which healer looks best on recount

90 Night Elf Druid
Or the one healing the most undergeared tank, or the group of DPS who most love standing in fire.

If I end up in a group with some healer that loves bragging about meters, I sniff out the three dumbest dps and keep Rejuv rolling on them the entire right. Add in Efflorescence and Ysera's and I can pad the meter over the top of them. It doesn't however "prove" I'm a better healer.

The only HPS meter I'd really be interested in is an AddOn to parse the average healed per cast, excluding certain spells such as raid cooldowns and area heals. Anyone who is getting in clutch heals, dispelling appropriately and not ignoring encounter mechanics is a good healer.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
healing should NOT be a competition it isnt your job to pull number but to keep people alive

if you want to !@#$% meters than go play dps
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What better can a healer do to keep the raid alive, than, you know, pull good numbers?

Bad healers/people who don't understand healing seem to like to hide behind "but the raid is still alive" so they can slack off and pretend they are contributing as much as the other healers in the raid who pick up the slack by maximizing their cast uptimes, rotations, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What better can a healer do to keep the raid alive, than, you know, pull good numbers?

Bad healers/people who don't understand healing seem to like to hide behind "but the raid is still alive" so they can slack off and pretend they are contributing as much as the other healers in the raid who pick up the slack by maximizing their cast uptimes, rotations, etc.

The specifics of an encounter greatly influence the type of healing spells that produces effective healing.

Healers Bob and Bridget do exactly what they should be doing for their class all the time. They're perfect healers and no one ever dies except when necessary.

The first encounter has an effect that lasts the entire fight. It targets a single player and jumps to a new target every 45 seconds. It does 200K total damage per second, shared with all targets within 10 yards of the target. The raid stacks together so the damage spreads evenly and does only minor damage to each individual. Bob has a ground targeted healing zone, healing over time spells and a great multi-target smart heal on a short cooldown. Bob does 30 HPS than more than Bridget and he feels pretty cool because he's King of the Meter.

In the second encounter there's a 9 second debuff that can't be dispelled and gets applied to two players every 30 seconds. The debuff does 90K damage to the target and anyone within 15 yards when it expires. That damage is not shared. When the debuff gets applied, those players run away from the raid. Bridget applies an absorb shield to all players that get the debuff. She skyrockets to 60 HPS more than Bob on that fight. Now she's Queen of the Meter and rubs it in his face because he wouldn't stop bragging about topping the healing meters last fight.

Did Bridget really have to work harder than Bob in order to do that much more healing in the second encounter? Was Bob even working hard in the first encounter?

The meters don't tell the story of what happened. Just because you were the one to get the credit for the effective heal doesn't mean another healer or raid members didn't take action. Often times a classes healing toolkit has a distinct advantage in getting a heal applied first for certain encounters or phases. Sometimes another healer won't take action on purpose because you have the tool to most effectively handle that mechanic and they're conserving their mana for another event.

A good healer is one that exploits their spec strengths and covers the weaknesses of the other healers when possible. The meters will never be able to produce a number for that.
Edited by Mitimem on 10/14/2013 7:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
10/07/2013 05:02 AMPosted by Areos

The fact that you're saying that makes it clear you're not nearly as experienced as you may believe you are.

Why does your name look so familar?

And Idk why you guys are getting so upset at the OP.

All he wanted to know is which healer tops meters. Which healer looks best on recount...Thats the friggin title.

Chill out, get off his case and answer the damn question. If not, then leave.

IMO Op. Healers I see always topping meters...

On huge consistent aoe healing fights like Iron Jugg, AoE heals HolyPriest/Druids/Shamans.

Anything with a mixture of it Druids/Shams seem to be amazing. Disc can easily shine where it can use atonement healing to snipe heals.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

While I don't think that meters are useless as a way of measuring the performance of healers in a team, I do think that you're mistaken about a few things.

There are many reasons why a healer's performance might fluctuate or look abnormally low or high on the meters.

Throughput vs. Mitigation - Mitigation healers (Holy Paladins and Disc Priests) will tend to far outstrip Throughput healers on the meters in low-to-medium damage encounters. The reason for this is quite simple - Mitigation healers are able to snipe healing far better than their Throughput healer comrades. Since absorbs are counted first any time damage is dealt, absorbs will soak up their full amount of damage before allowing the Throughput healers any chance to, well, heal. And if there simply isn't that much damage going out, there isn't going to be anything for your Shaman, Druid, Monk or Holy Priest to heal.

Healers assigned to a specific task - Sometimes, for whatever reason, a healer will be assigned a specific task that they need to carry out during the encounter. On Norushen, for instance, you may assign 2-3 of your healers specifically to the task of soaking the orbs that drop from the larger adds. This is their most important job - more important than healing or their own performance. As such, especially with classes that do not move and heal easily, this can lower their performance because they simply aren't healing 100% of the time. Yet, if these healers did not do their job, the damage would quickly become unhealable.

Range Issues - The person logging the fight may have been out of range of a particular healer or healers. This is the most common culprit when one person in the log is at some random activity level of like, 67% while everyone else is at 97%+, but the guy at the low activity level didn't die during the encounter. Combat logging addons only track a finite distance, and once someone goes out of range of that distance, the addon can't see their actions anymore.

