Just healed the Dark Shaman fight...

90 Human Paladin
...oh god...so many things to avoid...running from fiery ring of death, barely dodge a twister, then BAM! Ashen wall and another tornado. Have to help kill slimes...everyone's health just dropped...I can't reach the tanks! Oh god god run run run...

So much stuff...oh god....*shudders* I'm just a single Holy paladin, I'm not built for this!

*curls into fetal position, begins sobbing*
Reply Quote
The Ashen wall is always summoned on Haromm's tank, and is summoned in a way such that it goes left-to-right of Haromm's line of sight. The easiest way to avoid dealing with the walls as a non-tank is simply to have the tank place himself smartly so the wall does not spawn in some dumb place like right across the center of the area. Falling Ash takes a lot of time to fall down, so moving out of it isn't hard, and I *think* it is more likely to spawn on melee (because Blizzard loves melee!).

Whoever gets targetted by the Foul Geyser needs to run away from the group so that the slimes will spawn away from everyone and head slowly towards the raid group and ranged can take them down with ease.

Quite a chaotic fight and feels more like an amalgamation of "lets see how much we can hate melee" mechanics; but as a healer it should not be much of a problem if placed correctly.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
"We heard you like poop, so we put some poop in your poop, and then added poop that melees you to death. Enjoy!"
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Cycle around Org moving from building to building. When Earthbreaker hits 50% he casts ashen wall.
Have the active tank on him, run into a building. Bank, Garroshs' hold, AH, any building in the "circle" works.
This keeps the ashen wall completely out of the raid.

Other than that, it's quite a simple fight really.

Constantly kite and slowly move around the room, this should mitigate storms greatly.
Tank that gets gyser needs to gtfo, meaning adds spawn in a controlled position, allowing;
Ranged DPS needs to prioritize adds.
You need to not bring more than 2 melee dps, as melee dps really can't go anywhere near the adds due to pulsing aoe damage from each add, something like 100k every 3 sec per add within 3-4yards?

The fact of the matter is, unless you're stupidly stacking melee dps, this is entirely, 100% a tank specific fight.
It's a lot for a tank to manage, but it's entirely on them whether or not you down this fight.

And ps, for the "fiery ring of death"....ANYONE ever gets caught in that should be kicked from raid permanently.
It's the most visible raid mechanic in quite some time, along with 15 seconds before impact.
I've yet to see one person die to this. You literally have to go afk to die from this.
Edited by Tonydanza on 9/28/2013 1:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Cycle around Org moving from building to building. When Earthbreaker hits 50% he casts ashen wall.
Have the active tank on him, run into a building. Bank, Garroshs' hold, AH, any building in the "circle" works.
This keeps the ashen wall completely out of the raid.

We're (hopefully) going to hit Dark Shaman next week. I'm soooo seriously glad I came here and read that little tidbit of information. I'm going to tell my raid about that before the fight starts, and hopefully we'll down them pretty easily.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Start the fight on the road towards the valley honour doing so can give you a lot of room in the area being the valley of strength it's just a very movement heavy fight and as long as you have a 200k+ range dps only one is needed too deal w/ the slimes,
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I remember seeing Illidari Council described as "the grand poobah of not standing in stuff". After attempting Dark Shaman on Flex, I can safely say that this fight out-poobahs Council.

We only had one ranged dps, unfortunately, we just had too many melee on. For our last attempt, I went Shadow and we attempted to two heal, but one of our healers isn't very geared (he's an alt). My extra dps helped a lot, but the healers couldn't handle it. Sigh.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This fight looks terrifying, and I don't know whether I'll be tanking or healing it.

*curls up into a ball and cries*
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
We just cycle around the outside edges of the main Valley of Strength part.

Always move left or right, depending on what we were told to do. The stacking helps the healers, and keeps things without too much chaos.

But this fight eats melee alive.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

Always move left or right, depending on what we were told to do. The stacking helps the healers, and keeps things without too much chaos.

We had trouble with stacking, usually ended up taking too much incidental damage as a result of it so we have the ranged kind of scattered around the middle. Mostly do it the same way though.

It sucks for everyone, really. After a while, you just run out of places to stand.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest

We had trouble with stacking, usually ended up taking too much incidental damage as a result of it so we have the ranged kind of scattered around the middle. Mostly do it the same way though.

