How work Draconic family lines ?

85 Night Elf Druid
(Please don't make this topic devolve into a nightmare enducing talk about dragon sex.....please)
As Deathwing come, it would be important to try to see how exactly Draconic ''family'' (or flights) work.
-First hand, a comparison with a Human concept is a bit inadequate, as it appears that Dragons females can lay hundred upon hundred of eggs. (As proven by Onyxia, oh boy). The love of Drakes for this vary greatly : Alexstraza really love each her of children, Onyxya and Deathwing consider them as cannon fodder. Apparently, the prime desire of an Aspect (or at least one desire) is to keep his brood alive. To a large degree, Deathwing schemes between the War of the Ancients and Cataclysm boils down to stealing eggs of the others flights to try to keep the numbers of his flight up. (including reducing the Red queen to a quite disgusting form of slavery in the process)
-What complicate a bit the matter is the issue that the info available on flights is a bit limited. We know that two flights have female leaders (Green and Reds). Three others have male leads (Blue, Bronze, Black). However, the only real info is about Reds, Blacks, and Blues. Still, what remans is that of the flights we know stuff about, one is based on polyandry (Red), two on polygamy, two widely different systems.
-Both on the polygamy and polyandry system, however, the Aspect have for partners Drakes from a limited pool, the consorts. Do you become a consort because the Queen find your back scales attractive ? Or is this because you are a special kind of drake ? It's worth nothing that Alexstaza ''prime consorts' (uh, favorite ?) in Day of the Dragon was mentionned to be her FIRST consort. Maybe the requirement for being a consort is to be one of the original members of the flight ? (However, that's probably not just it-Drakes obviously age and die, and Alexstraza have younger consorts). However, what is clear is that either there are far less female dragons than males, or that not any kind of female will do, because Deathwing completely lacks any mate ATM. (In one of those ''too much information moment'' that we have sometimes in WOW books, he was apparently a bit rough on his partners. Rough, insane and in flames)
Edited by Kûshiel on 11/10/2010 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
It's further complicated by the fact that ''lesser'' drakes can apparently mate themselves, on all flights, but that those eggs apparently does not ''count'' for some reason.

In CATA, for instance, both a Red and a Black female in Badlands have eggs-but those eggs apparently don't cout for replenishing the Black fight power-just for cannon fodder.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Someone said dragon sex.

I'm going to come back and respond seriously to this thread once Im all the way awake and not borderline slaphappy, because... really, when I open a thread with the words Dragon sex and instantly zoom in on the ATM part... I shouldnt be here at this moment.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Considering that the expansion revolve on Deathwing, it's a somewhat important point to try to see how Dragons see their families

For instance, what can make a Drake a consort ? Is this just because the Queen or Deathwing find him/her hot, or does this require something else ? (ie, being a special kind of drake)

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Ok, had some caffine.

Alright. We dont really know if its a special type of dragon to become a consort.

In the case of the Red Dragons, both Krausus and her prime consort were huge. The health, strength, and wisdom may have alot to do with it.

Or, its that she is so big and doesnt like short men. We really dont know.
Reply Quote
55 Tauren Death Knight
I'm mostly interested in the hilarity that is incest and inbreeding among the respective flights.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I think it's implied that most drakes of the normal drake model (IE, like the bronze FM) are very young ones.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm mostly interested in the hilarity that is incest and inbreeding among the respective flights.

Yeah....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Kus, ALL drakes are young ones.

The big full sized dragons are meant to be rare. It was said in War of the Ancients that the drakes are fairly violent, and most get killed or kill each other. The older ones are the dragons. The dragon mounts are rather.. ehh. I dislike them. Dragons are not mindless beasts, even in WoW. Even the young ones.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Shaman
yes, all drakes are "teenage" dragons. alexstasza's consorts are full grown dragons, and so are the other consorts we've seen.

but i too am interested in this, especially from a biological/behavorial/cultral standpoint. does only the prime consort fertilize the eggs (or get to lay them) and the rest exist solely for fun? is it simply a matter of "you're my favorite" and all the consorts get to be parents? is there true polyamory here or is breeding not necessarily tied to romance in dragon culture? (i would say the former, since krasus was alex's mate when tyrannistrasz was still alive, and she obviously loves krasus, but there are so many variables to consider!)

also ib4 heyman
Edited by Nimbosa on 11/10/2010 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Kus, ALL drakes are young ones.

The big full sized dragons are meant to be rare. It was said in War of the Ancients that the drakes are fairly violent, and most get killed or kill each other. The older ones are the dragons. The dragon mounts are rather.. ehh. I dislike them. Dragons are not mindless beasts, even in WoW. Even the young ones.

The explanation given in, I think, the netherwing questline is that these drakes are, as you said, the equivalent of dragon teenagers. They, as such, want to go see the world and have their own adventures. They're not your "pets" or "slaves", but partners.

At least, that applies to most "friendly" dragons. I've got nothin' for blue and black drakes.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Shaman
DID SOMEONE SAY DRAGON SEX?!?!!?!!

YES. YES SOMEONE DID.

something i have been wondering: do dragons ever get it on in mortal form? this is an important question and its answer is highly relevant to my interests.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

YES. YES SOMEONE DID.

something i have been wondering: do dragons ever get it on in mortal form? this is an important question and its answer is highly relevant to my interests.

How else do they pay their goblin debts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior

YES. YES SOMEONE DID.

Deathwing had to pay for all that new armor somehow, right?
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
It's good fun every once in a while... but derailing someone's thread for the lulz...
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
It's good fun every once in a while... but derailing someone's thread for the lulz...

is being a jerk.
fix't.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]