Insane no longer requires the Shen'dralar rep

90 Dwarf Paladin
I understand that blizzard needed to take time to consider their options before making any changes/statements, and I'm glad they did take the time to do something. But as someone with the Insane title, I'm very annoyed by the solution they came up with.

In general, I dislike when something in the game is changed to make it easier, or not removed because it's about to be trivialized. But I spent countless hours and so much gold on this title that to remove the most time consuming element from it cheapens it. And that so many more people will choose to get it now that it's easier also cheapens it.
Reply Quote
I think people are overstating how much easier it will be.
To be honest, the achievement was never hard, just long. In terms of gold/time invested, Goblins (since the quest in DM is being taken out) will probably be longer, and you need a lot of cards for Darkmoon.
I won't say I like seeing Shen'dralar go, but it really isn't that bad, it will still be a fairly massive time investment (or gold) for most people.

Plus, Shen'dralar is fairly easy as is if you have some friends who are willing to help you farm the prismatics/librams (Which I myself did for a friend).
Edited by Helikaon on 11/10/2010 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I think people are overstating how much easier it will be.
To be honest, the achievement was never hard, just long. In terms of gold/time invested, Goblins (since the quest in DM is being taken out) will probably be longer, and you need a lot of cards for Darkmoon.
I won't say I like seeing Shen'dralar go, but it really isn't that bad, it will still be a fairly massive time investment (or gold) for most people.

Plus, Shen'dralar is fairly easy as is if you have some friends who are willing to help you farm the prismatics/librams (Which I myself did for a friend).

That's fair, I see your point. It won't be any "easier", just less time consuming. But that's really whole problem. Some people who've gotten the title claim farming mobs for the cartel is a faster way to get the rep, but stick it out in dire maul because of the mats for Shen'dralar.

Plus not everyone has friends that will grind things out for them. I personally had a guild that was urging me on as much as they were mocking me. They gave the odd thing they came across, but there was no chance they would farm for me.

It's a major investment, either from crazy farming, or crazy gold that you spent time getting in other ways.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
When will the Qiraji War take place again so I can hit the gong with my scepter for a sweet black bug?

Do you see my point in that?

There are things that happen in this game for limited duration or are available for limited time. If you missed something in the past, that's too bad. I wish you hadn't, I wish I hadn't. But it's really a letdown when people accomplish something with respectable (for a game that is) worth or value, and it soon thereafter becomes more trivial.

Personally, I've gotten the Insane, and it took me a long, long time. It's a title I actually feel is worthwhile to wear. But there are plenty of things I haven't gotten, that I can never get again. Perhaps not so many "things", since achievements didn't enter the game until 3.0, but experiences.

Do I regret starting to play only shortly before patch 1.8? No.
Have I missed a ton of unique and one-time-only events and raid experiences? Yes.
Should Blizzard go back and undermine the feats of the past to appease the aspirations of the future? No.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Oh, I know by the sheer number of herbs I have leftover (and I need to farm inks, I'm not paying 50g per snowfall OR 90g for a stack of adder's tongue OR 50g for stacks of lolmageroyal) that I'll have more than enough to make my money back. Not from the cards, those sell but not "well" by any stretch of the imagination.
There's no doubt in my mind that I'll come out ahead of the money I front for DMF, but it doesn't mean the initial pricetag isn't substantially higher than Shen'dralar, which you generally find mats for on your own.

Well of course the cards don't sell well at the end of the expansion. They are all but obsolete now. If you were to hold off and create the new decks and sell Cataclysm cards, they would in fact sell VERY well. It's also a terrible time to be buying ink and herbs with all of the changes to the glyph system.

I don't know how you mean that the initial pricetag is high. I don't know how you did your DMF grind, but I sure didn't buy 100,000g worth of herbs all at once and then make it all back selling cards the next day. It took time, but I was making money all along the way. With Shen'dralar, people invest anywhere from 100g to 1000g per Diamond (which are unfarmable obviously) and get zero return from them. Many people stock up on all 82 diamonds and librams, all their BoP farmables, and all 400-500 shards before they start turning them in. The upfront investment can be 10,000g to 100,000g depending on your market. That is pretty substantial.
Edited by Tilgare on 11/10/2010 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
When will the Qiraji War take place again so I can hit the gong with my scepter for a sweet black bug?

Do you see my point in that?

There are things that happen in this game for limited duration or are available for limited time. If you missed something in the past, that's too bad. I wish you hadn't, I wish I hadn't. But it's really a letdown when people accomplish something with respectable (for a game that is) worth or value, and it soon thereafter becomes more trivial.

Personally, I've gotten the Insane, and it took me a long, long time. It's a title I actually feel is worthwhile to wear. But there are plenty of things I haven't gotten, that I can never get again. Perhaps not so many "things", since achievements didn't enter the game until 3.0, but experiences.

Do I regret starting to play only shortly before patch 1.8? No.
Have I missed a ton of unique and one-time-only events and raid experiences? Yes.
Should Blizzard go back and undermine the feats of the past to appease the aspirations of the future? No.

Absolutely, I agree. I narrowly missed out on my Black Proto-Drake. I never got my Hand of A'dal title. I never was fortunate enough to get an Amani War Bear. Do I want those things? Sure, but I don't need them handed to me, I would have been happy to earn them in their time, but they've come and gone and I missed out.

That's not to say I think IitM should be removed. I think that if it remained in its current form (or VERY similar, like moved and renamed NPCs) that would be just fine. It doesn't get much easier with 100 more levels like a timed ZA run or Immortal run would. But THIS, this is not the answer.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
The Insane's difficulty just decreased by a !*%# ton in terms of time investment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]