Picking the 3rd Healer

90 Blood Elf Priest
Good Evening WoW forum boards, I know its risky even #@$%ing posting on here but Im not looking for some explanation of which is most OP or what not. I have a Monk and a Shaman healer for my raid group. I will be the third healer for the group for the pulls im needed. I have all healers except monk at 90 with gear. Which would work best?

I feel like a double Shaman, monk set would have the easiest time keeping everyone up with the ability to easily change between single target and aoe heals.

My raid group is mostly in favor of me running my disc priest, because for some reason everyone says that disc is SUCH a great healer. :/ In LFR and PvP and such, I just dont see it.

What do you think?
Reply Quote
I agree with your guild but not so much because we are a great healer (though we are). My reasoning is simple: most "3 heal fights" are not really 3 heal fights... they are, at most, 2.5 heal fights. As the 3rd healer you can dps almost the whole fight (which still heals) and have some very powerful cooldowns to add to the mix when necessary.

edit: my guild's comp is Disc/Monk and a Shaman 3rd healer as needed.
Edited by Morenn on 9/30/2013 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Disc priest absolutely. It's the best class to pair with a monk or a shaman, or anyone else, really, except another disc priest. :P It's also the best option for splitting gear among the healers [your raid has].

Holy is a fun offspec, too.
Edited by Bunnylove on 9/30/2013 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Orc Monk
You already have two solid healers, a disc priest compliments that nicely because he helps put in more dps (even if minor) and his shields help reduce the damage spikes making the other healers jobs easier.

To put it another way, you can 2 heal most 10man content. Though 3 healing is easier so long as all your dps is solid. With two good healers theres no real need for a third throughput healer.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm assuming you're talking about 10 man. You should probably grab an absorb-based healer. Disc Priests are quite strong and provide decent utility in addition to a little DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Disc Priest! You already have the throughput more then covered with a shammy and monk, what you need now is the mitigation and triage of disc. The dps doesn't hurt either.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Disc priest.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
As others noted you would probably the best class to fit with those 2. However, do note that all the normals and I am pretty sure the heroics are 2 healable. Though I think we might struggle a bit with immersus this week (on heroic) with only 2 healers as we only have one other "real" hybrid and he may not have a heal offspec. This past week we 3 healed it due to a person showing up (super undergeared, just needed the 10th body who happened to be a healer)

Thus, getting just into that first heroic fight (if / when you get there) you will PROBABLY want that 3rd heal (i.e. you) unless if you have a ton of hybrids etc as the fight at the very end will have a ton of healing oozes hit the boss if you don't have adequate healers around the whole room. However the other heroics I am pretty sure are 2 heals.
Edited by Gardiff on 9/30/2013 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Paladin if you don't have a ret or prot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Whichever one is your best DPS. Preferably one that can share gear between DPS and healing specs, or one whose DPS spec gear is on an uncontested roll.
Edited by Kaels on 9/30/2013 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Paladin if you don't have a ret or prot.

This actually is a good point...it does suck to have all the int plate go straight to DE. Plus, holy pallies are doing great right now. I'd still vote for disc tho :D
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
09/30/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Morenn
are not really 3 heal fights... they are, at most, 2.5 heal fights.

We mostly run 3 heal -- two druids and a disc priest -- in 10m. Works nicely; if more heals are needed for mechanics, priest does more healing. Healing good with two but need three full time? Priest lays off on the healing during any times of need.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
We mostly run 3 heal -- two druids and a disc priest -- in 10m. Works nicely; if more heals are needed for mechanics, priest does more healing. Healing good with two but need three full time? Priest lays off on the healing during any times of need.

Perhaps I'm extremely spoiled with two excellent healers, but we 2 heal every fight. Sometimes it's a healing issue, other times it's a mechanic issue, and even still other times it's a DPS issue. It doesn't seem like we're barely scraping by in the healing area, even without the third healer.

Perhaps a lack of hybrid DPS/not two Protadins would change our success.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
2 heal everything

collect loot
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you aren't a big fan of disc but your guild would like extra dps from one of the healers you could always go paladin (absorb mechanics, as previously stated) and have the monk fistweave for the "2.5 heal" fights, and you could go ret and just have the 2 of them heal if you didn't want that many healers for a given fight.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]