Help me not hate my hunter?

80 Draenei Shaman
No really..I loved my hunter..right up untill outlands..and I stuck it out..she's 76 now..and I just can't bloody stand her..I have srs considered deleting her. She's currently MM/Surv..because I just giggle too hard at BM hunters. >.>

I need a reason to love my hunter again, so's I can lvl her to 80 for cata, halps?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm not understanding exactly what you are asking for. No one can MAKE you like something that you don't like.
Do you want to hear about how we do competitive dps at 85?
Do you want to hear how much I love MY hunter? That probably won't help you :P
You're likely to get trolled by people saying "just delete it, we suck at pvp, blah blah".
What I'm getting at is, ask specific questions or give us more detail about what you like/don't like right now.
Right now I don't know what to say to persuade you to keep your hunter that you obviously aren't enjoying.
Edited by Mezasu on 11/10/2010 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
Specifically, what aspects of the class are you finding the most offensive? If you loathe your hunter, though, why push to level it? Play something you find enjoyable, imho.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
I used to enjoy my hunter? I didn't like her in outlands because even then as MM I was always pulling off the hunter..but my DPS was super win.

I think a lot of it has to do with the patchyness of it..I'm now 76 and lost and confused I suppose..I don't want to have to go BM and thats what everyone says to do..I like MM it's..pretty and makes me feel like..a sniper! O:
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
It takes too much effort to level as anything but BM imo :P You have to use MD constantly to keep something on your pet. As BM your pet is teh awesome and holds aggro much better....prolly because of the lack of dmg on the hunter's part :D Also, the extra pet talents help a lot. Make sure you're using a bear or some other tank pet. Ferocity pets are ok for questing at 80 because you kill stuff in 2 hits.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Whatever you do, DO NOT delete it. My brother leveled a Warrior from 1-55 right when DKs came out, then switched to the new class. He deleted his warrior for some reason and now regrets it.
Reply Quote
It takes too much effort to level as anything but BM imo :P You have to use MD constantly to keep something on your pet. As BM your pet is teh awesome and holds aggro much better....prolly because of the lack of dmg on the hunter's part :D Also, the extra pet talents help a lot. Make sure you're using a bear or some other tank pet. Ferocity pets are ok for questing at 80 because you kill stuff in 2 hits.

That was a while ago, now as a leveling hunter you kill things before your pet ever gets to them, or your pet arrives to deal the last 5%. All specs have more hp for the pet and many of BMs pet oriented talents go to waste since your pet will spend very little time doing anything at all.

The rules have changed, bm has gone from clear leader to dead last, though of course dead last is still pretty fast.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Hunter
My suggestion is go play with another class for a while and come back later. Definitely do not delete it. Level 76 requires a bit of work and you don't want to delete it just because it's bad for a few months. Who knows, wait till June 2011 and hunters might have changed again and you like it.

As for leveling. I leveled as survival since vanilla with a wind serpent. And it was a blast! BM is not mandatory for leveling. If you are soloing, who cares if your shot rotation is right or if you use melee every now and then? It doesn't matter if you're soloing. So from level 1 - 70, do what you want, no one really cares. After that, you can kill anything fast enough anyway so you can still do whatever you want.

just my two cents
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Don't despair you can level just fine as MM or Survival. I have been leveling Survival with no issues on threat. Most the time the mob dies pretty damn fast, but also there are some factors that can cause you to pull threat off the pet easily.

First thing is pet level, is your pet your level? I noticed my self that if a pet was 2-3 levels lower its threat gen was crap compared to mine and I pulled easily even with the first Explosive Shot. If so, run some dungeons to catch your pet up.

2nd your pets spec, try not to put all your points into survivability type talents. You do need a couple of DPS talents for your pet, doing this will greatly increase pet threat. You can actually level with a Ferocity pet with no issues on threat if you have a good balanced spec for damage and survival. This will most apply to Tenacity, give that poor bear or turtle a little better DPS, he will produce some better threat as a result and still be a great elite/multi mob tank.

3rd install omen if you do not have it, then watch threat. On elites specifically this will matter more as its a longer fight. Control your DPS a bit, don't just go nuts on CDs right away. Let your pet get a little lead, then open up with all your CDs. When your threat gets around 110-120% FD. At 130% you pull aggro. Should be fine after your first MD for the rest of the fight.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
No really..I loved my hunter..right up untill outlands..and I stuck it out..she's 76 now..and I just can't bloody stand her..I have srs considered deleting her. She's currently MM/Surv..because I just giggle too hard at BM hunters. >.>

I need a reason to love my hunter again, so's I can lvl her to 80 for cata, halps?

