5.4 Inscription Drops

90 Worgen Priest
So the Patch has been out for a while now, as well as the the new glyphs. Which begs why we aren't seeing with a bit more frequency, some of the crazier cosmetic glyphs. So after a few hours of researching, I've found there is a SERIOUS gap in information for scribes about their new patterns and how they drops. If you look around, most of the information is confused and WoWhead is currently "accurate" but hard to understand in relation to drops and needing to be a scribe.

So after researching furiously, I have compiled a (hopefully) helpful list for scribes and anyone else looking for the new patterns.

So let's talk about the glyphs themselves for a second. There is a lot of argument about a glyph being BoP, Soulbound, or none of those things. The answer is that ALL of them are correct. I know I know.....Pain in the A. Below I will list each new glyph in the appropriate category. So what does this mean for scribes? It means at least 20 of the new 40 something patterns can ONLY be obtained by a scribe. Go ahead and farm all day on your mage for your healing priest, because the glyphs we aren't seeing, only drop for scribes. I hope that piece of information ALONE saves you hours of fruitless farming. I wish I had known it sooner myself.

WTB GLYPH DROPS!
Now let's discuss WHERE to get your brand new glyphs. It's no secret that you can obtain quite a handful of them from Timeless Isle. But isn't it just the most curious thing that we are seeing the same 10 glyphs over and over and over? So this is where Blizz got a bit clever and irritating. They said they wanted us to take our time and explore. So Inscription is suffering a tad for it. Some of the best glyphs drop off of NEUTRAL mobs, or mobs that only spawn once an hour. Now, if your scribe can NOT do LFR, Flex, or Normal raids, you will probably never see all of the new glyphs. Raids (Particularly SoO) have been producing some of the highest glyph drop rates of all the BoP glyphs.

So below is my official list. I sincerely hope this helps de-confuse scribes and clear up how to interpret WoWhead.

Mob/Zone specific Drop Glyphs
ALL of these glyphs can be sold, traded, mailed.

Glyph of Condensation - drops from rare mob Zesqua
Glyph of Evaporation - drops from mob Jademist Dancer
Glyph of Headhunting - drops from mob Burning Berserker
Glyph of Impaling Throws - drops from mob Eternal Kilnmaster
Glyph of Inspired Hymns - drops from NEUTRAL mob Windfeather Nestkeeper
Glyph of Lingering Ancestors - drops from Spectral Monks in Old Piju
Glyph of Loud Horn - drops from mob Ordon Candle Keeper
Glyph of One with Nature - drops from mob Ashleaf Sprite and rare mob Leafmender
Glyph of Pillar of Light - drops from mob Foreboding Flame and rare mob Jadefire Spirit
Glyph of Rain of Frogs - drops from mob Gulp Frog and rare mob Bufo
Glyph of Regenerative Magic - drops from mob Damp Shambler and rare mob Rock Moss
Glyph of Shifted Appearances - 4k Timeless coins from rare vendor Whizzig
Glyph of Skeleton - drops from rare mob Rattleskew
Glyph of the Lean Pack - drops from mobs Crag and Primal Stalker
Glyph of the Watchful Eye - drops from mob Ordon Oathguard
Glyph of the Weaponmaster - drops from rare mob Jakur of Ordon

BoP Glyphs (will only drop for a scribe)
These glyphs can drop from ANY mob in ANY MoP content for scribes

Glyph of Angels
Glyph of Astral Fixation
Glyph of Divine Shield
Glyph of Elemental Familiars
Glyph of Enduring Deceit
Glyph of Eternal Earth
Glyph of Exorcist
Glyph of Festering Blood
Glyph of Flaming Serpent
Glyph of Improved Distraction
Glyph of Long Winter
Glyph of Purging
Glyph of Spirit Raptors
Glyph of Spirit Wolf
Glyph of Swift Death
Glyph of the Compy
Glyph of the Executor
Glyph of the Sha
Glyph of Unbound Elemental

Soulbound Glyphs (will only drop for scribes)

These glyphs are common, and can not be rolled for amongst scribes in a group.

Glyph of Hand of Sacrifice
Glyph of Sprouting Mushrooms
Glyph of the Raging Whirlwind
Glyph of the Subtle Defender

I hope this clears it up! Now, if you are a scribe and looking for the BoP/Soulbound glyphs, wowhead statistics have shown Siege of Org raid mobs as having the highest drops rates. I personally have obtained a couple in LFR this way. Other scribes are reporting luck in farming the following mobs: Southsea Plunderers, Silverhorn Calves (in Jade Forest), Goats (from the fatty goat steak halfhill daily), Gorge Stalkers, and most fast re-spawning mobs that spawn in large quantities. My recommendation is to just get a group of friends together and start killing as many mobs as you can. Many of the BoP glyphs WILL drop from Timeless Isle. So you would do well to form a party/raid and farm the youngol across the bridge near Ordos.

Thanks for reading!
Edited by Cuddleswell on 10/4/2013 8:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you very much!!! :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I'll vote for sticky but the title wouldn't look good stickied.

