Region-Wide Battlegroups - Not So Much?

90 Draenei Paladin
I am 100% there is a bug right now that Ruin and Vindication only get grouped with each other for battlegroups while the other 11 battlegroups get matched with each other. I've queued on my twinks and mains on Ruin and I've queued on my twinks and mains outside of Ruin.

How are the twink battlegrounds on the working servers? Do you see a healthy mix of players from every battlegroup, or are you grouped primarily (~80-90%+) with those from your own datacenter?

It's to early to get the kind of numbers needed to answer your questions. Word of mouth has to get out, and most people don't read the forums daily. Especially people who stopped playing twinks about a year ago.

I think in about a week or two we should see the full effect of this merge but until then have patience.

I'm sure that explanation works for twinks, but not so much for lvl80 battlegrounds. People have been doing those in large numbers since before the region-wide change was put into place :p
Reply Quote
19 Undead Priest
holy !!*# its faxmonkey
Reply Quote
I'd rather the system look to fill numbers based on my home BG and then expand outwards to grab randoms from other groups.

1. I'm sure my latency will be better competing against other people from my BG
2. I'd rather see some familiar players than being in one big dump

C
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'd rather the system look to fill numbers based on my home BG and then expand outwards to grab randoms from other groups.
1. I'm sure my latency will be better competing against other people from my BG
2. I'd rather see some familiar players than being in one big dump
C

That is how the system is currently set up, and (imo) it's working out terribly for a number of reasons.

I see very few players who chose their realm based on geophysical location. Mostly because there are EST and PST realms in NYC, Chicago, Phoenix, and LA - realm time is never tied to geophysical location. Geophysical location of datacenters is also something that's not widely advertised - you have to go to third party sites to find that information, as opposed to time zone which is displayed on all official mediums.

Sadly, I get significantly better latencies when connecting to Chicago/NYC battlegrounds, but I rarely get the chance to play games in those datacenters because of how the region-wide battlegroup works.

I'd much rather get instant queues all the time (and horde players get faster queues) with true region-wide BG matchmaking than how it is set up right now. Right now it obviously isn't working going off of what lvl80 players are saying on alliance and horde sides - inconsistent non-bugged queues being a big factor. If so many horde are still experiencing 10+ minute queues, how do you feel when I queue up for a battleground and consistently am not matched into a battleground for 2-3+ minutes during primetime? I wouldn't be surprised if horde would see MUCH faster queues if they took out this "preferred" home battlegroup system, because alliance would be instantly queued into a battleground every time they attempt it. An alliance waiting around in queue, not playing for 3+ minutes just means that the horde queue gets backed up even further with the PvP population imbalance.

Oh and also: how often do you see the same people without region-wide battlegrounds? I'm pretty sure that I never, ever see someone in a battleground ever again after I match with them once. And if it's someone from my own realm, I can easily group up with them and queue as such.

And yet another complaint I have about how the system is currently set up: the battlegrounds are either alliance dominates and steamrolls (because I was matched into a foreign datacenter that favors alliance), or the battlegrounds are horde-dominated and we get steamrolled (because I was matched into a datacenter that favors horde). That is not fun, I want consistent matches that are averaged across all battlegroups.
Edited by Eloderung on 11/10/2010 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh and also: how often do you see the same people without region-wide battlegrounds? I'm pretty sure that I never, ever see someone in a battleground ever again after I match with them once. And if it's someone from my own realm, I can easily group up with them and queue as such

if you pvp a good bit, you run into the same people quite often.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Oh and also: how often do you see the same people without region-wide battlegrounds? I'm pretty sure that I never, ever see someone in a battleground ever again after I match with them once. And if it's someone from my own realm, I can easily group up with them and queue as such

if you pvp a good bit, you run into the same people quite often.

112k hks and I very rarely run into the same people often. Maybe I'll see one person twice in one day in two consecutive battlegrounds, but after that they disappear off the face of the earth from my perspective.

The only time I see the same people over and over again is top-end arena, but that makes sense. There's only 20-50 other teams that I can possibly queue against that give a reasonable number of points. And since arena will still be limited to battlegroup, I don't see why that should warrant lowering the quality of play experience for alliance and horde by sticking within battlegroup most of the time.

If 80-90% of the alliance and 80-90% of the horde on my battleground are nearly always from my battlegroup, my battlegroup is very heavily horde dominated (30+ minute queues before bg linking), and I see very similar behavior when I'm grouped in alliance-heavy datacenters, then something doesn't seem right. I hope the system preferring your home datacenter is a bug.
Edited by Eloderung on 11/10/2010 1:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Edit: Double post. Ignore :(
Edited by Eloderung on 11/10/2010 1:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
While I prefer to be grouped with/against other players from my battlegroup, I wouldn't prefer that at the expense of a longer queue time. Let the system take a minute or two to fill up my BG buckets and then start adding players from other battlegroups in.

I like seeing opposition from my server (I often recognize them), so I hope a region battlegroup doesn't completely ignore BG lines when putting together teams.

