Insane no longer requires the Shen'dralar rep

90 Goblin Warlock
As a fellow insane title bearer, this change has really made me sad, so much for hard work paying off, now you'll be seeing tons of people with the Insane as their title and they didn't even have to spend weeks in Dire Maul, spend thousands and thousands on librams and diamonds, Shen rep was one of the biggest hurdles with this achievement. They should at least change it to be "Blahblah the Slightly Insane."

Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I spent thousands of gold getting diamonds and librams and hours farming bop mats, and now I don't know what to do.
I have less than a day to sell them before knowledge of the change becomes public and the mats become worthless.
I don't know if the insane changes are intended or an error, there's no blue post about it and still no blue post about the status of the other reps.
If I sell all my mats now and find out later I still need them or blizzard puts in a separate achievement for shendrelar, I'm screwed.
If I hold onto them and shendrelar isn't required and no other feat is given for it, then I just wasted thousands of gold.
Either way I'm screwed and so is anyone else than got caught in the insane rush.
Edited by Nazmina on 11/10/2010 7:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah I was hoping for a fix to Insane. As in, a way to keep it completable but also maintain it as it is. Not to change the achievement to fit the break.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This is really, really silly. Shen'dralar was the most time-consuming and difficult part of this achievement. It was also the biggest goldsink out of all of the reputations. I understand that there are people that have put in the effort but are not close enough to finish before the Shattering that are upset about not being able to obtain the Feat of Strength, but completely devaluing the achievement so that they can obtain it is ridiculous.

I sincerely hope that this is a datamining issue or some sort of mistake. Sure, you screwed the pooch when you never gave people notice until the VERY end of the entire beta cycle that certain reputations had been removed despite the Blizzard post suggesting there was no rush to complete the Feat, but this is NOT the fix. I've seen posts of multiple people that dumped 10s of thousands of gold into diamonds and librams in the last month because people were gouging so badly. The rest of us also committed large amounts of time and gold on this part of the grind. This is not the way to fix the problem.

It should be simple enough returning the NPC to the library or elsewhere in the world. If librams were removed from loot tables, reattach them. Even Bloodsail - you never actually need to interact with Bloodsail Bucaneers in order to obtain Honored with them, so Booty Bay guards giving rep should be no problem. And of course, everyone can farm pirates around the world regardless of the state of the quest "Free Knot!"
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I kind of feel bad about the 15k gold I made the last couple weeks selling librams and diamonds.

On second thought, no I don't.
Reply Quote
89 Human Warlock
I was happy with fixing Shen'dralar to be obtainable after Cataclysm comes out.

I was happy with replacing Shen'dralar with an "equally brutal grind."

I am not happy with just removing it, and yes I am Exalted with them.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Seriously. I got my achievement when it was hard. Why give it to people that don't need to do half the work? Shen'dralar made this achievement really 'insane'. Taking it out might as well just shouldn't reward the title.

Blizzard, you shouldn't have to cater to completist players that QQ about not being able to have every Achievement in game because it makes them feel better about themselves. When you say you are taking something out of the game, people take it seriously. To me this just sounds like another example of giving in to crying.

If you want to make everything easy to get now, why not give back ZA bear and naxx protos? Because thats a slap in the face to the people that got those achievements when they were HARD. Hence the reward. If you are making Insane in the Membrane arguably 1/2 as easy now, show some respect to the people that actually earned it and make it no longer reward the title.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
So are they taking the ability to gain rep with shen'dralar away or are they taking the faction out as a whole? I swear to god if I have another Wildhammer situation I'm going to choke a *!@!%.
Reply Quote
81 Undead Warrior
Free Knot Runs are still slower (unless you want to keep your bloodsail rep intact after you get it to honored) than killing pirates overall.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
So after people scrambling to complete shendrelar rep the past few weeks, being price gouged, server transfers etc....it comes to this? Why in the world take an awesome achievement and dumb it down this way? It seems so simple to put an npc somewhere and allow the turn ins to continue.

Blizzard obviously seen the outcry over the past few weeks, noticed values of pbd and librams going through the roof as well as people selling mats/making deals across realms, it is pretty frustrating to see this as their fix.

You can blame everyone who was complaining about not being able to complete this achievement in Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
We have no choice but to match the outcry of the unmotivated-yet-whining masses who cried about this being pulled.

If we whine LOUDER maybe we'll get what WE want!!

Seriously good luck with that, i don't have the Insane but i totally respect people that do have it and i don't approve of the change so close to Cataclysm especially since the answer given at Blizzcon

Those ''unmotivated-yet-whining masses'' you speak of already killed the game starting in BC with badge gear and it just went downhill from there

Seriously those guys seems like an unstoppable force, they'll stop at nothing to ruin the game just to have the same things as others, even if others dedicated more time and money to get it

It's sad really and Blizzard just keep on breastfeeding them.

^this

the new FoS (and that's what it is... NEW) should be "Mildly Insane" and leave the old FoS "Insane"

they should NOT share the same title
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
And we now have confirmation that it was an intended change.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1116855#c-1015271794

Very disappointing.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The lack of communication with the community on this issue is simply staggering.

It's been a few weeks since they let slip that this feat would be broken. In that time the only blue response we've had was a condescending reminder that feats are sometimes impossible to obtain and that they basically had no intention of fixing the problem. Many people, regardless of whether they were crying out to have the feat fixed or changed, simply wanted to know where they stood.

No clarifications were forthcoming, but those few weeks were enough time for those who were reasonably close to at least get Shen'dralar done. That led to massive spikes in prices for librams and diamonds. As if grinding this particular rep wasn't already expensive enough, it became doubly so for panicked people who had already invested a lot of time and gold. At any point, it would have been possible for a Blizzard rep to let people know what they were planning to do. And now, with regard to the feat, people found out--not via a blue response to their concerns, but via a line in the patch notes--that they'd blown thousands of gold (indeed, thousands more gold if they were late to the party) and a lot of time for nothing.

