Returning to WoW: Help me choose a Healer

90 Orc Warrior
Really appreciate the post Catakins, thats great info for a noob and of course I am goimg through the sticky as well.

I think I am between Druid or Monk, could anyone help me decide between those two? Sorry about vagueness of question but I am at a very basic point of knowing the two classes im terms of healing.

What would be the differences or advantages and disadvantages between Druid and Monk, are either more or less viable?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Druids have always excelled in high-movement fights as well as being strong raid healers. Due to Glyph of Efflorescence, we've also become very nice stack healers. We fall behind most other classes when it comes to tank healing. We have one tank cooldown called Ironbark which reduces damage taken by 20% for 12 sec.

Our HoTs are very mana-efficient, whereas our cast-time direct heals are pretty mana-intensive. We have to maintain a fair balance between usage of the two in certain situations. Our HoTs are our primary source of healing, and are made stronger by our Mastery.

Our Mastery is called Harmony. Harmony's in-game description is: Your direct healing is increased by an additional % and casting your direct healing spells grants you an additional % bonus to periodic healing for 20 sec.

Basically this means that you'll have to cast a direct heal every 20 seconds to keep the buff to your HoTs. Mastery is one of our strongest stats.

Our raid cooldown comes in the form of Tranquility. This is a channeled ability that provides initial direct healing as well as a HoT for so many seconds after the channel is complete.

Our damage output potential is probably the lowest of any other healer. We do have talents that make up for this to a degree, but they still fall short due to long cooldowns.

Some things to note about druids: We're usually pretty weak near the start of any expansion due to scaling issues. That's not to say we're rendered un-viable. We just have to work a lot harder to keep up with most other classes. However, by the end of an expansion, we're usually near the top. Druids of all specs scale extremely well with gear.

On to monks:

Monks are the only healing class that is considered melee. This is extremely helpful in most situations where they can completely ignore ranged mechanics. Monks are a relatively new class, but are also very powerful raid healers. They fall short in tank healing and stacked AoE healing. They have a tank cooldown called Life Cocoon which puts an absorption shield on the target that absorbs a certain amount of damage while increasing period healing taken by 50% that lasts for 12 sec.

Monks have a secondary resource called Chi. The building and consumption of Chi through various means is vital to playing a monk. Renewing Mist and Uplift are vital to monk healing. ReM builds Chi while Uplift spends Chi. There are also various other ways to build Chi.

Monk Mastery is called Gift of the Serpent. The in-game description is: You have a % chance when you heal to summon a Healing Sphere nearby an injured ally for 30 sec. Allies who walk through the sphere will be healed for ___. If the Healing Sphere expires before being used, an ally nearby within 6 yards of the sphere will be healed for 50% of the effect.

Mastery is probably one of the weakest stats for a Monk. That's not to say it's terrible, but the Healing Spheres really lack on a lot of fights.

Monks raid cooldown comes in the form of Revival. Revival is instant and heals all party and raid members within 100 yards and removes all Magic, Disease, and Poison effects. The effect is diminished past 12 players (25m).

Monk damage potential is one of the highest of any healers. Disc/Holy priests are probably the only two that have higher potential. Monks also have the capability of healing while dealing damage. Disc priests are the only other healer with this capability.
Edited by Catakins on 10/2/2013 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
sticky requested
Reply Quote
Some general advice:

1. Stay calm! Healers must keep their heads when things go bad but you seem to have become quite upset at the start of the thread. Learn to really examine what people are trying to tell you before you react; the same goes for any healer you are going to be playing. You need to read a situation and use the best tool; a panicked healer means a dead group / raid. Stay calm!

2. Check out the class threads and go over the healer guides for each one. Those will give you a good idea of the kinds of things you will be doing as a healer. You may even head over to YouTube and check some videos there.

3. If you've never healed before, the only thing I can tell you is to pick the class that looks the most interesting and start playing. After you hit 15 and the dungeon finder becomes available, you can start building your skill set. At that low level, all healers are basically reactive healers. If you have any toons that are max level and have a healer spec, you can try one of those out with a guild group and build your skill set that way. It's a LOT to take in healing at max level without any basics built up, but if your guild is really patient, or you have a fellow healer in the guild who is willing to teach you, that is an option.

Ok, I know I didn't directly answer your question, but I hope you find my answers helpful nonetheless. This is a great forum with highly skilled, intelligent healers - listen to their words and your skill will increase without a doubt.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Agre with Mahram and Catakins - would also add-in that Monks have great utility - being able to switch from fist weaving to mist weaving in an instant is fantastic, and with a HoTs (ReM and Uplift) and our LC shield/disarm/paralysis/Spear for interrupt, we have a heck of a lot at our disposal.

That said I find for monk healing to be really effective you need to know your bosses and phases as well as where to stand :p - Kinda expected from all players in every fight, but for us it's critical, particularly when we want to TFT at the right time to maximise HoT replenish and mana and minmize Overheals :)

Hope that helps!
Reply Quote
95 Pandaren Shaman
I like the Shaman so far out of all the healing classes. Totems are a real help for combat and your own self defense.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Hey thanks for all the tips... really extremely helpful to a noobie. I am still devided between Monk and Druid but I have narrowed it down with all your help and will try both and make my decision then.

The downside I see with the Monk is the mastery not being so useful. Also, how are Monks on Mana?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Also, how are Monks on Mana?

"What is mana?"

Monks are arguably the least mana dependent class right now. I see monks with >7k mana all the time.

And it's okay, mastery doesn't' scale well with mastery on gear, but that's what crit is for.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

What is this mysterious blue resource you speak of? I have some under my health bar but it doesn't seem to do much.

In all seriousness though, once you get your meta gem, mana is basically not a thing for monks. Blizzard has admitted it's due to their class design not working as intended and they have to completely re-design the class to make them worry about mana again, so they basically said screw it till the next expansion.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
10/03/2013 10:14 AMPosted by Naér

"What is mana?"

Monks are arguably the least mana dependent class right now. I see monks with >7k mana all the time.

And it's okay, mastery doesn't' scale well with mastery on gear, but that's what crit is for.

Darn right I have over 7k mana. Being a gnome I have 305k! ;-P

Oh, Spirit. Yeah, I'm a borderline baddie at 6998. I blame the Prismatic Prison of Pride that I'm toying with. I've been just a tad over 5.1k and still had zero issues.

The whole draw of a monk is being able to pew pew at a boss then quickly switch to healy mode for heavy damage then back to punching and kicking whatever.

The 1 second GCD gives it a very fast play style. After playing a monk switching to another class just feels so weird and slow.

One really nice perk is being able to use Mistweaver for just about anything from dailies, soloing old content or whatever. We just do that much damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]