BEWARE OF KEYLOGGERS! Don't follow that link!

(Sticky)

13 Blood Elf Warlock
11/10/2010 10:48 AMPosted by Baloo
The World of Warcraft forums are a good place to come if you need information about your class, spec, profession or just have questions about the game in general. Unfortunately, a long with the good information that can be found here, there are also "people" who post links to websites that may imitate a legitimate WoW related website, but actually have a hidden program that gets installed on your computer in the background, without your knowledge.

It cannot be installed, it can only be downloaded.

BTW, good thread
Reply Quote
11 Blood Elf Warrior
WoW thank you
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I miss those days of "Naked woman caught by satellite".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/06/2012 06:35 AMPosted by Breadstick
I miss those days of "Naked woman caught by satellite".

Sex leg.
Reply Quote
Sticky x11
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
11/24/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Alkazi
Sticky x11

This already IS a sticky.

These threads are going to be on top of the forum until Blizz decides to re-do the website again (ie. possibly forever), so they'll be accumulating additional questions & answers for many years.

Given that threads have a limited number of possible posts (25 pages worth plus 1 post), please refrain from making unnecessary and pointless posts in the sticky threads so we can extend their potential feedback & Q&A usefulness as long as possible.
Reply Quote
20 Tauren Shaman
Sticky x12
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
unfortunately virus scanners are not a total solution today. There are plenty of teq that malware can use to avoid detection. A good under the hood process explorer and familiarity to you os environment will go a long way in detecting abnormal behavior, ie virus's. I use procex and procmon from sysinternals. Plus alot of malware will hid in your auto run location and msconfig isnt complete in listing all autorun locations. Again i use autoruns from sysinternals. ANother trick is to loaunch a command prompt and type netstat -ano after closing any apps that use a network connection. Any ESTABLISHED connection could be a sign of a virus phoning home. The point is most malware is tested before release to see if VS"S pick it up. SO i know its hard and complicated but learn how to manually "scan" your system and some of the common tactics malware uses will go a long way in trouble shooting compromises.
Nothing beats a paranoid fire wall!!! I would rather be prompted a 100 times to alow safe processes than have some rouge program bust my machine without me knowing it.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Rogue
I've also heard that links are being posted in the Calendar, trying to make it look as if your guild has a pending invite.
I've gotten 2 of these on 2 of my toons and deleted both of them without going to the link.

Also, is the site Curse.com okay? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
've also heard that links are being posted in the Calendar, trying to make it look as if your guild has a pending invite.
I've gotten 2 of these on 2 of my toons and deleted both of them without going to the link.

I got one of these the other day, randomly was invited to an event with the description that read like the typical trade chat gold-seller spam. I found out that if you right click on the event in the calendar you'll have a "report" option like those for chat-box messages.

Also, is the site Curse.com okay? Anyone know?

curse.com is still fine and dandy.
Reply Quote
Wow, on Sunday, while I was playing, some idiot named himself Blizzard admin, and had his own clan caleed Blizzard, and he said that he'll disable my account if i dont provide him with details, I reported him (for name, considering he wasn't an admin, and lied) and there should be a report for moderator or admin impersonation! Lets see what Blizzard does about this. Thank god for previous Mod trainings i had in other games i was a mod, or if i was someone else who lacked common sense, I would've provided him with my acc details.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Well thank goodness i didnt go to his website..... as soon as i saw "suspend" i got off and started searching for answers ty :)

P.S. his name was Blizzir i think
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
and also btw i told him i would report him for notifying false info cause i was suspicous before i logged off and when i tried to.... it said player not currently playing
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
and when i tried to.... it said player not currently playing

Yup, and that character will probably never be used again. It will be deleted and a new one will be created called something like "Blizzaaar" for a single use mass-spamming session. Rinse, repeat.
Reply Quote
25 Worgen Warrior
That.... really helped man
Reply Quote
71 Worgen Druid
P.S. All:
I learned something new, if you actually PM the person back saying "Can you guide me through the steps" they actually reply back with extra information, and I say, that would be the perfect time to actually report them, and/or go straight to sumbit a ticket and request a GM on live chat, and that who knows what can happen :3
Reply Quote
20 Orc Warrior
4 years later, and still replies.........
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]