Maybe something like 5.4 Inscription drops
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Logged in (again, web site STILL broken!) for the sole reason of voting your post up and requesting a sticky. Excellent summary.

BTW, my scribe (who is in no way gonna be doing Ordos *anything* as a holy priest ;) hasn't seen any of the four scribe-only drops so far. Her main farming spot is in Jade Forest with the Jinyu along the river. Usually get maybe one glyph drop an hour. Which brings me to my second point...

Why are scribes - who are (anecdotally anyway) usually not the hardcore dps toon in the stable - being asked to go out and grind mobs for their profession recipes, while tailors, blacksmiths and leatherworkers only need one item drop and then can sit at home doing their daily cooldown? And why are 95% of the new glyphs that are dropping the ones for Shamans and Warriors, the only two classes I don't play...? *cue conspiracy music*

(Also, my dps LW, BS and Tailor have all random-learned the 553 healing gear but not the DPS gear... that conspiracy is looking a little more solid now ;)

I think making glyph techniques random world drops AND drops from one-shot mobs is a bit rubbish. And would have thought so even more had I not managed to snipe a Glyph of Evaporation technique from the AH for a tenth of what it's "meant" to be worth ;)
Reply Quote
Very well done. Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Thanks! :) I changed the name for sticky purposes.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
This is really appreciated, have tons to do it seems. Time to farm.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
Great post,

Yea my scribe alt has killed rares to the tune of about 20k coins, done a few cooking dailys, killed 12 bosses in lfr and 6 in normal tot and has a grand total of 4-5 so far:(
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The Technique: Glyph of Skeleton is the hardest glyph I have ever tried to obtain. Less that 1% chance to drop from a mob that spawns every two hours....
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
It's rumored that the glyphs you can sell/trade/etc...have a higher drop rate for scribes than any other profession. I don't know if this is valid or not, and I am not sure if there is actually a way to test this. Point being, in the event that IS true, doing Zesqua and Rattleskew would be better on a scribe : / even if that scribe is your holy priest ><
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Update: I personally have had the most luck in obtaining the BoP glyphs doing LFR Part 2 SoO trash mobs before Galakras and before Dark Shamans. I've even gone back to redo that LFR because the drop rates seem to be so fantastic off those trash mobs.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Drop rates for the other ones are reasonable... but the one (Skeleton) I mentioned is tied to that one mob. (and there are a couple others like it, but not as bad)
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Thanks for the list.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Is it glyph of exorcist or the exorcist or 2 different ones
Long winter or the long winter or 2 different ones
Unbound elemental or the unbound elemental or 2 different ones
Sprouting mushrooms or the sprouting mushrooms or 2 different ones

Not trying to be picky or be a critic. This has been very helpful an i request sticky. Just making sure I don't farm something I already have. Or assume I have something n not farm it
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Is it glyph of exorcist or the exorcist or 2 different ones
Long winter or the long winter or 2 different ones
Unbound elemental or the unbound elemental or 2 different ones
Sprouting mushrooms or the sprouting mushrooms or 2 different ones

Not trying to be picky or be a critic. This has been very helpful an i request sticky. Just making sure I don't farm something I already have. Or assume I have something n not farm it

on your armory you can click the profession tab and then select not yet known

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/mannoroth/Forwhy/profession/inscription#status=unknown

you have the ones you are asking about.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
That doesn't work. It only tells you glyphs you haven't learn specific to your class. I still learn 2 glyphs a day. But I only have 3 days of research left.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
That doesn't work. It only tells you glyphs you haven't learn specific to your class. I still learn 2 glyphs a day. But I only have 3 days of research left.

im not sure what you need here. you have all four of the glyphs you mentioned.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
**Edit-Disregard what I said...you're right, Ikpitl...I never noticed that before on the armory till I read your post and then checked my main scribe...not showing any of the other 5.4 glyphs except for the shaman ones.....
Edited by Gantaris on 1/8/2014 1:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
Gantaris:
Class has no bearing on what you learn in a profession...you can learn all the glyphs regardless of your character's class...if you couldn't, then you wouldn't have any classes glyph's except those available for druids...

I think they're not talking about what you can actually learn, but what the armory *says* you can learn. I have a lot more research to do on this character, but the armory says I have no more glyphs to learn, even though I'm learning three new ones every day. I never understood what was going on, but I guess it's possible that the armory *does* only display glyphs as "not yet learned" if they're for the same class as the scribe.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Gantaris:
Class has no bearing on what you learn in a profession...you can learn all the glyphs regardless of your character's class...if you couldn't, then you wouldn't have any classes glyph's except those available for druids...

I think they're not talking about what you can actually learn, but what the armory *says* you can learn. I have a lot more research to do on this character, but the armory says I have no more glyphs to learn, even though I'm learning three new ones every day. I never understood what was going on, but I guess it's possible that the armory *does* only display glyphs as "not yet learned" if they're for the same class as the scribe.

it does appear that the not yet learned tab is messed up. you and forwhy have a different amount of learned glyphs but both have the same 9 not yet learned.

wierd, but its easy enough to go to the learned tab and search for the 4 glyphs forwhy was asking about.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]