The fight does not cater to their class - Disc Priests tend to look much lower on the meters for Immerseus and Malkorok. This is in part due to Disc Priest's lack of burst healing (they are mitigation healers, they are not throughput healers), and the shield mechanic itself in the Malkorok encounter. Now, there are other reasons to bring them to both encounters, but meter fapping is not one of them. By the same token, fights like Klaxxi Paragons and Sha of Pride tend to tip the scale in the opposite direction, favoring Disc Priests and Holy Pallies over, say, a Holy Priest due to the fact that most (if not all) of the damage is on strict timers and intermittent until the last phase. There's simply nothing to heal for the majority of the fight.

These are just a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more. But, again, the issue is that people look at meters and just see numbers, and don't think about the actions behind those numbers. Healing is really not measured well purely by numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Why does your name look so familar?

All he wanted to know is which healer tops meters. Which healer looks best on recount...Thats the friggin title.

Chill out, get off his case and answer the damn question. If not, then leave.

IMO Op. Healers I see always topping meters...

On huge consistent aoe healing fights like Iron Jugg, AoE heals HolyPriest/Druids/Shamans.

Anything with a mixture of it Druids/Shams seem to be amazing. Disc can easily shine where it can use atonement healing to snipe heals.

We did answer, it varies. There is no way to give a specific answer because it always depends on the fight and it always depends on the healer comp.

Being top on the charts doesn't mean you're doing it right.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

I don't think anyone was getting upset at the OP. I think we gave the OP the correct answer, "it varies/too many variables for a clear cut answer," and she followed with "i realize this i'm a very experienced healer, but for the purposes for this post, numbers are everything".

Look at your own answer. You couldn't point to a single healer who looked best on recount without providing the context of an encounter type.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Being top on the charts doesn't mean you're doing it right.

Thats not the point of this thread though.

Look at your own answer. You couldn't point to a single healer who looked best on recount without providing the context of an encounter type.

I gave him different options. From my experience, RShams and Druids are doing a lot of HPS.

I may not be as progressed as some of the people in this thread...But Im a Flex raid hero. I do it for fun when Im bored and no one to arena with, I've seen a lot of healers and the ones that stand out are the ones that have a bit of everything.

Like Holy Priest not doing well on fights with predicted damage, compared to Disc..We arent the spec that looks really good.. I dont see many Holy priest,Paladins or Monk healers topping meters consistantly.

And yes. Healing meters arent a direct correlation of skill. I've been healing since MC first was released. I know far too well that they arent everything...But they are something! Its not fair to completely disregard healing meters, along with dispel meters and my personal favorite, overheal meters.

On those nights we all love, progression nights..Its good maintain efficiency while keeping people alive. Healing meters show how efficient a healer is (If no one else is dying)
Edited by Lovestoned on 10/14/2013 6:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

The topic of the thread cannot be answered in the way the OP wanted because there is no single healer that looks best on recount. It's why she edited her first post.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/14/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Elethia

The topic of the thread cannot be answered in the way the OP wanted because there is no single healer that looks best on recount. It's why she edited her first post.

Basically.

Numbers aren't everything. You can give someone a generalization but that doesn't mean the answer is accurate. A disc priest may top the charts on one fight but be lower than a druid on another. A shaman may be low on one fight (or in one tier :P) but rock in another. Too many variables. There is no single healer that dominates all fights, so no simple answer can or will be given.

No one got upset, an answer was given which they didn't like but it was accurate none the less. If someone picks a healer because of how many or how often they top the charts, they should reconsider.
Edited by Veroicone on 10/14/2013 7:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I think Shaman look best on recount because they are represented by a nice, rich blue color.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Dang it. You beat me to the punch. But in all seriousness its obviously the gnome one! And to put this out there disc priest will usually have the least overhealing for whatever that's worth these days. As I've said many times meters are very deceptive for healing. You can't just look at healing done or hps to determine anything really. Like take Elegon for instance. Since the boss took more damage and you did more healing disc and MW shone on that fight. On fights like Thok shaman can do amazing numbers. The sooner people realize this game is situational the sooner we can have less of the same forum posts over and over.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I get wrecked by shamans in some of the flex raids I do. One time while 3 healing a 16 man raid group, a shaman was doing 130-160k hps while myself only contributed about 80k. That was with him having something around 200% overhealing as well.

No other class has really given me trouble meterwise for healing.
Reply Quote
41 Blood Elf Monk
i think i look best on recount because the heals i do to myself as a brewmaster at level 30 are pretty great.
Reply Quote
3 Undead Warlock
The healer that looks the best is the healer that got through whatever encounter with everyone alive.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The healer that looks the best is the healer that got through whatever encounter with everyone alive.

Oh, that's silly. Especially in a tier chock full of ways for DPS to gib themselves. :D
Reply Quote
3 Undead Warlock
If everyone lived, the healer/s did they're job, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
If everyone lived, the healer/s did they're job, lol.

And if people died, it was probably their own fault. :-P That doesn't mean the healers didn't do their jobs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I was accused of being a terrible healer during RF on my shaman because I had the lowest HPS of any healer that run. I was mostly using my healing totems and damage prevention, and nobody died (except for the mage who purposefully stood in the sand during council of elders), so I don't trust meters.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]