All healers should be able to do damage

90 Blood Elf Priest
I've been leveling up a priest, and it along with a mistweaver are the only two healing classes I've ever been able to play for one simple reason: They both do respectable (as in, it's quick and efficient for most circumstances to quest/farm/whatever out in the world in healing spec).

Holy priest takes the cake by far with chastize chakra being absolutely amazing. Practically mana free deeps that can pull respectable numbers without having to have a DPS off spec or carry around a second set of gear.

Here's the thing, I'm lazy, I HATE farming gear let alone TWO SETS of gear. I also hate being gimped DPS trying to be a DPS in sub optimal gear while out in the world.

So, since blizzard obviously designs solo PvE content (think timeless isle type stuff) for DPS specs and is not going to be making any healer-exclusive content anytime soon(hey blizz: It'd be awesome if I could have a little DPS guy npc that I heal while he kills mobs for me *wink wink nudge nudge*), I personally think all healing specs should have the equivalent of holy priest's chastize chakra in someway. Just some way to do decent (say, 70-80k dps) damage while sacrificing heal output to do said damage without having to change spec or gear. It would go a LOOONG way to improving healer QoL while solo out in the world.

It would also allow me to level up a resto druid (because heaven knows I"m not farming a feral set, nor will I stand to do crappy boomkin DPS in suboptimal/non-optimized gear for it).

I roll a healer because I want to play a healer spec, I want to "RP" (not "real" RP but I like to relate and get in the mindset of my characters if you know what I mean) as a healer spec. I do not want to be a "part time" healer where I'm healing spec when I'm in raid, I'm DPS the other 85% of my game playing time. This game, unless you are a holy priest or MW monk, is just flat out not friendly to healers while solo at all in any way shape or form.

What does everyone else think. Do you think all healing specs should have some variation of holy priets's chastize chakra?
Edited by Devidicus on 10/3/2013 4:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd rather healers got no more DPS capabilities added and those that exist right now be taken away next expansion.

I wouldn't mind it *much* if they gave healers some damage capabilities akin to Chakra Chastise, as you suggest, so long as there is something that staggers the transition between Healing and DPSing considerably. Otherwise, if transitioning between both modes has negligible ramp-up(or w/e), then we'd fall in the scenario of "If you're not maximizing DPS every single second you're not healing, you're bad".

I'm a healer and I like healing. Don't make me shoot Lightning Bolts pls :l
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'd rather healers got no more DPS capabilities added and those that exist right now be taken away next expansion.

I wouldn't mind it *much* if they gave healers some damage capabilities akin to Chakra Chastise, as you suggest, so long as there is something that staggers the transition between Healing and DPSing considerably. Otherwise, if transitioning between both modes has negligible ramp-up(or w/e), then we'd fall in the scenario of "If you're not maximizing DPS every single second you're not healing, you're bad".

yup.

i have to admit i do like holy and chakra. lots of people hate the chakra system but i was rather fond of it. i mostly don't play my priest anymore because i didn't want to be forced to dps to heal. so. :x
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The only spec really needing 2 sets of gear would be a pally. Druids can use boomkin (or even feral, it converts over to agility), mistweaver's can just dps as MW, priests can dps as any of the specs, and shamans can do elemental.

Finding gear these days is extremely easy. I hit like a noodle on my druid, so I just ask for people working on the same tasks to group up or bug friends to help ;) Plus the added damage buff from isle comes in handy :D I could wrath spam all day until the taurens come home, if it actually hit well as resto without the buff!

If all healers had a chakra of some sort they'd have balance that out for both pve and pvp. Would it be usable everywhere?
Edited by Veroicone on 10/3/2013 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Oh, by all means I wouldn't want it something that would become mandatory to use in raid. Just make healing specs QoL when solo in the world better so we don't have to have a DPS off spec if we don't want to and don't have to farm 2nd sets of gear.

I used chakra: chastise as an example because that'd be the right way to implement it, albeit with more punishment. Make it so when you are in your "DPS stance" or however the implement it, you do x% less healing or your healing spells cost a ton more mana, or you just flat out don't have access to them.

But a holy priest in good gear in chastise chakra can pull close to 100k DPS when solo, and that's amazing for a healing spec to have. If you are a priest, you really don't need a shadow spec to survive questing/farming out in the world and it's a GREAT QoL feature I feel all healing specs should have.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If all healers had a chakra of some sort they'd have balance that out for both pve and pvp. Would it be usable everywhere?

