Blanket AoE Heal Nerf?

85 Blood Elf Paladin
There is a new build announced by WoWHead. It looks like the blanket aoe heals (holy radiance, healing rains, holy word: sanctuary) have been nerfed to diminish when more than 6 players are standing in them...

I guess I understand given their power but doesn't this kind of take away what is unique about these spells?

I wonder if it will actually be detrimental to hit many people with the spells now. Will we have to tell people to get out of the healing circle on the ground if too many group up in one? Are people who are at full health while standing in a holy radiance going to weaken it for the people who do need it? It really seems like it makes these spells a lot more difficult to use, especially given their cost but maybe I'm missing something.
Edited by Wasselin on 11/9/2010 8:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
81 Night Elf Death Knight
These were needed, because as it stands you didn't need to cast anything but AoE heals. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the problem of classes like Enhancement Shamans, Elemental Shamans, Protect Paladins and Retribution Paladins still providing significant raid healing while bringing other uses.

Blizzard needs to address this.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
The Disc Priest changes, if they're accurate, make me a very happy panda.

it's a HUGE buff to Prayer of Healing. PoH not only saw a throughput increase, but it ALSO procs Divine Aegis on EVERY target! Wooot!!!!

PW:Barrier reduces ALL incoming damage by 30% for 10 seconds! Yeah baby!

And just for good measure, Grace was DOUBLED!

Time to do the happy dance :)
Edited by Fatherfranz on 11/9/2010 9:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Looking through some of the things for general and for paladin, I'm not seeing much that's different between the current beta build and this supposed new one. Is Wowhead just behind? Most of this had already been applied last beta build.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The radius on Holy Radiance was nerfed to 8 yards for maximum effectiveness, that was the biggest thing. I guess they felt Paladin's were nerfed sufficiently with the previous nerf to Light of Dawn and Holy Radiance.

Druids took the hit to Rejuvenating costing 30% more mana and Efflorescence being cut in half.

This is, of course on top of Holy Radiance, Efflorescence and Sanctuary having their maximum-effectiveness capped at 6.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The radius on Holy Radiance was nerfed to 8 yards for maximum effectiveness, that was the biggest thing. I guess they felt Paladin's were nerfed sufficiently with the previous nerf to Light of Dawn and Holy Radiance.

Druids took the hit to Rejuvenating costing 30% more mana and Efflorescence being cut in half.

This is, of course on top of Holy Radiance, Efflorescence and Sanctuary having their maximum-effectiveness capped at 6.

Holy Radiance is already 8 yards maximum effectiveness on beta right now, and already starts dropping off after 6 targets. Perhaps this next build is just tooltip changes? Light of Dawn wasn't nerfed last patch, it was buffed into a smart heal, and its tooltip already says what Wowhead suggests it's being changed to next build.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

it's a HUGE buff to Prayer of Healing. PoH not only saw a throughput increase, but it ALSO procs Divine Aegis on EVERY target! Wooot!!!!

Despite my own nerfs, I think Disc priests needed this.

Do my tears taste like gravy, Franz? :) :) :)

/only joking :)

GO DISC! :)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

Holy Radiance is already 8 yards maximum effectiveness on beta right now, and already starts dropping off after 6 targets. Perhaps this next build is just tooltip changes? Light of Dawn wasn't nerfed last patch, it was buffed into a smart heal, and its tooltip already says what Wowhead suggests it's being changed to next build.

HR was nerfed to have a sliding scale of reduced healing depending on the distance of the target from the casting paladin. There was never a reduction in healing power tied to # of targets.

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Did Efflo really need to be chopped in half along with adding a cap? That seems like a massive massive nerf to our already pathetic AOE healing tools.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest

Despite my own nerfs, I think Disc priests needed this.

Do my tears taste like gravy, Franz? :) :) :)

/only joking :)

GO DISC! :)

Mmmmmm.....delicious nerf tears.

Tastes like....justice ;)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Blanket AoE heals were far too prominent and important. Also, this change went in last build - it's just a tooltip update now.

It's not fun to have 90% of your healing not matter because blanket AoE heals do all the work.

Blanket AoE heals made Cata raids feel very similar to WotLK raids, and considering that it's only the first tier of content, that's bad.

I just wish that they didn't heal pets. Only complaint.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Kinda glad they nerfed it sooner rather than later, if nothing else. Hold onto your Glowing Twilight Scales just in case ;)
Edited by Niraada on 11/10/2010 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Did Efflo really need to be chopped in half along with adding a cap? That seems like a massive massive nerf to our already pathetic AOE healing tools.

I may be wrong but I believe that Efflorecence was cut in half to bring it in line with the other heals like it. Also, both Efflorecence and Sanctuary got a cap slapped on them and I'm ok with that because they were too powerful.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
So is Holy Radiance going to get rid of the "drop off" since it is now capped at 6?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest

I may be wrong but I believe that Efflorecence was cut in half to bring it in line with the other heals like it. Also, both Efflorecence and Sanctuary got a cap slapped on them and I'm ok with that because they were too powerful.

Fine - they were too powerful. Efflo then needs to have it's talent point cost adjusted if it is going to be "in line" with the other heals.
Not to mention - it was already ticking for a very little amount - it is even going to be USEFUL healing with even smaller ticks? Might have looked good on meters but if health bars aren't even going to budge when you cast it what is the point of casting it?
Edited by Nazlia on 11/10/2010 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
Holy word sanctuary currently ticks for around half of efflo, and sanctuary costs absolute truckloads of mana to drop. Swiftmend is very cheap.

My problem with the changes :

Grace is still single target. 4% more single target healing is nothing compared to disc doing 15 - 25% less single target healing than any other spec.

Prayer of healing is still a bad group heal. It costs extreme amounts of mana, heals only 1 group, and has no synergy with the rest of disc. All divine aegis says now is prayer of healing is 30% stronger all the time now as disc rather than 25% of the time.

But it dosent change how the spell is fundamentally useless in most raid situations. Too much mana cost and too few useful heals out of it.

And I dont like the power word barrier change. Its just AOE pain supression now on the same cooldown. Could they please drop the pain supression cd?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Holy word sanctuary currently ticks for around half of efflo, and sanctuary costs absolute truckloads of mana to drop. Swiftmend is very cheap.

My problem with the changes :

Grace is still single target. 4% more single target healing is nothing compared to disc doing 15 - 25% less single target healing than any other spec.

It's not exactly 4% more healing. If you stack that 3 times, it's more like 12% more healing. And from the data I've gathered from the beta, Disc heals were closer to maybe 10% less throughput than say, a holy paladin. The throughput boost turns out to be a pretty hefty one. And that's not taking into account Divine Aegis.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest

Fine - they were too powerful. Efflo then needs to have it's talent point cost adjusted if it is going to be "in line" with the other heals.
Not to mention - it was already ticking for a very little amount - it is even going to be USEFUL healing with even smaller ticks? Might have looked good on meters but if health bars aren't even going to budge when you cast it what is the point of casting it?

And how much mana does it cost compared to other healers? Holy priests are even locked out of theirs unless they're in the right chakra to use it.

It costs 10% Base Mana to Cast Swiftmend, but it requires a Rejuv or Regrowth hot to be on the target to even be able to use SM which cost 26% or 35% base mana respectively - so they aren't that far off on mana cost from the other spells.

The number of people it can heal cap is necessary - a 50% hit to it's effectiveness as well seems like overkill. The talent points required for it are also wrong. We shouldn't need to take a Direct Heal talent to get an AOE heal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]