BEWARE OF KEYLOGGERS! Don't follow that link!

(Sticky)

12/05/2010 9:31 AMPosted by Freyiá
Today we got an in-game whisper from Blizzard(with funny symbols above the letter) saying that due to complaints from other players, we had one hour to validate our information at a web address other than wow before the account is closed.
The help section( red question mark in-game) says all messages will have the blue blizzard symbol by the name.

This is true. Plus, not only will an official blizzard employee have a special "Blizz" icon next to their name when they send you a message in game, but their message will be sent in blue text (Not a whisper). Furthermore, as I recall, they may also have a special chat window that pops up on your screen specifically for your conversation, that is separate from the normal chat windows.

edit: In other words, it is extremely obvious when an official Blizzard employee is trying to contact you in game. There is no question about it, and it won't happen in a random whisper from someone with funky characters in their name.

Thank you for bringing that up.
Edited by Baloo on 12/6/2010 10:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've heard people say that just by /r'ing to the fake "Blizzard" people in game your account can be hacked, I am not sure weather or not this is true, I would imagine it is not but does anyone else have more knowlage about this than me?
Reply Quote
I too have heard that rumor

While it is theoretically possible, it is highly unlikely that these people have the resources and tools to pull off something that complex. Not to mention, with the amount of time they would have to put into such a task, it wouldn't be worth the effort for them to do so. They would have to be after something much more valuable than stealing someones WoW account for it to be worth while.

Now, that doesn't mean that you should go replying to all of them that whisper you, as this will most likely give them incentive to continue contacting you in the future. It's much better to simply ignore them and move on.

All that said, (depending on my mood) I have actually replied to a couple of them with a statement something like this:

"Selling WoW Gold is illegal and against the Terms of Use and Terms of Service. It is also grounds for a permanent account ban. You have been reported for spamming and attempting to sell stolen virtual goods illegally."

That shuts them up REAL quick.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I use Firefox Mozilla...there's three addons they have that I like too use...

KeyScambler Personal - <Anti-Key logger software that scrambles your keystrokes with encryptions> http://www.qfxsoftware.com/

WOT(Web of Trust) - <Tells you what websites are safe and what aren't blocking out anything harmful too your PC> http://www.mywot.com/

Ghostery - <An addon that blocks web trackers from tracking your locations through the web, sending you spam emails> http://www.ghostery.com/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
l
Edited by Aristy on 12/28/2010 8:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
If you look in the header information of the email you can find who is actually sending the email...or at least who they are using as their client. Then you can go to that site and submit a complaint against them. I have the email address of one such person who was using Yahoo! to send out these emails. I went onto Yahoo! Security and submitted them for phishing. I have been contemplating signing the email address up for all sorts of newsletters just to fill up their inbox so Yahoo! shuts them down.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I received a whisper last night, telling me in very bad English that I needed to check a website because of complaints about my violating the virtual currency policy. Took a screenshot and moved on. Is there something I should do with the screenshot ?

B.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
01/13/2011 3:35 PMPosted by Baltin
I received a whisper last night, telling me in very bad English that I needed to check a website because of complaints about my violating the virtual currency policy. Took a screenshot and moved on. Is there something I should do with the screenshot ?

B.

Screenshots aren't necessary; Blizzard does not use them when investigating. They have chat logs they can check to see what was said. Just report the whisper by right-clicking that person's name and choosing Report Spam.
Reply Quote
01/13/2011 3:35 PMPosted by Baltin

B.

Basically there's two ways to handle it. First way is just as Cerylia described, which will also automatically put that person on ignore, so they cannot whisper you again.

The second way is to use the Red question mark at the bottom of the screen and you can open a ticket for harrassment or Spamming. If you choose this method, it's best to include a short description of what was said, the Time it happened (Server time), what server it happened on, and the name of the offending character. From there Blizzard will take appropriate action, and they may choose to send you a letter acknowledging the receipt of your ticket....but not always.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Damn, bro, type enough lol
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Got this email on the 15th, saw it today...is this legit, anyone know? The website it takes me to is the battle.net but the form it's saying to fill out to confirm isn't there...

"WoWAccountReviewEU@blizzard.com" <WoWAccountReviewEU@blizzard.com>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings,

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal World of Warcraft account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with:
http://us.battle.bz/login/en/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fus.battle.net%2Faccount%2Fmanagement%2Findex.xml&app=bam&cr=true

Login to your account, In accordance following template to verify your account.