Probably make it not usable in PvP, but I'd be okay with that because the system would really only be meant to kill quest mobs/typical at-level NPCs in the world and have it not take 20 minutes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
i dont wanna do dmg though if i want to do dmg i will play rogue kthx
Edited by Nillie on 10/3/2013 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Here's the thing, I'm lazy

Catering to lazy people is never the right thing to do, in any scenario. The best QoL change you could ever get is to your outlook, and attitude.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
No.

Nooooo no no no nonononono.

No. No. And no.

Just no.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
The right thing to impose is for healers to be competent in another spec. Not dps in their healing specs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Healers need to stop doing damage all together. Atonement healing was never meant to be the monstrosity that it is today and it throws balance completely out of whack and fistweaving is no better. The fact that I can pull over 100k on many add fights in siege because of this dps legendary cloak and not change my playstyle at all is simply stupid and needs to go.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

Do not speak such blasphemy, Vero!

No one deserves Chakra. Not even Holy Priests. :-\
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I kind of like going resto-kitty and ripping things. :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Technically resto druids have solo capability with cat form since they get 100% int -> agi conversion... just saying...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
While we're giving damage capabilities for healers, give pw:barrier, tranq, healing tide totem, revival and devotion aura to all healing specs. Take away all healing capabilities from dps, give all the dps Heroic Leap, Cat form, Paly Bubble, Army....

It's called diversity. It's what makes each class different. If you don't want to have to collect dps gear then roll a priest or a monk. Simple as that. We're shooting for diversity not homogeny.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
10/03/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Veroicone
The only spec really needing 2 sets of gear would be a pally. Druids can use boomkin (or even feral, it converts over to agility), mistweaver's can just dps as MW, priests can dps as any of the specs, and shamans can do elemental.

Pretty much. Even with pallies it only sucks at the start of an expansion. Right now at expansion's end gear is raining down on us.

Of course if they keep the vendors next expact so we can buy some greens for gold, loot spec so we can heal for dps purples in LFR / Flex once we're kind of geared, and maybe even loot spec for 5 mans (they've hinted at this) for dps blues it shouldn't be nearly as bad as the past.

Plus there's always the Find a Friend solution. It's what I did as a resto shaman in TBC. Okay, I ended up questing with a prot warrior. Nothing died really fast but we were miserable together! ;)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Restokitty surprisingly doesn't suck. Well, I mean, it doesn't match a DPS spec, but if you're just killing some non elite trash for dailies or farming or whatever, it works OK, even if you're not that geared. (Hint: apply one stack of lifebloom to yourself before shifting. OoC procs while you're in cat form allow you to use an extra CP builder without spending energy, which makes a pretty big difference.)

I really hate having to burn multiple glyph slots to kill trash on a holy paladin, though. One of which *actually makes you a worse healer*. IMO, most healers are actually OK soloers, but holy paladins really do have a legitimate beef with how hard it is for them to solo (especially if they don't want to weaken their grouping potential or swap glyphs repeatedly). And the fact that they're one of only two healers that can't use their healing gear for a DPS spec (and the other is mistweaver, which really doesn't need to anyway) just adds insult to injury.

I suppose you could dual spec holy/holy to simplify the glyph issues, but that's a lot of PITA to have to put up with, even if you never mix them up.

Eliminate the DPS glyphs for holy paladins and instead give them better DPS linked to the DPS seals (either giving the procs int/SP scaling in holy rather than lolweapondamage, or passives that duplicate the current glyphs, or both). That would sort of parallel the chakra approach -- they have to actively choose between dps and healing modes, but it's not as painful to change as the current approach.

It just doesn't feel good to spend glyph slots on doing more damage as a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Personally would love to be able to kill something as resto, yeah I can swap specs to ele, but still damage is extremely low as rsham.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you want a Healer that can DPS then be a Priest or a MW. . .otherwise all healing classes can just as easilly use the same gear for the DPS spec with exception of Pally's. Let's not homogenize any more than it already is.

I love being in LFR and there's inevitably that one person "Hey Lumiair why are you DPS when you que'd as a healer?" Well, random person with a chip on their shoulder, I'm a MW and if you'd taken the two seconds to look at the healing meter you'll see that I'm doing both so we can get out of here quicker. Any more complaints you'd like to add? No? Ok then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]