Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
My RL buddy is getting back into wow and starting up a new account. I'm planning on using RAF on him, but we're on different servers. So, i have a few questions:
EDIT: Editing for confusion to clarify that he has friends on a diff server, but is indeed starting a new account.
1. Can I use RAF on someone even if they don't end up choosing my server? Or would RAF not work?
2. If the above is a 'Yes', can we participate in dungeons, battlegrounds, raids, quests, etc. as long as we're in a group because of servers having the Cross Realm ability?
3. Supposing the answer to 1 is a NO and my friend starts up regardless of RAF. Can I still play with him via Cross Realm? Would it again only work if we're grouped?
Thanks in advance!
Edited by Greensleeves on 10/6/2013 6:09 AM PDT
1. You can use RAF on someone that does not end up on your server. You will still get the mount and free month when you qualify.
2. It depends on which types of servers you wind up on. If you are on a PVP server and your friend is on a PVE server you will not be able to play together because there is no cross realm between server types (PVE, PVP, RP, RP_PVP). I am not sure if battle tag invites work across the server types. You'll need to set up battle tags to reliably group with your friend.
3. Playing with your friend depends entirely on the discussion in 2 above. If you're on the same type server you could find yourselves in the same dungeon or area by luck (If you're that lucky, buy a lottery ticket!) but your chances improve with battle tag grouping.
How long ago was your friend playing? If it's before March last year you can use a scroll of resurrection on his old account and maybe get better benefits.
Thanks for the very helpful replies!
In answer to the question my friend stopped playing long ago enough to be eligible for Scroll of Res, but he said that the old account was compromised and/or deleted so he's creating a new account and basically starting from scratch.
It appears that my friend's home server is Khaz'goroth, which is listed to be an Oceanic PVE server. My realm is Spirestone which is a US PVP server. But since it's confirmed to work between server types on battletags that's great news.
In regards to RAF, so I can still get the mount + free month, but what about the exp bonus for my friend? Can he still get it as long as we are grouped?
Also, does Cross Realm restrict us to instanced play? (Dungeons, BG's etc.) or do we sort of phase into one or the others server if we want to quest in a zone, for e.g.?
Edited by Greensleeves on 10/6/2013 11:43 AM PDT
Normally having a friend on a different server is not a problem, as you can use RealID/Battletags to group and do things together.
Unfortunately, because your friend is on an Oceanic server, you will have a problem doing anything that isn't instanced. Due to extreme time zone differences between regular US realms and the Oceanic realms, players cannot coalesce into each other's zones. So if you group together and try to do quests in Northrend or something, you will not be able to see one another. This is to prevent abuse of events that occur at various times, such as holidays, the fishing tournament, etc.
So yes, in the case of you and your friend you would be limited in only being able to do instanced content. Unless of course one of you made an alt on a different server to accommodate.
As far as your question about RAF bonuses, you would not be able to take advantage of the experience bonus outside of doing quests/killing things inside dungeons and the like. This is because in order to get the experience bonus, you have to be grouped AND within 100 yards of one another.
Thanks for the very helpful and precise answer, Cerylia! I'll pass this information on to him and we'll decide what to do. :)
Just wanted to add:
Ah, yes. That too. :)
Edited by Greensleeves on 10/6/2013 1:06 PM PDT
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.