Please Ban Gearscore From the Game

89 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh, no, it automates the process of inspecting a character, looking at their equipment, their gems, their enchants, and evaluating their gear based on someone's algorithms to determine how effective that player could be when played properly
Yes. So?
Providing information is not automation.
(meaning, how the guy with the algorithms thinks you should, int he hypothetical "average dungeon or raid").
This is false.
GearScore doesn't tell you who to and not to invite. It's still up to raid leaders to make that decision. And the recommendations it does provide are very lenient.
it also takes a look at that character's progression and how many times they've killed certain bosses. it gathers that data together, and based on the creator's algorithms, creates a number which represents the summation of the value of a player.
Not only does it not do that, even if it did, it's still just providing information. It's not automation.

That, my friend, is automation, plain and simple.
Nope.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
meh, how is GS working when inspect doesnt work?
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter

Before gear score they just armoried you. Before armory they just inspected you. If your gear is not up to what they want in their raid then tough cookies. Gearscore really doesn't have all that much to do with it.

The only way around it is to build your own raid or run with a guild.

Or to do 30 heroics to get some gear...
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter
Why would you want to run Naxx in the first place?

I would, for achievements. Why not run old world content? I ran AQ on my paladin the other night; four manned it. Was fun, three wipes, but we lasted to the end, I got the achievement and had a great time doing it. That's why people run it.

I am assuming that the people requiring tier 10 maybe just wanted to try undying, or whatever it is called. Or maybe they wanted a super easy run? I doubt GS was the only qualification.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Before gear score they just armoried you. Before armory they just inspected you. If your gear is not up to what they want in their raid then tough cookies. Gearscore really doesn't have all that much to do with it.

The only way around it is to build your own raid or run with a guild.

Or to do 30 heroics to get some gear...

I know right. My alts took less than a week to get up to 5k gs. and a reading through a few guides on the forums was more than enough to help me gear them, gem them, enchant them, and play them good enough for a pug.
Reply Quote
79 Draenei Shaman
Gearscore cannot really be banned. If Blizzard breaks the addon people will just use other means to do the same thing they do with gearscore.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Shaman
We dont use gs on tichondrius on my paladin, so its nice not having that. :3

But I feel your pain, I got turned down an uld10 for not having a 6k gs before on my paladin.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter
/2 LFM 1 druid pst
[Priest-guy]: Can i go?
/facepalm
/2 LF Tailor
[BS-Miner-guy]: Do you need ore?
/facepalm
/2 LF X
[Y-guy]: I'm Y, do you want Y?
/facepalm
/2 LFM 6k+ gs Stockades
[4k-gs-guy]: Can i go? Stockades are for lvl 20
/facepalm
If a raid leader ask for a "warrior in pink dress with a flower blossom as offhand to distract onyxia" and you are not one, don't whisper.
Edited by Aleriax on 11/9/2010 10:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
84 Dwarf Hunter
Even if GearScore was rid of, I still wouldn't get into raids because "lol you don't have the achievement for this raid".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's a problem with the players, not the add-on.
Reply Quote
Making gearscore threads should be ban worthy.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
They can get rid of Gear Score, but there's always the "Average Item Level" that Blizzard themselves implemented.

So instead of them saying, "What's your GS?" they are going to ask, "Item Level?"

And as everyone else mentioned, achievs and armory.
Reply Quote
Low gearscore implies you have spent little or no time playing that class this xpac, so you are statistically more likely to not know what the @%#* you're doing than someone with a higher hearscore.

And high GS may only mean that you can put a lot of high item lvl gear together, regardless if the gear stats are correct for your spec, whether or not you've gemmed and enchanted correctly, GS shows none of this unless you initially inspected the person or someone you've inspected has come in contact with them.
I would rather meet you somewhere and inspect you or you inspect me to make sure the gear, gems and enchants are right for the spec. Even if the items lvls are a little low, at least with a look at your gear I'll know if you know WTH your doing or not.

And lower GS could also just mean they're a fresh 80 alt.
Edited by Locksly on 11/9/2010 11:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
LF1M Healer Kara MUST have +1500 healing!
Reply Quote
LF1M Healer Kara MUST have +1500 healing!

That is completely different from GS! It's asking for a stat that healers should have, not the item lvl of their gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]