feral druid, mage and all those have done bronze - I started silver on my rogue and feral and had a wipe. I tried my warlock and it was ridiculously easy, so all classes are not equal, I imagine if I went back and tried my rogue and feral again I could do silver but why bother - it doesn't 'prove' a single thing to me when one class so much easier than another.
90 Blood Elf Priest

I play warlock, rogue, feral druid, mage and all those have done bronze - I started silver on my rogue and feral and had a wipe. I tried my warlock and it was ridiculously easy, so all classes are not equal, I imagine if I went back and tried my rogue and feral again I could do silver but why bother - it doesn't 'prove' a single thing to me when one class so much easier than another.

All specs are able to get gold for their correct role (eg: disc can get healing gold, rogues dps gold, druids tanking gold, etc). Some classes might be better than others, but that's really only relevant in endless.
Edited by Quorim on 9/27/2013 8:35 AM PDT
11 Draenei Paladin
09/27/2013 08:12 AMPosted by Fairadey
I think they have basically been proven wrong in their justification of trying it out in bg's

The thing is though we aren't dealing with bots in LFR we are dealing with people that just afk, besides an activity meter would negate the need to break /follow anyway so maybe that is the answer.
Edited by Judgernaught on 9/27/2013 8:41 AM PDT
90 Human Rogue

All specs are able to get gold for their correct role (eg: disc can get healing gold, rogues dps gold, druids tanking gold, etc).

You aren't telling me anything I don't know. I realize they all CAN get gold, my point is IF it isn't equally difficult for all classes/specs it is entirely meaningless in my books.
90 Blood Elf Priest

You aren't telling me anything I don't know. I realize they all CAN get gold, my point is IF it isn't equally difficult for all classes/specs it is entirely meaningless in my books.

I don't think the delta in difficulty from class to class is large enough to be concerned all that much by, honestly. Priests are maybe a bit weaker in PG-Healer than others, but I don't think we're talking by a giant margin although I haven't tried it on my shaman.
90 Undead Priest
Okay folks boil this down: and think VERY carefully on the following

The suggestion is to turn an optional content into a mandatory one for more than a million players who run LFR across all areas of the playerbase.

Think of the fact that we arent just talking America here....and consider for a moment the possible repercussions.

Including mass sub cancellations. Dont dismiss that as a "wont happen". It may.

Also bear in mind that other MMO's wont demand a "mandatory test" for gameplay.

Other games test players with content before moving onto harder content. It's a difficulty progression. This doesn't really exist in WoW anymore. It used to be you'd go from dungeons, to heroics, to normal raids, to heroic raids. Now it's like, you go from dungeons, to heroics, to dailies, to LFR, to Flex, to normal raids, to heroic raids.

It doesn't make a lot of sense.
11 Draenei Paladin
09/27/2013 07:36 AMPosted by Erres
Proving ground achievements are about as useful as a driver's license, think about that the next time some guy cuts you off and flips you the bird, there is a very high chance he holds a valid drivers license.

Are you implying that requiring a driver license to (legally) operate a vehicle does nothing to help our road safety, that having to demonstrate your ability to use a vehicle before actually using one is pointless? Are you suggesting that if we were to completely drop the license requirement, that the quality of the drivers on the roads would take zero hit whatsoever?

Sure the guy on the road might cut you off and be a schmuck, but at least he has demonstrated he is at least semi-capable of driving.

Quite honestly, your little analogy supports the ideology of requiring proving ground achievements for LFR, in my opinion.

All gating LFR behind proving grounds will do is justify players when they kick and afker with the knowledge that they do indeed have the skill to attain whatever threshold of PG the gate is set to. As for drivers licenses their biggest function in society is as a form of official ID. Just because a person can prove they are competent to pass a drivers exam in no way guarantees they will continue being competent behind the wheel once they pass.
Edited by Judgernaught on 9/27/2013 8:52 AM PDT
90 Human Warlock
Other games test players with content before moving onto harder content. It's a difficulty progression. This doesn't really exist in WoW anymore. It used to be you'd go from dungeons, to heroics, to normal raids, to heroic raids. Now it's like, you go from dungeons, to heroics, to dailies, to LFR, to Flex, to normal raids, to heroic raids.

It doesn't make a lot of sense.

TESO doesnt. Wildstar doesnt.

Other running MMO's dont have it. They dont force people into a "mandatory test" and use this "test" to gate content. Elder Scrolls is just pay sub, create character, logon, go and play to your hearts content.

This discussion is moot as I cant ever see Blizzard doing this...it would create far more issues than it would solve.
Edited by Mirisanelle on 9/27/2013 8:45 AM PDT
90 Human Priest
Just because a person can prove they are competent to pass a drivers examine in no way guarantees they will continue being competent behind the wheel once they pass.

The point though is that it proves they are competent. Even you said so in your own words.
Edited by Erres on 9/27/2013 8:46 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Hunter

Or we could just wipe to Nazgrim / Dark Shamans again, and again, and again, and again, and again...

Btw, did I mention I was in a LFR with Nazgrim, got to 10 stacks, and STILL wiped? Mainly because 3/4 of the DPS were well below what they needed to do, and I mean like pushing 30-40k dps.

I would be all for this suggestion, but I couldn't see most people getting gold.
11 Draenei Paladin
09/27/2013 08:38 AMPosted by Quorim
I don't think the delta in difficulty from class to class is large enough to be concerned all that much by, honestly. Priests are maybe a bit weaker in PG-Healer than others, but I don't think we're talking by a giant margin although I haven't tried it on my shaman

There have been a lot of conflicting reports on the equality of PG when it comes to class/specs and even gear (yes I know gear is scaled down to 463) but sockets, gems, reforges and enchants are said to play a significant role in success and failure rates in PG.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]