Help? D:

90 Blood Elf Priest
I feel like when compared to the other healers in my guild I am doing very, very poorly. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Earlier in LFR I tried a new talent build and it seemed to help but I still feel like I could do better.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/221825/

These are my guild's logs for this week. Don't bother looking at Thursday as I was absent that day.

Really any tips would be appreciated. I don't mind some constructive criticism.

Edit: Would I do better as Disc? A lot of people say holy is better, and then there are the people that would go to the grave as disc. So. I don't know what to think.
Edited by Vethelan on 10/4/2013 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
welll looking ur other other healers they have way better gear then you and have the meta/cloak which you dont

i would say its your gear but thats me
Edited by Nillie on 10/4/2013 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm not a 25man Holy expert yet (just picked up Holy spec last lockout, for Malkorok, for the first time since I ran it for a couple of months in early Cata), but one thing I can say is that you should switch Halo out for Divine Star on some fights - especially on Galakras, and potentially for Norushen depending how well your raid can run *as a group* and meet up at a designated stack point during the cutter beam. I even run Divine Star for Sha of Pride, though that one's debatable due to the biggest clutch healing moments happening when people have to be spread out over a third of the room.

Galakras, though... especially on 25man... it's just nom nom nom nom for Divine Star. Yeah, Halo will catch any outliers when people are dancing around due to Fire Arrows or whatever, but I don't think that benefit overtakes what Divine Star does when healing matters most - the lineup for Firey Orb whatever it's called phase.

I'll leave the actual analysis to the real Holy experts here, who will be along soon, I'd imagine :D

GL!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I switched to divine star! It's actually really awesome and more mana efficient from what I've seen.

As far as the gearing goes.. yeah, it could be a lot better. Should I reforge things differently or get different gems? I don't really think I need haste because in 25M I don't really use renew all that much for raid healing.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Hello there fellow MG Priest!

First of all, Nillie has a great point. You are going to be fighting against some gear issues at this point, and that's to be expected. Without the meta, you need more spirit which is more stats you could have used elsewhere. Without the cloak, which is extremely useful for Holy, you're missing out on a lot of "free" healing.

Immerseus:

Flash heal was your top heal his fight, and this is a bit interesting. Was it that you were healing the puddles this way? Don't get me wrong-- FDCL is a great talent for this fight, however it might be more efficient to weave a glyphed binding heal in (I found this to be extremely useful on this fight). Also, Halo seemed like it didn't do a lot of healing. I found that Halo was best used either right as the healing puddles came out (at max range it heals 2-4 around me to nearly full) or right after he goes down again when you get raidwide damage-- you can't do both because of halo's CD. If you find the raid needs a lot of healing both those times, Cascade is also a VERY solid choice.

Fallen Protectors:

Here you chose Halo. I found that DS was a better choice because the most healing intensive phase is when you're stacked inside the bubble. All priest talents currently have no diminishing returns, so considering this, during that stacked phase DS will hit everyone twice for it's full amount. Your CoH overheal is a bit concerning. Do not use CoH on CD. Look to see if the following conditions are met: Am I moving? Are there people in need of healing in different groups? If yes-- then CoH. If you can stand and cast, or it's not more than 3 seperate groups, sometimes a FH + GH combo, binding heal, or PoH is a better choice. PoH being the most mana/heal if it has the lowest overheal.

Norushen:

Here You also took Halo. We stack and swing around to the stack point whenever we get jostled around (by an add spawning, or by the sweeping beam). DS then does a huge portion of the heavy lifting as far as healing goes. Halo only did 5.2% of your healing, which is fairly pitiful.

Sha of Pride:

Another example of a poor lvl90 talent choice. Remember to change them out on a per fight basis, they should be doing at least 10% of your total healing done on their own. If not, they're likely not the right choice. For most of Sha of Pride, you will be stacked (unless people have swelling pride + more than 25 pride). Divine Star shines here.

Galakras:

Halo here too, and it only did 4.0% of your healing and 80.1% overhealing.

Iron Juggernaut:

Halo was actually the best choice here, IMHO. And see, it did <10% of your healing.

Dark Shamans:

Why are you 7 healing? Well, that's really a guild's choice but 7 healing is a bit excessive. This may happen on other fights too, didn't notice. But overhealing is a sure way to make a holy priest look bad. Everyone else gets to the healing first, generally. Halo only did 1.3% of your healing. We also stack and rotate around the area, DS is a good choice if you do this.

=========

I don't ever seeing you use Void Shift? It's a powerful way to save a tanks life if needed.

Additionally, I never see you use Guardian Spirit. It's worth using if the tank is low on health, than not used at all.

And I don't see you using Inner Fire OR Inner Will. I reccomend Inner Fire-- it's the best choice unless you're partched for mana 24/7 but really even then, Inner Fire scales with Spell Power. The more you have, the better it gets.

