Sacred Shield still on GCD for Prot?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sacred shield sustained a 30% effectiveness reduction in 5.4. 2 things I have noticed so far is the shield do not hold out as well and they do not proc as often. So my question to Blizzard is why is it still on GCD? Yes Paladins have enough filler time to use said ability but still it takes away form other attacks and ability's.

Yes the numbers say Eternal fire is better but I liked Sacred Shield as it did not cost anything. With it becoming much less effective at helping my damage mitigation I am temped to use Eternal Fire.

I think that whole redesign of sacred shield they where going to do originally should be looked in to again as it looked and sounded really cool.

Really this is all just food for thought as I like talents that prompt a play style choice rather then a THIS IS BETTER MUST, TAKE THIS, YOU ROLE NEED THIS!!!! That everyone starts to say about 3-4 weeks after a patch is released.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
When you get your SOO 4-set bonus, Eternal Flame won't cost anything either. Not even a global.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes the numbers say Eternal fire is better but I liked Sacred Shield as it did not cost anything. With it becoming much less effective at helping my damage mitigation I am temped to use Eternal Fire.

Eternal Flame. And just tempted ? Switch now, it has a curve. Learn it and be the most effective you can be.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
people havin to wait on RNG to get there peices just for it too work should not be intended either, i understand what hes saying but lets promp dks with there survivability in the hands of death strikes that has yet to be touched but blizzard is making classes less of a choice for paladins then it was after the nerfs to both SS and EF and the difference here is that other classes dont have to constantly go away from tanking to put there heals off it is all part of there class or play style paladins not so much we got to go out of our way just to add heals as if prot is now just a DPS, tank and healer role why should paladins be the ones having added pressure on there back how many healers do u know in progressive raiding that can dish out good heals and maintain super high damage the awnser is none because they there isnt room for them too dps and even if they did its not gonna be anything great to boast about on the damage meters yet prot paladins get shafted like they normally have done while dks warriors and monks have there heals built into there class not from said ability out of the way costing us more holy power.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
09/29/2013 06:25 PMPosted by Nazarum
2 things I have noticed so far is the shield do not hold out as well and they do not proc as often.
What do you mean it doesn't proc as often? It doesn't "proc" at all, it generates a new shield every time it ticks, which is dependent on your spell haste and hasn't changed at all since 5.3.

Also, the reason that it's on the gcd is because it'd be just plain stupid if it wasn't. If it wasn't on the gcd then you'd be able to just macro it into every single other ability you have and ensure that it's always up with zero thought and zero effort, and at that point it might as well just be a passive ability that is always on and doesn't require any refreshing.

people havin to wait on RNG to get there peices just for it too work should not be intended either
They don't have to wait for their tier for it to work. EF is superior to SS even without the set bonus, the bonus just makes it even better than it already is.

I don't even know what you're trying to say with the rest of your post. It almost sounds like you're saying that prot paladins are underpowered or being shafted because you think they have to go out of their way for their healing, in which case, no. There's nothing "underpowered" about prot paladins in any way shape or form.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Dk for the love of your readers, try not to post a blob of fn words !!

Space bar there for a reason!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dk for the love of your readers, try not to post a blob of fn words !!

Space bar there for a reason!

Just gotta get these words on this page!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
people havin to wait on RNG to get there peices just for it too work should not be intended either, i understand what hes saying but lets promp dks with there survivability in the hands of death strikes that has yet to be touched but blizzard is making classes less of a choice for paladins then it was after the nerfs to both SS and EF and the difference here is that other classes dont have to constantly go away from tanking to put there heals off it is all part of there class or play style paladins not so much we got to go out of our way just to add heals as if prot is now just a DPS, tank and healer role why should paladins be the ones having added pressure on there back how many healers do u know in progressive raiding that can dish out good heals and maintain super high damage the awnser is none because they there isnt room for them too dps and even if they did its not gonna be anything great to boast about on the damage meters yet prot paladins get shafted like they normally have done while dks warriors and monks have there heals built into there class not from said ability out of the way costing us more holy power.

All "one sentence". Amazing.
Posts in this form are automatitcally assumed to be unintelligent and are universaly ignored.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
09/30/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Bound

All "one sentence". Amazing.
Posts in this form are automatitcally assumed to be unintelligent and are universaly ignored.

I wish it wasn't the case because I don't like to be judgmental but generally that's the truth. Names too. Dethmoomoo doesn't help.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hey yall its Nazarum SO this is my main and the whole thing up there^ about choice for DKS I would say that with this latest patch we have more choice then ever.

The lv 55 talants are all for different playstyles and so are the Lv 75 once all involve how you like to manage your ruins. HOW EVER we are talking about Paladins here not DKs.

To talk a bit more about Eternal Flame I really want to use it but I fell like while I am still gearing up and do not have much haste to reduce GCD its less viable as I can not keep optimal up time on it.

I do not know if playing Paladins come easier with gear but right now I am in almost full 496's and I am having issues with damage spikes forcing me to pop heavy damage reduction cool downs.
ALSO I do not know if its my organization or what but im running in the to the double edged sword of OK my mitigation is up at and im ok but oh crap dps just popped a CD and my threat is not high enough.

Maybe I just suck at Paladins.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Also, the reason that it's on the gcd is because it'd be just plain stupid if it wasn't. If it wasn't on the gcd then you'd be able to just macro it into every single other ability you have and ensure that it's always up with zero thought and zero effort, and at that point it might as well just be a passive ability that is always on and doesn't require any refreshing.

well some one did not read the patch notes early on :P Originally it was going to become a passive in 5.4 working in a different way to proc based on damage dealt to the foe. On top of that a new ability was going to be added in place of sacred shield with a ticking effect ( sorry I think of procs and ticks as almost the same) where you would be granted greater damage reduction to your next damage absorbing effect.

I guess the redesigns did not work cuz the whole thing was removed form patch notes after the 3rd PTR update and they just made it so Holys version was different.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
well some one did not read the patch notes early on :P Originally it was going to become a passive in 5.4 working in a different way to proc based on damage dealt to the foe. On top of that a new ability was going to be added in place of sacred shield with a ticking effect ( sorry I think of procs and ticks as almost the same) where you would be granted greater damage reduction to your next damage absorbing effect.

I guess the redesigns did not work cuz the whole thing was removed form patch notes after the 3rd PTR update and they just made it so Holys version was different.

You just proved his point. It was bad when it was passive-like, so it was removed early on.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC
At first I didn't really notice it, but after playing with EF for a few weeks now and then trying to play with SS it could get annoying wasting 2 gcds a minute to keep up SS.

To talk a bit more about Eternal Flame I really want to use it but I fell like while I am still gearing up and do not have much haste to reduce GCD its less viable as I can not keep optimal up time on it.

EF and WoG aren't on the GCD for prot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]