I don't say any of this because I'm one of those who managed to get Shen'dralar done in the last week, only to have it not count. Yes, it stings, but the developers are obviously free to change the game as they see fit. But there was no reason for the radio silence. This feat requires a very large investment of time and gold, most of it tied to Shen'dralar, and it would have been nice for some kind of communication with the community after thousands of posts.

Edit: It looks like there actually was a reasoned response from Blizzard while I was typing this. I'm glad they clarified what's going on--and that there will be recognition for those who have exalted Shen'dralar--but it's a bit late.
Edited by Moostafa on 11/10/2010 9:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I'm going to have to start grinding doubletime, racing against the timestamp now, but at least it won't be sudden death if the AH runs out of diamonds, I doubt it will... and hopefully the last 6 I need will be cheaper than 500g a pop now.

Question: Does this mean grinding Bloodsail to exalted will be a new requirement? And do we know if Knot will still be trapped within DM so we can free him over and over (and over and over) to keep both BSB and Cartel rep exalted?

Also, I saw no mention of DMF, but I also noticed a curious lack of DMF visits on the calander prior to the Cataclysm. What do?

This is really, really silly. Shen'dralar was the most time-consuming and difficult part of this achievement.

It so is not, in fact so far it's been not only the easiest but the most enjoyable. Boxes are going to be a pain, Bloodsail was ok, Goblins weren't, and Darkmoon... not only is Darkmoon so much more expensive than Shen'dralar that I can't even begin to calculate it, but the spastic turn-in schedule, in addition to the complete random factor and the sheer number of herbs needed for inks needed for cards needed for decks is quite literally, insane.

Edited by Vulpix on 11/10/2010 9:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Well....this is upsetting, the Insane will be the new Twilight Vanquisher. On the upside I won't feel as bad if I switch mains in Cata.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Vulpix: It's reasonable to assume that the only relevant rep being broken in Cataclysm is Shen'dralar. It would be very silly to nerf the feat to remove Shen'dralar as a requirement while leaving other broken reps there.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Vulpix: It's reasonable to assume that the only relevant rep being broken in Cataclysm is Shen'dralar. It would be very silly to nerf the feat to remove Shen'dralar as a requirement while leaving other broken reps there.

Blizzard has taught me to never assume anything. A lesson I frequently forget, or I wouldn't be short the 30k I shelled for Shen'dralar this week.

I've also heard that Knot is being removed, I'd like to know if they're changing that in light of the ability to farm BSB to exalted.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This is really, really silly. Shen'dralar was the most time-consuming and difficult part of this achievement.

It so is not, in fact so far it's been not only the easiest but the most enjoyable. Boxes are going to be a pain, Bloodsail was ok, Goblins weren't, and Darkmoon... not only is Darkmoon so much more expensive than Shen'dralar that I can't even begin to calculate it, but the spastic turn-in schedule, in addition to the complete random factor and the sheer number of herbs needed for inks needed for cards needed for decks is quite literally, insane.

First off, I enjoyed the achievement. In fact, once I finished I was at a loss for what I should do next because I'd been working so often on my Insane grind. I can't imagine why anyone would take on this grind if they weren't going to enjoy it.

Lockboxes are either a flat monetary fee or a handful of hours pickpocketing yourself. I blazed through boxes. Bloodsail is simple. Goblins are repetitive, but not difficult. Running around 1 shotting level 10-40 mobs is quite easy. Darkmoon can be time consuming, but if you found DMF to be MORE expensive than Shen'dralar, you probably did it wrong. It was DMF that made me the gold I needed to do the rest of the grind. I made huge amounts of gold buying up cheap herbs, turning them into decks, and selling the cards. Yes, the overall material list is staggering, but it isn't difficult and you make money doing it. The turn-in schedule is quite uniform in fact... every 4 weeks. I would have had huge stockpiles of decks ready to go whether the Faire was there every single day of the year or not (rather than making a deck, running to turn it in, and working on another), so turning them in once a month works out just fine.

Shen'dralar on the otherhand is, first and foremost, bottlenecked by the requirement of 82 BoE world drops. I've heard costs anywhere from 100g-1000g for each diamond. You've got the easy part which is farming the BoP mats for libram turn-ins. And then running DM over and over killing trash hoping for that 1% drop rate to be in your favor, then running all the way back out of the instance and to the mailbox... then back again. I'm quite sure I spent way more time on Shen'dralar than I did any other rep for the grind. I even bought a guild bank JUST for Shen'dralar (which did turn out useful for DMF too) to carry the UNIQUE librams so I didn't have to scurry off and turn in each one.

So yes, I do feel like they are removing one of the biggest parts of the grind. DMF will be even more lucrative come Cataclysm (between 4.0 and 4.1) with all new decks and many eager buyers.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Oh, I know by the sheer number of herbs I have leftover (and I need to farm inks, I'm not paying 50g per snowfall OR 90g for a stack of adder's tongue OR 50g for stacks of lolmageroyal) that I'll have more than enough to make my money back. Not from the cards, those sell but not "well" by any stretch of the imagination.

There's no doubt in my mind that I'll come out ahead of the money I front for DMF, but it doesn't mean the initial pricetag isn't substantially higher than Shen'dralar, which you generally find mats for on your own.

So far DMF is the only part that feels like a grind to me. The rest still pales in comparison to what I endured getting my THF knife in FFXI.

Edit: clarity
Edited by Vulpix on 11/10/2010 11:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]