C
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I hope the system preferring your home datacenter is a bug.
As the blue post I linked showed, Blizzard is at least acknowledging their system isn't totally up to par, hopefully their upcoming "fixes" to the system bear some fruit.
Edit: Double post. Ignore :(
Y U IGNORING MEH?!?! D:

Well, that post was in response to Chicago and LA grouping with one another via LFD. It's not entirely related to this issue but I do hope it is indeed a bug (I don't think I've seen a blizzard post about the home battlegroup preference yet).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

You might like it but I'd rather have the option of not having to put up with vindication Horde all the time... I'd like for the battlegroups to be a little more diluted like they seem to be on alliance (seen members of many different servers on that side.. yet every time I end up in a BG it's ALWAYS with the same servers i had before this merger)

That leads to horde getting steamrolled cause most of vindication sucks.

Exactly. It's really bad for game balance. It'll probably be even worse in rated battlegrounds for those who form trade chat premades.

Battlegroups are either horde favored or alliance favored. My own battlegroup has ~80% lossrate as alliance for example, but when I get paired against a large gathering (~80-90%) of Vindication horde on their datacenter, we seem to steamroll the horde with ease. Granted, I've only been paired into Vindication's datacenter twice now, but other people's viewpoints seem to match my own in this regard.

It only seems like this system is lengthening queues for horde and alliance, and simultaneously exacerbating the pre-existing balance conditions that have plagued various battlegroups for quite some time now.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
112k hks and I very rarely run into the same people often. Maybe I'll see one person twice in one day in two consecutive battlegrounds, but after that they disappear off the face of the earth from my perspective.

The only time I see the same people over and over again is top-end arena, but that makes sense. There's only 20-50 other teams that I can possibly queue against that give a reasonable number of points. And since arena will still be limited to battlegroup, I don't see why that should warrant lowering the quality of play experience for alliance and horde by sticking within battlegroup most of the time.

you probably just don't remember the people, because they didn't stick out in ur mind.... i often see the same people again that i pvp with, and i run into kids i used to twink with like on a weekly basis in bgs.

If 80-90% of the alliance and 80-90% of the horde on my battleground are nearly always from my battlegroup, my battlegroup is very heavily horde dominated (30+ minute queues before bg linking), and I see very similar behavior when I'm grouped in alliance-heavy datacenters, then something doesn't seem right. I hope the system preferring your home datacenter is a bug.

I don't really understand this... i don't know if it was worded weird or i am bad at comprehension, but this is confusing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

I don't really understand this... i don't know if it was worded weird or i am bad at comprehension, but this is confusing.

When I am paired with my own battlegroup, 80-90% of the alliance and horde players are also from my battlegroup. This type of population setup is what I see the vast majority of the time in the several IoC/AV I've done the past two days.

When I am paired with a different battlegroup, 80-90% of the alliance and horde players are also from that same battlegroup. This population setup happens once every 5-8 games it seems.

When my battlegroup is horde-heavy and that other battlegroup is alliance-heavy, and the behavior with matching is identical, then there's probably a big issue screwing up queue times. If the system favors your home datacenter and pulls people as necessary to keep queue times low, then the behavior shouldn't be identical between factions on those two battlegroups.

It basically boils down to this: if horde players are consistently experiencing 10+ minute queue times, then alliance players should never experience queues that require more than a few seconds with such a large population on both sides. The only possible wait time that could result for alliance with such a large imbalance is from waiting for other alliance players to join up, but I have a hard time believing that it takes three minutes to find enough alliance players in the entire US to form a single battleground (even an IoC or AV) during primetime.
Edited by Eloderung on 11/10/2010 3:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The queue times for the Nightfall battle group (or at least on my server) are signficantly longer than before the region wide merger. Previously, queues were instant during prime time, and 2-5 minutes during non peak times. Now it's taking 10+ minutes for primetime, and 20+ for off peak. On top of that, I've also only seen a handful of people from servers not in my battle group.

The queue times seem to be a lot shorter if you have a group queuing, which is counter intuitive, or perhaps I was just lucky the few times my guildies weren't too busy playing the new CoD to get on WoW in the past few days.
Edited by Wimplee on 11/11/2010 1:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
The queue times for the Nightfall battle group (or at least on my server) are signficantly longer than before the region wide merger. Previously, queues were instant during prime time, and 2-5 minutes during non peak times. Now it's taking 10+ minutes for primetime, and 20+ for off peak. On top of that, I've also only seen a handful of people from servers not in my battle group.

The queue times seem to be a lot shorter if you have a group queuing, which is counter intuitive, or perhaps I was just lucky the few times my guildies weren't too busy playing the new CoD to get on WoW in the past few days.

That's pretty odd. It seems like different battlegroups still have vastly different queue times with the region-wide battlegroup (though alliance is usually fast, and horde is always slow).

I'm still baffled how I'm seeing 3+ minute random queues and 5-20+ minute solo IoC queues sometimes as alliance when you're seeing 10+ minute primetime queues. Something definitely seems off.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Another thing to note, at least for me, the estimated queue times are usually around 17ish minutes for all times of day, it's just during peak play hours the queue is actually only 10 minutes, while in off peak it goes to the estimated time.

I've also had slightly quicker queues by specific queuing as opposed to random.
Edited by Wimplee on 11/11/2010 8:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
81 Human Priest
Is it just me, or are people not being paired up much with others outside of their own physical datacenter?

Are other people seeing the same thing?

Seeing the same thing on Bloodlust. Think it would work much better without the kinks in the system.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]