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

Blizzard Entertainment SAS
TSA 60 001
Service Administration des Comptes
78143 Velizy Villacoublay Cedex

If you wish to review our current Rules and Policies for World of Warcraft and Battle.net, they can be found at:
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/policy/
http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/about/termsofuse.html

Regards,

Game Master Dunarthra
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=35726

Please retain all history if you reply to this mail
Reply Quote
01/20/2011 11:29 AMPosted by Amarei
If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

No, this is NOT a legit email. The part I quoted is the tell-tale sign. Blizzard has stated several times that they do not make blatant "threats" to close someone's account. They also will not require you to "Log in and immediately verify your account ownership."

In reality, if there is an issue with your account or billing like this, Blizzard will just ban your account, and if you want to get it fixed you will need to contact their Customer Service people which will kick off an investigation on the activities in question with your account.

Emails like this are used as a "Scare tactic" by gold sellers and scammers to try and get you to "willingly" give them your account information so they can change your password and prevent you from logging into your account any further. Blizzard doesn't use scare tactics, they will hit you with a ban hammer first and ask questions later.

Also, you said you went to the website that was linked in the email. You should immediately scan your computer for any trojan programs, Virus's, keyloggers or any other malicious software. These websites are designed to look like a blizzard site so you don't hesitate to give up your personal account info. Chances are highly likely that you could have gotten a virus or keylogger just by simply visiting that website.

That said, DO NOT log into WoW or any other sensitive or personal accounts until you are positive that your computer is clean and didn't pick something up from that website.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I appreciate the response. I have run 2 different scans to check for viruses and keyloggers and have yet to find anything. I have let blizzard know about the email and hope that this issue goes away soon. It's rather annoying.
Reply Quote
01/20/2011 8:37 PMPosted by Amarei
I appreciate the response. I have run 2 different scans to check for viruses and keyloggers and have yet to find anything. I have let blizzard know about the email and hope that this issue goes away soon. It's rather annoying.

Well done, I'm happy to hear your computer is still clean. Be careful out there! The more of these types of things that get reported the better Blizzard will be able to foil these types of scams.
Reply Quote
27 Troll Druid
I recieved a whisper from "Blizzurd" saying a severe violation was found in my game account . It then instructed me to go to [removed] and enter my acct info and pending review, my account would be permanently banned. BEWARE of this people! I reprted it as spam so hopefully Blizzard will look into it.
Edited by Aldrexus on 1/24/2011 9:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I recieved a whisper from "Blizzurd" saying a severe violation was found in my game account . It then instructed me to go to (removed) and enter my acct info and pending review, my account would be permanently banned. BEWARE of this people! I reprted it as spam so hopefully Blizzard will look into it.

Remove that website from your post immediately. It's against the rules to post bad links on the forums, even if you're just trying to warn people, as you might inadvertently get curious individuals compromised from visiting the website. :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Just to add to the list of no-no links, because I didn't see these in your post, worldofworceaft notice the spelling towards the end, WORCEAFT, not to difficult to find, and then there's this one warldofwarcraft this guy spelt WARLD.
I recieved these in e-mails from supposed Blizzard employes. My advice is If you get an e-mail about account trading/selling, spend a few minutes looking at the web adress, you will most likely find an error in there somewhere. Hope this post can protect someone, because there is nothing worse than getting your computer hacked, I know from experience.
Edited by Arynu on 1/25/2011 4:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
Arynu, Please edit your post immediately and do not post active links (I thought Blizzard deactivated live links!? WTH?) to known bad websites on the forums. This will only perpetuate the problem, and will likely get your post deleted all together.

p.s. It appears that someone has already reported your post, actually.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I do appologize for that, it was not my intent to post active links, I am new to posting on forums and thought other steps were required for posting links. I am very sorry for that and will be much more careful in the future.
Reply Quote
01/25/2011 5:01 PMPosted by Arynu
I do appologize for that, it was not my intent to post active links, I am new to posting on forums and thought other steps were required for posting links. I am very sorry for that and will be much more careful in the future.

That's quite alright, you didn't know, and you edited your post, so no worries. :-)

Blizzard removed the ability to post live links on the forums specifically for that reason....so I honestly am not quite sure how you were able to post one in the first place, unless they changed that again. (?)

I'll add those sites to the list, thank you for bringing them up. :-)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]