It sucks for everyone, really. After a while, you just run out of places to stand.

Yeah, when we tried stacking in the middle, Wavebinder would cast Toxic Storm on one of the healers and boom, tornadoes for errybody.
Reply Quote
For flex, ranged and healers stacked slightly west of the zone, more or less where the NPCs drop the resistance totems. Melee and tanks would start in front of Garrosh's room and move clockwise as stuff forced them to move around, with ranged moving to middle the moment range became an issue.

This fight sums up everything of why having melee in your raid sucks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My 25man raid sends the boss who casts Geyser alll the way down the road, up the "ramp", and the tank tanks him at the catapult just before the exit from the Valley of Strength. All of the melee go with that tank, as well as I believe 3 healers (could be we dropped one of the healers for our kill, leaving that group with 2; I can't remember).

The other boss gets swapped between a Brewmaster and a Blood DK and kited in a circle in the main area, with all of the ranged & the remaining 3 healers.

When the bosses Bloodlust, we Hero (since it's 25man, we obviously have a number of players who bring Heroism so all players get the buff even though the groups are far out of range of each other), and at that point the melee group begins making their way back towards the main area. On our first kill, I believe we managed to merge the raid again; on our 2nd kill, I believe the melee group didn't even make it back to the main area before the bosses died.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure why we go with this strat. All I know is that the first night we worked on the fight, before we adopted this strat, was a painful evening of wiping with purple and green crap everywhere. When we showed up the next evening we went in with this strat and after a few close wipes, got the kill.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm just a single Holy paladin, I'm not built for this!

Yeah, I bet it's tough for you casting classes.

/snicker

I kid. It's pretty hectic. I've enjoyed doing it on LFR and flex.. looking forward to normal.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I liked shamans. We've only had 2 pulls on reg but I think its fun to heal. Loving holy pally right now. Being able to spam flash of light when I need to and using selfless healer made it real easy to me. Don't remember my numbers on those reg pulls but in flex last night I was averaging a solid 96k while not ooming. Had a good lead on the other healers. With selfless healer I feel much better on high movement fights.
Reply Quote
My 25man raid sends the boss who casts Geyser alll the way down the road, up the "ramp", and the tank tanks him at the catapult just before the exit from the Valley of Strength. All of the melee go with that tank, as well as I believe 3 healers (could be we dropped one of the healers for our kill, leaving that group with 2; I can't remember).

This is what we did as well. We 3 tank/2 healed (10 man). 2 tanks, 1 healer, and both melee dps went up the hill and I stayed down with our ranged dps and our DK tank that just kited around in circles.
Edited by Morenn on 9/29/2013 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
09/29/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Morenn

This is what we did as well. We 3 tank/2 healed (10 man). 2 tanks, 1 healer, and both melee dps went up the hill and I stayed down with our ranged dps and our DK tank that just kited around in circles.

We did that in flex yesterday, it helped a lot. Though we did it with 14 people, I feel like it would be more annoying in 10 man with less people.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It's the most visible raid mechanic in quite some time, along with 15 seconds before impact.

Except when 90% of the circle is under the ground because the player was standing in a dip.

This fight by far gave us the most trouble getting a repeat kill this week, everything else we 1 or 2 shot.

Funnily enough one of the issues we had was because people refused to cross the incoming meteor even if it was still safe and having range issues because of it.
Reply Quote
We did that in flex yesterday, it helped a lot. Though we did it with 14 people, I feel like it would be more annoying in 10 man with less people.

Eh wasn't really annoying at all. Honestly it pretty much trivialized it because space was more clear Ashen Walls were positioned to not be anywhere near anyone, and melee were nowhere near slimes so no risk of accidental touching. You (obviously) lose some cleave damage, but overall it makes it a TON easier.
Edited by Morenn on 9/29/2013 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm confused by that strat D:

I understand that you send the slimes shaman up the ramp with a tank, melee and some healers, while the other Shaman is 2-tanked back in the normal area and just kited around. But does that mean that it is your melee who are dealing with the slimes? Or do you have your ranged AoE aggro the slimes so they run towards the main area rather than back up the ramp?

I wish it was easy to get a 3rd tank in LFR. It was a nightmare to do that fight :c
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]