Respec -> BM

You can't hate something you giggle at.
Reply Quote
52 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm only level 46, and right now, it seems like BM is a lot easier to solo in, however Survival (My main and preferred spec) is better for DPS in dungeons and in PvP, though BM is viable in PvP too since everyone ignores the pet.

The only thing that bothers me about Survival soloing is when I can't kill the mobs by the time they've reached me. I hate going into melee.

Hunters are a lot of fun ^_^'. I don't know what kind of DPS they do at 80 in Heroics and such, and I don't know how good they'll be at PvP, or if Marksman will get any better, because right now it sucks, but I find the class a lot of fun, so I really don't care.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid

If you are given to fits of giggling at BM Hunters, I suggest you never should have chosen the Hunter class to begin with. I'd suggest Warlock, but I don't really think you want a pet at all. Mage, perhaps, all the ranged blasting you can stand with no pets to fuss over. Yeah, I think that's the ticket, Mage. Give Mage a shot.

But yeah, don't delete the toon until you've run out of slots and are absolutely certain you'll never, ever play her again 5 years from now.

Really, just, take a break. Works wonders for me.

;)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Create a deathknight and play through the 55-58 story line. Then go enjoy dominating PvP til you hit 60.

Then jump back on your hunter and you should be right.

ps. Try survival spec.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I used to enjoy my hunter? I didn't like her in outlands because even then as MM I was always pulling off the hunter..but my DPS was super win.

I think a lot of it has to do with the patchyness of it..I'm now 76 and lost and confused I suppose..I don't want to have to go BM and thats what everyone says to do..I like MM it's..pretty and makes me feel like..a sniper! O:

I leveled my Orc hunter to 80 MM (this one from 70 to 80 MM at the beginning of WotLK). Once you get Misdirect you can level any spec you like without aggro worries and even before then, only the careless lose aggro on their pets long enough to matter. Always send pet, wait a second, then unload. With MD, cast MD on pet...then unload, no waiting required. You should expect the pet to lose aggro with ~20% health remaining on the mob. If you're at range...it should die at your feet. No running to a mob to loot FTW.

The problems arise when you're dealing with multiple mobs. For that...always have a tenacity pet (bears and turtles are nice with damage redux and armor buff respectively) with thunderstomp and only target the target your pet is fighting (unless you plan to ice block a mob.) Never melee a mob unless it's absolutely the last available option (I hate seeing leveling Hunters running up and meleeing mobs.) Feign death when necessary and reapply misdirect with the glyph as often as you need.

Of all the classes I've played hunters were the easiest to level.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
Whatever you do, DO NOT delete it. My brother leveled a Warrior from 1-55 right when DKs came out, then switched to the new class. He deleted his warrior for some reason and now regrets it.

Also, I once got so frustrated with my hunter he spent six months drowning in lava in Blackrock Mountain.

While soloing, I use this macro A LOT.

/cast [target=pet] Misdirection

In addition, the new Glyph of Misdirection resets the spell's cooldown if you cast it on your pet, so you can technically have it directing your threat back to your pet quite a lot.

Lastly, I stronly prefer soloing and questing in BM with my Devilsaur, and doing heroics in Marksman with my raptor.

I use a similar macro in instances:

/cast [target=focus] Misdirection and just focus the tank.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter

Also, I once got so frustrated with my hunter he spent six months drowning in lava in Blackrock Mountain.

While soloing, I use this macro A LOT.

/cast [target=pet] Misdirection

In addition, the new Glyph of Misdirection resets the spell's cooldown if you cast it on your pet, so you can technically have it directing your threat back to your pet quite a lot.

Lastly, I stronly prefer soloing and questing in BM with my Devilsaur, and doing heroics in Marksman with my raptor.

I use a similar macro in instances:

/cast [target=focus] Misdirection and just focus the tank.

Heyyyyy I like that your name ends in punch!! :D
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
Ty guys..lotsa sound advice..aside from the 'roll a mage'..I already have one of those, she's 80, and I feel very meh! towards her.

I think..I'mma toy around with my surv spec this weekend and see if I like it any better then MM right now.

Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Funny, my hunter is 76 as well. I tried him out post patch and just felt mehhh. I figured I'll find myself an awesome pet, level up his professions a bit, and maybe race change to get my interest back. Worgen hunter.... yes please!
Edited by Malstrøm on 11/12/2010 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]