And no flask? I could be reading it wrong but... Flask is important. 1000 stat points. I consume Flask of the Warm Sun
------------

You're truly fighting with a combination of factors:

1) Overhealing fights
2) Not enough gear/meta/cloak
3) Not picking the appropriate priest talent for the fight
4) No self buff usage

I switched to divine star! It's actually really awesome and more mana efficient from what I've seen.

As far as the gearing goes.. yeah, it could be a lot better. Should I reforge things differently or get different gems? I don't really think I need haste because in 25M I don't really use renew all that much for raid healing.

I wouldn't worry abotu haste, just aim to pick up a few SPI/Haste pieces as you gear up. Haste isn't as mana efficient, so you're probably in a good place right now since you have no meta. Your gear is going to be changing a LOT as you gear up. Haste isn't something to be avoided, but right now I wouldn't reforge into it by any means. Maybe if you really wanted to, the 3039 but the only really great breakpoint for Holy in 25m is the Lightspring one at 4716. Chasing extra ticks of HW: Sactuary is pointless at this point, it's just not worth it.

If mana doesn't feel like an issue to you, feel free to switch some gems to spi/mastery or spir/int.

I think you'll also find a huge improvement after getting the 2pc and 4pc tier. The bonuses are quite great.
Edited by Naér on 10/4/2013 2:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
<3 Naer :)

... she means your lvl 90 talents should be >10% of your total healing done on every fight, tho. Not trying to nitpick, but just wanted to be sure you weren't confused by the typo.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

... she means your lvl 90 talents should be >10% of your total healing done on every fight, tho. Not trying to nitpick, but just wanted to be sure you weren't confused by the typo.

*turns head sideways*

meh and i'm the physics major. Good thing I'm not an engineer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

*turns head sideways*

meh and i'm the physics major. Good thing I'm not an engineer.

The important thing is that all of the advice in your post is excellent :D

Screw math ;)

<ducks and runs>
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I really do like math but the tiny details were always tough for me because my brain tricks me and tell me it's right! I could look over a tiny error 500X without noticing it.

Not going to be a programmer. Nope.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I actually was using flasks and inner fire the whole time, not sure why world of logs doesn't show that.

So basically, I should use cascade on Immersus, Halo on juggernaught and nazgrim, and divine star for everything else?

Only use CoH when mobile and people in different groups need healing?

And I should glyph binding heal just for immersus or all situations?

How about Prayer of Mending? I usually use that every time it's available. And Heal? I find I don't use that very often unless there's that random person who somehow managed to take a little damage during phases where nobodys really taking any. And even then renew usually takes care of it.

One more thing, speaking of renew, unless I'm tank healing is there really any use for it in 25-man?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
And I should glyph binding heal just for immersus or all situations?

I wouldn't always glyph it. It eats through mana like a no other. But, in situations like Immerseus it's worth it IMHO because it's imperative to the fight mechanic to get them healed up.

It's more institutional than anything.

Only use CoH when mobile and people in different groups need healing?

Yes. In high damage encounters and heroics, you'll probably be using it close to CD. But otherwise, it eats mana and overheals. You can look through the logs and see it's overhealing by quite a bit on some fights. Honestly, you're usage isn't *too* bad, I've seen some people go crazy and hit it on CD all the time. Just be mindful and don't waste it if it's not going to be used to the best of it's ability.

10/04/2013 03:30 PMPosted by Vethelan
How about Prayer of Mending? I usually use that every time it's available. And Heal? I find I don't use that very often unless there's that random person who somehow managed to take a little damage during phases where nobodys really taking any. And even then renew usually takes care of it.

Renew in 25m, to me, is situational. You get your most bang for your buck out of renew in the Serenity Chakra, which in 25m, you're likely not going to be in. It also scales with haste breakpoints so it becomes more or less powerful depending. I personal tend not to use it when I go Holy, as I run very low haste heavy mastery heavy int, so Renew isn't a huge part of my toolkit.

10/04/2013 03:30 PMPosted by Vethelan

PoM is great to use at all times as long as it's bouncing. Configure your healing frames to track it. If it's not bouncing, don't use it. DI procs will auto bounce, but sometimes it's worth it to save the next PoM cast until right before damage is about to go out rather than right away. Just be mindful and use it when it will bounce.

I rarely use heal, I'll use FH because I don't really mind the mana cost. PLus Serendipity can be nice!

As far as flasks/inner fire, I could have just missed it!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Halo is actually not a terrible choice for Galakras in 25 man: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-odjoieex1v5jdriy/sum/healingDone/?s=6777&e=7507

Divine Star is a very sound choice, but the less time you spend in phase 2 (and provided you can position so your Halo hits all groups), the better Halo gets.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Yup, that's why I pointed out the minuscule amount of healing it did.

=)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]