Dead Characters - Used Well

100 Human Paladin
Of the characters who have died in WoW, which do you feel were used best? Which ones received an appropriate amount of screentime? Which ones had the most satisfying endings to their stories?
Reply Quote
King Terenas stopped his son, and helped save the world WHILE DEAD.

I'd call that a 'Dead Character used Well.'
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
I thought Arthas was given a fitting end, overall. My only gripe was more the expansion in general, I never got a feeling that we were fighting to save the world. I don’t know; the war with the Scourge just never felt as dire as I feel like it should have. That said; I feel like Arthas’s story ran its course quite well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I thought Arthas was given a fitting end, overall. My only gripe was more the expansion in general, I never got a feeling that we were fighting to save the world. I don’t know; the war with the Scourge just never felt as dire as I feel like it should have. That said; I feel like Arthas’s story ran its course quite well.

I think the problem was the whole "toying with us" motif. It seemed childish and felt like I was facing Dr. Evil as opposed to a truly evil, merciless bastard who wants to see the world remade into undeath.

That being said, I do agree Arthas was used well.

I'll also add C'thun, even though he isn't truly dead.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
If we're talking all of Warcraft lore, it's hard to top Anduin Lothar's and Grom Hellscream's respective deaths.

In-game though, I'll have to say Arthas was the best used.
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
In WoW? Arthas, out of the sea of lore characters that has been killed off, was the only one done even remotely well. That is because they actually gave him a cutscene and story around his death whereas the others you go in and kill them with no supplemental story bits aside from some quest text.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
If we're talking all of Warcraft lore, it's hard to top Anduin Lothar's and Grom Hellscream's respective deaths.

In-game though, I'll have to say Arthas was the best used.
This.
Reply Quote
I was expecting Heyman to say "Sylvanas" for some reason.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I think Arthas had the best death by far. He was defeated in a fitting way (with the destruction of the weapon that damned him in the first place), and when it happened we got both a scripted event and a cutscene. In some cases we also got comments from other characters.

Tirion struck the winning blow (as was appropriate for being Arthas' main opponent throughout the expansion), but we also got to hear from Terenas, Uther, Jaina, Muradin, and Sylvanas, which gave closure to several storylines from Warcraft III.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Lothar and Grom, because they are two examples of characters who know how to stay dead.

edit: Not that Grom Hellscream <Vanguard of the Ebon Blade> wouldn't be skull-freaking amazing.
Edited by Draile on 11/10/2010 2:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
edit: Not that Grom Hellscream <Vanguard of the Ebon Blade> wouldn't be skull-freaking amazing.

I wouldn't want to be within a square mile of the person foolish enough to raise Grom......

The man had to go through quite a bit to finally earn his peace.......
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid

I wouldn't want to be within a square mile of the person foolish enough to raise Grom......

The man had to go through quite a bit to finally earn his peace.......

I think it would actually be pretty cool. He would probably try and hide his existence from Garrosh, to not step on his toes. A Horde member of the Ebon Blade would probably try and catch Grom up on what's happening.

Then we would have the side of Grom seen only at his calmest in WC3 and Lord of the Clans: the wise, at ease warrior that greeted Thrall in Silverpine when they first met.

It would also be an interesting inversion of his character. Hellscream is supposed to be rage incarnate; but Death Knights are very, very cold...yet still full of rage. I think it would be a great way to bring his character back and move it forward, if Blizzard wanted to.

Only I don't think, with the way things currently are, Grom would really fit anywhere. He would obviously have loyalty to the Horde, though. Which means the Alliance would need it's equivalent to him. Which would kind of suck, because then they would just be stepping on Koltira and Thassarian(sp?)'s toes.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Warlock
I thought Lothar was used pretty well when he was getting his head bashed in by Doomhammer.

Hey-O!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
i think you mean lothar getting ambushed and still almost owning doomhammer
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
i think you mean lothar getting ambushed and still almost owning doomhammer

That was ret-conned. The official lore now is that it was a fair 1-1 fight.
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Death Knight
The fact they retconned that from an unfair fight to a 1-1 encounter, seems pretty stupid to me. I guess their just trying to make the Horde seem more "honorable" and make the Alliance seem weak, imo.
Edited by Moncalamari on 11/10/2010 7:16 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]